Pull Out Drawer For Base Cabinet - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Pull out drawer for base cabinet

My wife is asking me to do some pull out drawers for our kitchen cabinets. I don't think its a big deal, just looking for a design ideas. For cabinets with one door, is easy. The cabinets with two doors and a center brace separating the two doors is an issue. The design of our cabinets have a wide center brace which means the I loose a lot of storage. It also means I have to build two drawers. I rather build one large drawer where I can put large pots.

One of the things I saw was to cut out the center brace and attach it to one of the doors. So when you close the doors, it would make it look like the center brace is there. I want this to be the last option since it looks tacky when the doors are open.

Does anyone have any ideas or pictures? I rather not order new cabinet doors. I had a carpenter made me new doors and he had a horrible time finding a matching trim. So much that he had to use the old trim from some of my spare doors. He said that he doesn't have a bit and can't find anyone who has that bit.

Thanks for any ideas!
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,204

Checked at Lowes and HD to see the ones they have, there also sold on line already made.
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,652

Ikea is a good resource. There are some designs, that you can place a drawer where the Toe Kick is.

Personally it is easier to just get the Drawer Cabinets, than sticking some into existing cabinets. The hardest part is finding a in cabinet drawer unit that fits in fine for the interior spacing.

All of the leading cabinet manufacturers have the inside the cabinet drawers that you can purchase as accessories.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 249

Unless you have a long span (30"+), I'd opt for removing the center stile and attaching it to one of the doors. Personally, I don't think its tacky when open, its functional. And, how often do you leave the base cabinet doors open when you're not trying to get something from inside?

I would probably cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to attach to the back of the rail above the stile you remove, just to reinforce it. To cut out the stile, I would clamp two scrap wood guide blocks on the top and bottom of the cut line (clamp the top one on, then sandwich the saw plate between it and the bottom one and clamp the bottom one on, reverse for the bottom of the stile). Go at it with a flush cut saw (Harbor Freight has a great one for $8). This will keep the saw kerf super thin, guide it straight, and require little cleanup of the stile afterwards.

If side mount slides, I would add a shim to the cabinet side, near the back, to allow drawer slides to be mounted, or purchase the rear mounting brackets (as long as your cabinet back is thick enough to support it, the shims are easier IMO).

The other option is to make the existing doors and stile into a false front for the pullout, and the whole front slides out. I've never done that, but have seen pictures, and that boils down to whether you find is aesthetically pleasing or tacky.

Last edited by Durt Ferguson; 06-16-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,392

Just so you are aware: If you remove the center stile and attach it to a door, you'll create an overlapping astragal.

IE: The leaf with the astragal will have to be opend last and closed 1st.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 402

You can do through Ikea as they have the good resources. However, the most important point to keep in mind is finding the right size, shape and color.
fortunerestore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement