Milling Edge On Laminate Flooring - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By alexjburkhardt

Old 04-29-2019, 12:43 PM  

Rewards Points: 104

Milling Edge on Laminate Flooring

Hi All,

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any experiences with attempting to mill a new edge profile on laminate flooring?

I have a bi-level home, in which I replaced carpeting with laminate on the upper level. I'm in the process of formulating my plan of attack for refinishing the stairs, and need to decide on how i will deal with the transition between the laminate, and a solid wood nosing that will match new stair treads.

I've looked at the commercially available options, but would much prefer a flush transition, if at all possible. While i know there are edging products, typically provided by the flooring manufacturer, which use the same edge-lock profile, that is unfortunately not an option for my scenario ...

The stairs and upper level join each other at an angle. Meaning, that while the flooring was run parallel to the longest wall and hallway, the upper treads and nosing are not parallel to the room. The two levels are bisected by an angled joist that effectively serves as the rise for the top step. When installing the flooring, each piece that adjoined the stairs was individually measured and cut to the appropriate angle.

My initial thought is to use a straight edge and run a router along the floor's edge to create a shallow rabbet over which the nosing could lay. I had also thought about milling the edge perfectly straight with a router (or new track saw? haha) and then using a slot cutting bit to make a groove into which i could mate the nosing at the top of the stairway.

Is this a bad idea? other than taping along the cut lines, any other words of wisdom? Any other known alternatives?

In my head, i would attempt to carefully roll or burnish the cut edge into a mini chamfer to transition smoothly, as well.

At the end of the day, I must either figure out this path, or give in to a solution where the nosing overlaps the laminate, which i know will work, but i'm stubborn.

Thanks for any insight.

ab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 04:47 AM  
retired framer

Rewards Points: 16,548

Re: Milling Edge on Laminate Flooring

I always suggest people change to real wood for the treads but still have not seen any good answer for that top step. Have you seen the aluminum they are using on vinyl plank.
Skip to 28;00
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 06:16 AM  
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,980

Milling the edged of laminate will still give you a laminate edge, so IMO it is jousting at windmills. Laminate is difficult enough on flat, level smooth surfaces. Introduce it to a staircase and you introduce a different set of problems. You will need a nosing, period.

I'm with @Nealtw regarding using full dimension treads. When it comes to the landing, I just rip off the rounded edge on a number of pieces, use a biscuit cutter to join them, leaving one rounded edge for the nosing. I also use poplar risers (paint better). You will have a more stable set of stairs and won't have to deal with laminate.
Attached Thumbnails
Milling Edge on Laminate Flooring-crowley-steps.jpg  
Yodaman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 09:43 AM  

Rewards Points: 1,911

Not sure I understand the problem without pics. If you have a nice straight line on both the laminate and the nosing, what's the problem with a simple butt?
Old 04-30-2019, 10:42 AM  

Rewards Points: 2,188

If the laminate does not come with matching nosing, consider another brand. Laminate flooring is usually thin, about 1/4". I don't know if there's any nosing that will fit and make it a strong joint. You may have to butt a half round to the laminate and carefully file the half round to the laminate for flush joint, such as glued laminate sheets are done. Also see how the laminate can be anchored at the joint.

Did you check what's under the carpet? Do you already have nosing or is it a rough finished stairs?
Old 04-30-2019, 07:47 PM  

I was wrong that laminate nosing could be difficult. I saw something like it at the homedepot and it looks like the laminate companies already thought of solutions. Search the web for laminate floor stairs nosing.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:30 PM  

This image may help.

Just to be clear -- I will be making new hardwood treads for the stairs, so this problem only exists at the top step. The 2x12 material that's there now will be replaced with 3/4" material, then topped with 3/4" treads to maintain my thickness and riser heights (which, unfortunately, are way off).

I'm mainly looking for a solution to transition from laminate flooring that i laid on the upper level, to a solid wood nosing that will match the stairs below.

As for commercial options, the stairs do not meet the room at a 90' angle, so there is no way to utilize any readily available options -- that is, aside from those that sit over the laminate at the transition.
Attached Thumbnails
Milling Edge on Laminate Flooring-img_2508.jpg  
Nealtw likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:45 PM  

Before/During image for added color
Attached Thumbnails
Milling Edge on Laminate Flooring-qfje3227.jpg  
Old 05-01-2019, 06:15 PM  
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,980

Laminate, being a monster all to itself, will require that it floats, so any transition you use on the top stair nosing will have to allow for that. Any direct connection will cause the laminate to decouple during dry seasons. The only way to feasibly keep that from happening is to using one of the slip type nosings like: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Leg...93SN/202026346
Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 AM  

If you must diy a nosing, how about a half round trim? Or cut 1" dowel into half and face screw it to existing 2x12? You could reduce the 2x12 to fit the half round. Should be easy enough with an osillating saw with guide screwed to the riser and chisel out the corners?

BTW, one way to handle/cut a dowel is screw a flat stock to it. Dowel center finder may be handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement