Securing Manufactured "Barnwood" To Studs? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffmattero76
  • 2 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By Fish_Stick
  • 1 Post By More Power!

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 141

Securing Manufactured "Barnwood" To Studs?

I'm going to be doing one wall of my remodel with this Weaber 1/2 in. x 4 in. x 4 ft. Nantucket Gray Poplar Weathered Board

I'm wondering if 23 ga. pin nails and something like Liquid Nails will be enough to secure it, or should I use 18 ga. brads?

I like the idea of the pin nailer for the small footprint it generates. But I've never worked with Liquid Nails, or, in fact, ever relied on a construction adhesive for structural integrity.

The other thing is I don't want to make life miserable for whomever might come after me. So something that'll stay put, but can be removed short of employing explosives would be great. If I use a construction adhesive to secure these boards, just how hard will they be to remove?
More Power! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,520

Re: Securing Manufactured "Barnwood" To Studs?

Liquid Nails has a long tack off time. Use FuzeIt for a quick tack and superior hold. The 23 gauge pin nails will be fine, but you should hit a stud every chance you get. With 4' boards, you realize you will have a close repeat pattern, right?

Don't worry about the next guy. You are doing it for your enjoyment, so enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the follow-up and suggestion, chandler48.

It's only about a 5 ft. long wall, with the studs on more-or-less 20 in. centers, anyway. So it'd be a close-repeating pattern no matter what.

It isn't just "the next guy" I'm thinking about. I'm also thinking "What if I want to get these boards back off?"

Re: The FuzeIt: Run a bead the width of each board, or just a dab'll do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 04:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 18

If you did decide to remove it, what would you be left with? If studs that would then require drywall or some other covering, having used the adhesive would not be a problem. However, if you would be left with drywall or plaster, and would have to scrape off the old glue, that might be a problem.

If it were me, I think I would use the 18 gauge finish nails. That would make future removal far easier.

Just my $.02.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:56 AM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,520

FuzeIT. Small dots all along the length of the board, not to big to cause it to pooch out, but remain smooth to the wall once it is pressed in place.
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
If you did decide to remove it, what would you be left with? If studs ...
Yeah, studs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
If it were me, I think I would use the 18 gauge finish nails. That would make future removal far easier.
And I may do just that. I'm just exploring options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
FuzeIT. Small dots all along the length of the board, not to big to cause it to pooch out, but remain smooth to the wall once it is pressed in place.
There's nothing but studs there now. My fault. I should have mentioned that in the first place Studs on 20 in. centers. That's why I asked "along the width of the barnwood boards or..."

Sorry about that.
Old Today, 08:15 AM   #7
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,454

I would put up a sacrificial sheet of drywall, this gives the barnwood something to grab with the dots of adhesive, and easy to replace after whomever later decides to tear it out.

This optimizes the current desire to have the style, and later when tastes change, easy to replace with new drywall, because no matter how sparing you are with the adhesive, it will rip big holes out in removing the Barnwood.

ED
Fish_Stick and chandler48 like this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:40 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
I would put up a sacrificial sheet of drywall, this gives the barnwood something to grab with the dots of adhesive, and easy to replace after whomever later decides to tear it out.

This optimizes the current desire to have the style, and later when tastes change, easy to replace with new drywall, because no matter how sparing you are with the adhesive, it will rip big holes out in removing the Barnwood.

ED

This ^ Plus depending on how the studs are laid out you may have significant waste landing the 2 boards on a stud.
de-nagorg likes this.
Fish_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:41 AM   #9

Thanks for the suggestion, de-nagorg. I think, though, if I were going to do something like that I'd go with 1/4" OSB before using drywall. I'll consider it.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old Today, 01:55 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 122

I put up my own decorate weather-wood wall a few years ago. Cedar pickets that i cleaned up at the planer, squared to length, and treated with a vinegar-steel wool solution.

I marked out the stud locations and used 18ga nails -- no glue. After a few years, there are one or two boards that have lifted slightly due to wood movement, but no major issues. If i did it all over again, i would probably add some construction adhesive. I might also think about spending the effort to create a dados on the edge so the boards overlap each other.

Realistically, if i ever pull down the wood, I will have to skim coat the entire wall to cover up the nail holes prior to painting.

Don't think about the next person who will have to remove/deal with your method of installation. Unless that person is you -- and you might change your decor in the near future. If you plan to leave the wall for several years -- having to replace one wall several years from now really isn't that bad.

Just glue it, and enjoy your home.
alexjburkhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement