Maximize Closet Space - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 115

maximize closet space

hello all

I am putting some shelves in my daughter's closet and would like to get some tips on how to best use all the available space.

The doors are 81" tall while the ceiling is 108" (9ft). The depth is 26". How can layout the shelves so that the space above the door is accessible and usable?

I was thinking of putting 18" deep shelves at the bottom (roughly 0 to 60") and then use 12" deep shelves at the top (from 60" to ceiling)

Thanks much
jemhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,475

Re: maximize closet space

How deep is the closet?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
How deep is the closet?

It's 26" deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,475

Shoot, I missed that. Reading is fundamental.

Do you think she would be willing to use a step stool to reach up? If so, run some shallow (<12") shelves up above the doorway that she can use for infrequently used items.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,682

Is there a clothes rod in the closet too?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,850

How wide is the door and how wide is the closet?
As Z asked, just shelves or a closet pole also?
Wondering if some shelves could be put on one side with a built in step on the other, drawer below that step.

Above 6' is difficult space to utilize for day to day so some step arrangement for occasional access would be best.

Bud
Old 06-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 100

Something like this?
Attached Images

JBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #8

This may be more than you want to get into, but if the framing could be modified to move the header up to the highest point and then either a tall door or a small door for the upper area, with a step stool.

Bud
Old 06-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 702

What do you want to use for shelves? Wire, melamine or something else?

Do you want them adjustable?

How wide are the doors? How wide is the closet?

Do you want hanging? Do you want long hanging? How about double hanging?

Take a look at my album to see one of the closets I designed.
jemhunter likes this.
As a technical writer, I tend to be lengthy in my responses as I want to be accurate.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
How wide is the door and how wide is the closet?
As Z asked, just shelves or a closet pole also?
Wondering if some shelves could be put on one side with a built in step on the other, drawer below that step.

Above 6' is difficult space to utilize for day to day so some step arrangement for occasional access would be best.

Bud
Hi Bud,

Few additional details. The doors are 69" wide and 81" tall. They are 2 sliding doors which make getting into the closet harder then swing doors.
The closet is 102" wide thus there are 2 small recessed areas (one on each side).

Reframing to use taller doors makes sense but that would be above my ability.

Given she needs a step-ladder to access the upper area, it will be storing less used stuff. For example winter clothes boxed up there during summer.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoot View Post
Something like this?
Yes something like that. I made a sketch (see picture) with rods, shelves, drawers, etc.

But I am still unclear how high the top shelf can be. Compared to your picture, the distance between the ceiling to the top of the door is about a foot more in my case. That is a lot of space that I am hoping to make use of.

I might have to drop that topmost shelf in my sketch,
Attached Thumbnails
maximize closet space-alice-closet.jpg  
Old 06-14-2019, 02:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownskier View Post
What do you want to use for shelves? Wire, melamine or something else?

Do you want them adjustable?

How wide are the doors? How wide is the closet?

Do you want hanging? Do you want long hanging? How about double hanging?

Take a look at my album to see one of the closets I designed.
OMG, your closet is bigger than my master bedroom :-D

Please see my sketch (above) for my daughter's miniature closet.

I plan to build mostly from plywood. Then not sure if I would paint or stain them them.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #13

Hi jemhunter,
I did some searching and didn't see a lot related to tall closets. Looking at your numbers you have the typical space above a top closet that is difficult to use plus the extra foot. You also have somewhat deep side areas that often don't get fully utilized.

Just food for thought, a 36" wide full depth center piece that could roll side to side would give you a left or right access area of about 32". From that space using a step ladder you would have access to the top of the slider plus the full height on both sides. I haven't added up the total usable area but it seems to be both an increase and better access.

Your thoughts.

Bud
Old 06-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 702

How about something like this?:
This is your main unit:

Then add this in the center:https://images.homedepot-static.com/...05-64_1000.jpg

Then get 2 of these for the side walls:
Get 4 of these to allow the shelved to be adjustable, these are 5', 7' are available as well as shorter:
Then get 2 of these for as many shelves as you want to add: They come in 12, 16 and 20" lengths.

You can use either wire or wood shelves.
If you use wire shelves, Linen or Close mesh. Put the nose into the lip of the shelf and then bring back and hook it into the claw on the back of the bracket. You can leave it like it is or get some shelf liner to make it smooth. It is in 12" or 16" depths.

Or you can use solid shelving like melamine, painted wood, laminate or something else. There are 2 holes in the bottom of the bracket. One short, one long. Just get the proper length for each side plus half the thickness of the shelf. You can butt them up against the hook or you can make a notch form them. Or you can make a notch for them and the hanging standard so that they can lay flat against the back wall.

Tell me what you think.

If you do decide to build it, use melamine and not plywood. If you so use plywood, put laminate on the plywood. And edge banding.
As a technical writer, I tend to be lengthy in my responses as I want to be accurate.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,766

Just some tips as I don't have time to think up a plan atm (maybe monday if I remember heh):

I'll tell you that I personally hate wire shelves; everything falls through and your clothes get lines on them even if they happen to not slip through the gaps - way too much ironing and "slippage." A sheet of plastic on the wire shelf makes it somewhat bearable, but it wasn't good enough for me. I tore all my wire shelving out within the first year.

The space on top (behind the header of the closet doors) is kinda useless for anything but long term storage. I don't have 9' ceilings but I only use mine for bedding. I put my top closet shelf up really high (there's enough of a gap between the header wall and the "front" of the shelf to pull those bags down) and I can stack rods for my clothes now. I wanted all my clothes in the closet dust protected because it's stuff that only gets worn maybe once a year for the most part so I did this:

maximize closet space-img_1070.jpg
(The dual rod thing is this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I also recommend putting in a shoe house - on the far right in my pic. ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I store my suitcases under the shorter bags on the right, and the laundry baskets go under the shorter bags on the left. Behind the left side I store all my long dresses in 72-78" bags. In the bottom of the larger bag on the left I put a sock rack (it's actually the white plastic thing under the bags on the right) but that stiffened up the bag and lets me store belts and lighter stuff in the one bag. But I digress...

IMO a good women's closet needs a shoe section, a section for 72" long dresses, a section about 52-56" tall for skirt suits & pants, and mostly 40" tall sections for most everything else (jackets, pants, shirts.) If you're storing sweaters then shelves are preferred for that. If you're storing scarves & belts then it's super nice to have narrow pullouts with hooks on the top (so the scarves/belts can hang straight and not need ironing or get "curl trained.") It's also good to have one tallish area in the shoe section for boots (I have a pair of thigh high suede boots I have to store on top of my shoe rack because they don't fit anywhere else :/)

PS - if you have sliding doors, do plan for where the doors land as for getting stuff out. The layout in the pic is actually pretty awful with my sliding doors and I need to change it. Can't get much out of the center stacked bags. I need to move them to the right side and put my suitcases and the 52" bags in the middle since I don't get into those as often.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)

Last edited by Mystriss; 06-14-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement