New Cabinet Is...mostly Good - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bcemail

Old 04-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 302

New cabinet is...mostly good

First a big thanks for all the help and inspiration around here. Finally was able to install all the doors and everything for my sort of emergency bath vanity rebuild (https://www.diychatroom.com/f14/need...r-sink-683387/). Still have some trim to finish to cover up the edges of the linoleum. Was going to pull that, but wasn't ready to deal with the creaking subfloor and what that might hold!

Overall, I'm very happy how everything came out, seeing as I've never built a cabinet or doors before, and the space was nowhere near square. Having to squeeze it into a presized nook was a pain, and I'm sure getting to build a nice, square, free-standing cabinet would be nicer. Plus only using a circular saw and hand held trim router meant a LOT more time. I probably would just buy doors next time. The building of the doors just took some practice to make the grooves, but then all the filling, sanding, priming, painting, trying to get it smooth, etc., took a loooong time. Originally priced out painted cabinet doors, then was surprised that unpainted maple were cheaper, then I painted mine and saw why. Next time, I'd go with non-painted, but I had enough mistakes this time that I needed paint to smooth it all out.

So, couple of problems with the doors closing on the two that meet in the middle. Picture 2 and 3 show that the right hand door doesn't quite sit flush at the top when closed. With the type of hinge I used, I don't see any way to adjust the fit (Amerock 1/2" overlay, I think these: https://www.knobs4less.com/Amerock-C...ebp7550wn.html). I tried loosening the screws and adjusting, but since the hinge sits flush with the stile, I can't really push it in at all. Is there a way to fix? Maybe chisel out a tiny bit under the hinge? Just worried this will be an eye sore, but maybe nobody (other than me) would notice.

Pictures 4 and 5 show the left hand door. The bottom doesn't close, which I knew was going to happen, as my middle stile ended up not square, and stand proud on that side. Couldn't get both the top and the bottom square with the frame, since I guess those ended up not perfectly parallel. Again, nothing was really square, and the lumber I used was probably not true ("prime" pine from HD; looked about as good the poplar, since I don't have a jointer or anything). Next time I think I would build the frame then attach as one piece. Before painting, I should have figured out a way to plane it down or something, but was worried of making things worse, and hoped for the best. I think the only options are to smooth it down, which would then require touch up painting, and I'm worried that would stick out like a sore thumb. But maybe the door would cover it enough? I do I chisel out under the hinge?

Please let me know what you think the best way to try and finish this project off! And thanks again for all the expertise around here!
Attached Thumbnails
New cabinet is...mostly good-overall.jpg   New cabinet is...mostly good-right-door-1.jpg   New cabinet is...mostly good-right-door-2.jpg   New cabinet is...mostly good-left-door-1.jpg   New cabinet is...mostly good-left-door-2.jpg  

bcemail is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,552

Re: New cabinet is...mostly good

To hold door like it, this latch works best. Depends on why the door isn't even, but there's noway to fix it now. Was the door flat when assembled? Frame joints maybe weren't square.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,596

No way you can warp the door to fit?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,798

Is it so bad that you can't live with it as is.

You missed a coupe things to check before you did the face frame.
You can try card shims behind the hinge on the doors. Top of one door and bottom of other door.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post

To hold door like it, this latch works best. Depends on why the door isn't even, but there's noway to fix it now. Was the door flat when assembled? Frame joints maybe weren't square.
Thanks, I might try a latch like that. Not sure if the door was perfectly flat or not. Probably not, since it was sort of dependent on the lumber being flat. For the one, I'm guessing the stile was a little twisted, leading to the door not sitting flush.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
No way you can warp the door to fit?
Not sure, how would you go about doing that?
Old 04-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Is it so bad that you can't live with it as is.

You missed a coupe things to check before you did the face frame.
You can try card shims behind the hinge on the doors. Top of one door and bottom of other door.
I probably will end up living with it. I think I'm the only one who really notices, and overall it looks way better than what was there. Just bug me!

I'll try some shims, that might be an easy solution if it works! Thanks
Nealtw likes this.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,552

If shims, create more sideways room for the screws with a drill bit spinning in an angle.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 4,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcemail View Post
Not sure, how would you go about doing that?
Figure out which corner of the door needs to be closer to the cabinet frame, remove the door, set it on a flat surface, prop up the two corners that are adjacent to the one that needs adjustment, weight down the other two corners, let sit for a few days?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement