Raise A Deck - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree22Likes

Old 01-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 76

Raise a deck

I've made some changes last summer in our back yard and when all was said and done I have a little deck work left to do. The composite on the deck is ~18 years old and it doesn't look good. Wrong color now and it is infected with mildew. Power washing helps, but even if I cut a board I can see the mildew throughout the board. Don't ever buy CorrectDeck. Anyhow I will resurface it. Suggestions on brands that are reasonably priced would be good, but I have a carpentry question.

I have two deck segments next to each other. Both 12x12. One 12x12 is attached to a leger board on the house and the other is floating. The floating segment is a step down from the other. I'm tired of the step down. I'd like to raise the floating one to be level with the other. The floating one is on about 9 piers near the ground. The posts are only 3-6 inches high! So my question is when I have the deck surface off how to raise the floating deck? I don't know yet how the posts are attached. They may all be boxed into the rafters making them hard to remove. Can I stack another post under each one with some kind of connector? Remove the posts and replace them? And when I get it raised do I leave it floating and just attached by the deck boards or should I attach the last rafter to the deck which has the leger board?

thanks
steve
dsm1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,476

Re: Raise a deck

Now that you have one post under your belt, you can post pictures, which would help us see what you see. If your plan includes removing the decking, you will have a lighter job. Once the decking is removed, install one piece across, at an angle to help keep the deck from racking when you move it. I would not extend the posts, but, make temporary "cripples" throughout it so it can be set at the height you want. Once you have adjusted the deck, attached it to the house (if that is in the plans), then you can remove the stubs you now have for posts, and install new footers and new posts to incorporate your handrails. We'll also wait on the pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,542

Once you get the decking off, it will be easier to see what you have, and YES replace the posts with longer ones.

Never try to scab anything as an extender on something like this.

Yes attach it to your other deck, even better also attach it to the house via another ledger.

And use diagonal temporary bracing to keep it square after you remove the decking, to raise it up, then after raising it remove the bracing, and recover it with decking.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,650

A 2x4 over a fulcrum will lift that no problem, some kind of jack if you are working alone.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 708

Use one piece legs. Piecing them will be awkward and subject to "hinging".
Ditto on the jacks. Use a couple and set deadmen to position/dog the raised deck while you r + r the old legs so the deck doesn't wander around on you and possibly fall.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of the post connections.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Why do all that work? Build another floor on top of the existing deck.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #7
Naildriver

And when your neighbors ask what that butt ugly thing is on your house you can make up a story about support or some other thing. Move it or remove it. Don't build on to it.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:48 AM   #8
Guapo

Why would it be ugly? You add a rim joist to it.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #9
Naildriver

Stacking 2x10's on top of 2x10's would look like a battle ship.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #10
Guapo

I didn't say to paint it gray.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
I didn't say to paint it gray.
" That's Funny" Ha Ha .
Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,650

Let us not forget just how light this thing will be when the decking is removed.

If it was a framed wall 2 men would stand it up in a heart beat.
123pugsy likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #13

Had some account issues for a couple days but an admin finally straightened it out for me and merged back an older account I had to boot. Anyhow, the deck was buried under snow and ice. It finally melted pretty far back today but we're getting heavy rain followed by a freeze tomorrow. Hopefully it will be clear enough I can reach under there and get a post pic in the morning. It does sound like I should just jack it up and put new posts on the piers. Since I'm removing the surface anyhow it shouldn't be too hard. Also it sounds like I should attach it to the other deck. I don't want to add a leger board for this piece to the house because I'd have to cut back the siding and I've got enough piers on this part that I don't need it. Will try for some pics tomorrow.

thanks
123pugsy and Nealtw like this.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #14
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm1212 View Post
Had some account issues for a couple days but an admin finally straightened it out for me and merged back an older account I had to boot. Anyhow, the deck was buried under snow and ice. It finally melted pretty far back today but we're getting heavy rain followed by a freeze tomorrow. Hopefully it will be clear enough I can reach under there and get a post pic in the morning. It does sound like I should just jack it up and put new posts on the piers. Since I'm removing the surface anyhow it shouldn't be too hard. Also it sounds like I should attach it to the other deck. I don't want to add a leger board for this piece to the house because I'd have to cut back the siding and I've got enough piers on this part that I don't need it. Will try for some pics tomorrow.

thanks
Good plan.

As mentioned above, you won't even need to jack it up. Just lift a corner at a time and shove something under as you go.

No ledger is the best thing you can do. I have one deck attached to my house, but it didn't require a ledger. Sweet.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #15

Well, it was not quite like i thought. I had cut off the front of the lower deck even with the upper one. Then put two steps all the way across. On the lower part the upper step is flush with the lower deck. So I think I can detach all that. However the front part of the lower deck I removed was on posts. It looks like the rest of it is on several beams. Hmmm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement