Need Exterior Glue Advice - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 322

Need exterior glue advice

I built an outdoor storage bench out of cedar and need advice for the best waterproof glue out there. My first top has four pieces around edges with stright boards running parallel to each other in the middle that are glued together. Each board I ripped a groove down the middle of side edges then installed random biscuit like inserts (drawing blank on actual name) and glued them together using Titebond exterior waterproof glue:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Titebond-...5yc1vZc5dkZ2mn

First time it rained (few days after final assembly) the glue gave way and water leaks through the areas where there is biscuit. Not sure why or what I did wrong.

Anyways, I built a new top using tongue and groove everywhere so when assembled there are no gaps and I would like to glue together to ensure no water leaks through.

What glue should I use, obviously not using Titebond again and not a fan of Gorilla glue but will if it's the best application. Top is 41" x 21" so it would be nice for the glue to have some time to assemble and set clamps up before it sets.

Thanks
mske390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,538

For wood, my favorite is PL-Premium (in caulking tube). Its a moisture cure urethane, just like Gorilla Glue. Its going to expand as it sets, and squeeze out of the joints.

Read the label of the Tite-bond --- it says water-resistant, not water-proof.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 322

Quote:
Great for handling outdoor woodworking projects, the Titebond II 16 fl. oz. Premium Wood Glue offers ANSI-Type II water-resistance and is FDA approved for indirect food contact, and is also ideal for radio frequency gluing systems. The glue is ideal for fixing outdoor furniture, mailboxes, birdhouses, planters and more with its strong initial tack, fast set time and superior strength.
Weatherproof one-part wood glue ideal for exterior projects
Easy clean up with water
Sets in 60 minutes and cures in 24 hrs
Great for use with outdoor furniture, mailboxes, bird houses and more
Meets ANSI Type-II water-resistance standards
Huh, seems to be exactly what I was hoping it would do for me? If great for outdoor furniture am I to bring them in when rain comes?
mske390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,118

Post a picture of what it is your trying to do.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 72

Polyurethane based is the key. PL Premium (as mentioned) is good, Liquid Nails has a poly base exterior glue that's good also.

In a pinch I've used poly based caulking such as Vulkem to glue up Cedar. You'll end up ripping the wood apart before you'll be able to break the bond.

Tightbond 3 is a good exterior glue and is much thinner than the others mentioned. I use it for small stuff like gluing back a small piece of a trim detail that has broke off.

Gorilla Glue is also good on Cedar but there's a learning curve to using that stuff correctly.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-17-2015 at 07:19 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 320

I've used the Titebond II for exterior and didn't have a problem. Should try and determine if glue was at fault or your methods.

Was the glue old or did it possibly freeze? Did you evenly spread enough glue on the joints? Did you use excessive clamping pressure to close the joints?

Only asking because you could have another failure even if you use a polyurethane based adhesive if your methods aren't right.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,220

I realize this thread is a week old. But for the record Titebond II is water resistant while Titebond III is water proof. If its outdoors and exposed to lots of moister Titebond III is the product to use.
craig11152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 249

I'm surprised that the TBII failed the first time it got wet. I normally use TBIII in my cutting boards, but have used TBII in a pinch for my own, and have yet to have one fail, and they routinely get soapy and wet.

TB requires a good tight joint to work. It does not do well in gaps, it doesn't expand like Gorilla Glue does. Was your joint nice and tight? On smaller panels/laminations with a slight spring joint, you should be able to get squeeze out the entire length, with only one clamp in the middle (and maybe one on each end holding the edges flush vertically).

Do you have a picture of the joint that failed?
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement