Miscut Angle On Cedar Beam - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 05-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 706

miscut angle on cedar beam

I sent some 4x6 rough cedar to a cabinet shop, and they miscut the angle on one side...so instead of / / they did a / \. They didn't exit the other side completely so the rough face I wanted to preserve is not affected. I was hoping I could fill the fubarred wrong cut with something that wouldn't stain the wood, and recut over it.

Any clues out there? The final result would be a 4"x3" board with the rough cedar side facing down. It will be a curb for a skylight so will show. All the other boards match it perfectly, so it would be nice to be able to use this one instead of having to try to match a new beam, not to mention the added expense.

Thanx in advance for any recommendations for filler or if maybe we can cut first and fill error later.

Last edited by onjtrainee; 05-20-2017 at 08:51 PM.
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: miscut angle on cedar beam

Epoxy or Polyurethane Gorilla glue with a sliver of wood to fill the space?
Any offcuts from the other cuts that might be able to be used at a filler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 04:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Epoxy or Polyurethane Gorilla glue with a sliver of wood to fill the space?
Any offcuts from the other cuts that might be able to be used at a filler?
Well, the space to be filled is only the width of the table saw blade. My experience with gorilla glue is it expands alot and would probably make a mess. Thought about liquid nails or something like that. I'm not at the shop but I bet there's a ton of sawdust if needed..just don't think there's a lot of space to fill and maybe would be better to over cut the opposite / and glue/fill later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 356

If not structural, cedar sawdust and woos glue. Mix to a thick paste.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
If not structural, cedar sawdust and woos glue. Mix to a thick paste.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk
That's more what I thought except in order to get it into the crevice might be tricky. It has a 59" long gash approximately 1" long where it's wrong. If I can cut it first will be much easier to glue later as much of that angle will be cut off when corrected.

This is extremely good quality cedar..it seems to me if the blade is sharp and a bozo is not operating it, the cross cut to correct might be done before the glue job? The cut will be well started before it hits the wrong angle cut, and should just keep going without flipping chunks or shredding the wood?

Another thought...is there such a thing as a bladewidth shim /insert available commercially?

Last edited by onjtrainee; 05-21-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by onjtrainee View Post
Well, the space to be filled is only the width of the table saw blade. My experience with gorilla glue is it expands alot and would probably make a mess. Thought about liquid nails or something like that. I'm not at the shop but I bet there's a ton of sawdust if needed..just don't think there's a lot of space to fill and maybe would be better to over cut the opposite / and glue/fill later?
on the gorilla glue the white one doesn't expand the syrup kind does
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
on the gorilla glue the white one doesn't expand the syrup kind foams out and need to be cleaned before it hardens or it is hard to get off
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
on the gorilla glue the white one doesn't expand the syrup kind does
Does it dry clear?
Old 05-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 39

You (well, the shop) should be able to cut a slice off a scrap piece, 1/8" thick (whatever kerf is). Butter both sides with wood glue and tap into place. Trim up with chisel, then sand, after glue sets. You'll never see it.
ranger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger12 View Post
You (well, the shop) should be able to cut a slice off a scrap piece, 1/8" thick (whatever kerf is). Butter both sides with wood glue and tap into place. Trim up with chisel, then sand, after glue sets. You'll never see it.
I don't seem to have much control over pre gluing it prior to the cross cut. The shop is very busy and just does what it does. I'm praying that I can do what you are advising after the cross cut is made. Your solution sounds like the right one if i can get a slice thin enough. However I think it will be thinner than 1/8". Not sure if that means it will curl like something off a planer. Either way, it's in the hands of other than myself at this point. Just hope it doesn't blow apart on the cross cut without being glued first. Ergg....never got an answer about that first. Of course cutting first would make the gluing a much easier task.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 236

My first thought is that the cabinet shop owes you a new beam...
jamesgpobog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #12

yeah, I am really seriously considering buying the equipment and getting some training and doing it myself next time. 1/2 of all the wood I gave them was botched in one way or another, but cabinet shops around here can pick and choose and have a waiting list a mile long. So in a sense they feel they are doing me a favor to even bother with it.

I am grateful that so far the mistakes at least are not beyond repair and results will be adequate with some effort on my part.

Not right, and not how I'd run a business..but apparently not uncommon.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 236

Quote:
yeah, I am really seriously considering buying the equipment and getting some training and doing it myself next time. 1/2 of all the wood I gave them was botched in one way or another, but cabinet shops around here can pick and choose and have a waiting list a mile long. So in a sense they feel they are doing me a favor to even bother with it.

I am grateful that so far the mistakes at least are not beyond repair and results will be adequate with some effort on my part.

Not right, and not how I'd run a business..but apparently not uncommon.
Well, you are obviously a MUCH nicer person than I am, because if a shop ruined my materials, I would (if there was the least resistance to replacing it) bring more hell with me than just a little bit. There's Better Business Bureau, court, and dare I say it, social media.

Bottom line is they screwed you and have both a legal and moral obligation to make good.

Last edited by jamesgpobog; 05-26-2017 at 08:28 AM.
jamesgpobog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgpobog View Post
Well, you are obviously a MUCH nicer person than I am, because if a shop ruined my materials, I would (if there was the least resistance to replacing it) bring more hell with me than just a little bit. There's Better Business Bureau, court, and dare I say it, social media.

Bottom line is they screwed you and have both a legal and moral obligation to make good.
Until I can get the curb made a project that has been 3 years in the making will face further delay, and I promise you I see why I am probably the only person on the planet willing to wade thru all the obstacles I've met with to see this to fruition. Thus I am willing to put up with more than I normally would.

The wood itself is so hand selected I doubt they could replicate it or replace it even if they wanted to..I should have had it insured. It will be in God's hands how this gets accomplished. It is for a chapel on top of everything else..so you see, not quite your typical deal.

This whole experience has had quite an effect on my normal processes and tolerances, so hopefully the results will be worth the trials.

Thank you for your support however, I like hearing a little outrage from time to time at the level of incompetence that seems to be becoming all too pervasive.
jamesgpobog likes this.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #15
Koa

Rewards Points: 126

You mention one side and then say cross cuts. Maybe a pic would help clarify. It sounds solvable.

A CA glue with accelerator might work better than Gorilla white or polyurethane. Less bleeding. I'm assuming this is not being painted but maybe stained? Or left natural?

CA glue example...
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement