Plywood "Plank" Flooring - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SPS-1
  • 1 Post By CodeMatters
  • 1 Post By huesmann
  • 1 Post By huesmann

Old 06-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Plywood "Plank" Flooring

Has anyone tried cutting plywood down into narrow planks and putting it down in place of regular hardwood flooring or laminate? If so, how long ago did you do it, and how is it holding up?

I'm skeptical that regular plywood can age well but I've thought that maybe hardwood plywood might work.
mitchleeanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,622

Re: Plywood "Plank" Flooring

"Engineered" flooring is basically plywood, but is made to work properly as flooring.

First, it has tongue and groove to keep the boards accurately aligned in height. In your scenario, you would have difficulty keeping them flush.

Second, flooring has small bevels on all four sides, at the top, because even the tongue and groove has a certain amount of tolerance.

Third, engineered flooring will typically have a factory applied finish of first stain, then perhaps half a dozen coats of UV cured urethane. And commonly top layer will have aluminum oxide or similar dust, which makes for an extremely hard top surface.

Can you make flooring from plywood --- sure. Has anybody done it -- probably, but not me. But I doubt its a good idea.
joecaption likes this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,142

First I've heard of this. Just watched a video where the guy used
1/4" birch plywood. Interesting.
Nealtw likes this.
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #4

There are lots of ideas-good and bad-on pinterest. This is one I wasn't sure of. All other considerations aside, it's undoubtedly a cheap way to put down a floor.

The house we bought two years ago has the same blah pergo flooring throughout. I'm just considering other options.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,335

Given sufficiently thick plywood, you could make your own T&G. I'm still not sure why you'd want to, given that ply is about $1.75/SF, plus your labor costs in ripping and routing the T&G, and that engineered hardwood is available in a plethora of colors for a few cents more per SF (and regular laminate can be had for even less).
joecaption likes this.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #6

The posts that I've seen on pinterest don't say anything about T and G. It seems they just saw the planks to the desired width and put them down on the sub-floor.

I've not seen anything about long-term durability, so I thought maybe someone here could speak to that.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,942

Oak plywood I've seen had fairly thin finish layer. And they are expensive as well. But I could assume that thin layer is the same oak as the surface of a solid oak strip floors. Floors are also sanded and refinished by outfits, not the factory finished flooring. Oil or water base, I could assume the finish will last about 20 years in a family house, and it is the high traffic areas that will show the damages and age. So it is possible to do the floor with home made plywood strips.
But sps-1 gave you reasons why home made doesn't make sense. I can add that you will have to face nail, about every 6 inches along the long edge. And you will have to keep the strips narrow and maybe even kerf the back side so the strips stay flat and not curl. Thin strips and that many nails, you are looking at a bed of nails, so to speak. Then sand the whole thing so you are not walking on the floor and feeling every edge and possibly picking up splinters every few months. Your subfloor is not going to be flat and the plywood is not going to be dead flat even from the factory.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for your replies. I think I've gained the perspective I needed for this topic.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchleeanderso View Post
The posts that I've seen on pinterest don't say anything about T and G. It seems they just saw the planks to the desired width and put them down on the sub-floor.
Are they nailed or glued? Without the T&G there's nothing leveling each piece to its neighbor.
Mystriss likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #10

Liquid nails with regular nails around each plank perimeter.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #11

Huh. Well, if you did something like that, you'd better like your floor because it's gonna be a PITA to change it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement