I Just Picked Up A Bunch Of Cherry Lumber And... - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By ktownskier
  • 3 Post By stick\shift
  • 3 Post By Two Knots
  • 2 Post By Two Knots
  • 1 Post By ktownskier
  • 1 Post By Two Knots
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 3 Post By Domo
  • 1 Post By Two Knots

Old 04-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 164

I just picked up a bunch of cherry lumber and...

I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Powermatic Planer/Jointer along with a bunch of other tools. (Table saw (Powermatic 60 with an Incra Table Saw/Router table combo, Rockwell Floor mount Drill Press and a beautiful handmade shop table) There was also an ad for some Free Cherry Wood.

I have been wanting a Planer for a long while. I have some wood in the basement that the former owner left behind. (I think it is walnut or mahogany) Before I can do anything with it, I need to plane it to take care of some rough spots. And having a Jointer would be great as well.

I responded to each ad and arranged to come look at the items. It turns out that they were from the same person.

The woman was selling her late husbands home woodworking shop. He had retired a year ago and had suddenly passed away this past fall.

When I got there, my wife had to hand me a rag to wipe up my drool. A two car garage, heated, with overhead storage racks (for the cherry wood), this big beautiful work table, a table saw set up just right. And the planer/jointer just waiting for me.

I was a kid in a candy store. There were so many things to look at and play with. Britt, the seller, really didn't have a clue as to how to price things. She had the table saw priced at $1200, WITH the incra setup. I told her that the Incra setup alone is over $1200!!

She had a bunch of accesories that she didn't know what they went with. I think my wife and I spent 2-3 hours going over things with her giving her some price suggestions on drills, routers, biscuit joiners, the work table, etc...

I did end up buying the planer/jointer and the Rockwell drillpress. I got both of them for $400 with a Starrett vernier caliper. (signed and certified!) and a couple of other things.

And of course about 600 board feet of cherry wood that was taken out of a house in Vail. It was finished in a darker stain so I am going to plane it down a bit and figure out what kind of finish to put on it. I have long and short boards, Most 5/4 by 8-12" and anywhere from 4-12' long

Now, I just need to stack it until I get my garage cleaned up and the planer working. (The seller said it worked, but, I just need to tune it up)
de-nagorg and Nealtw like this.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 09:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,266

Re: I just picked up a bunch of cherry lumber and...

So I read through all that and you're not asking a question, you're just bragging?
Bondo, de-nagorg and Nealtw like this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,595

Actually, heís sharing his joy, not bragging.

Congrats on your good purchases.
It was very nice of you to
give the lady some guidance on the value
of the tools. Weíre woodworking hobbiests, so
I can appreciate your enthusiasm.

Have fun with your new toys, I mean tools.
and make some good stuff with the cherry wood!
Dave Sal, de-nagorg and mark sr like this.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #4

@stick\shift and @Two Knots

You are both kind of right. A bit of braggin' and a bit of sharin'.

I did mean to ask a question though.

What is a good way to stack this short term?

I know I shouldn't stack it directly on the concrete floor. But is it okay to store it in a garage or should I move it to the basement?

Since it is already dry and has been on walls, ceilings, etc.. for umpteen years, do I need to sticker it?
Old 04-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #5

We have a rack that we made to keep the wood off the basement floor...

Our son just brought over a big load of recycled oak that he was storing
in his garage for a few years... And I mean a big load. brag, brag, brag...
de-nagorg and ktownskier like this.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #6

Show off, and good job on recycling. I love making stuff out of what would have been thrown away. Even if I just burn it in a fire pit.

Giving it just one more use is always better!!
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #7

I agree, itís an adventure to bring old wood to life again by
making something new from it.

This oak is from his church, they threw away all the oak kneelers
and replaced them with new ones. We had to strip off all the
leather and stuffing, fill all the screw holes and plane them smooth.
We made tons of stuff with this wood.
A lot of people kneeled and prayed on these kneelers, hopefully not too
many sinners!

Cherry is a gorgeous wood, any idea what youíre going to make with it?
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 10

Stickerin the planks will insure that any humidity that gets to it, will evaporate, before it settles in the middle of the stack.

So do separate the planks when you rack it.

A simple rack can be built out of 2X4s, and screws, I would advise making yourself a rack, until you can use this material.

And Congratulations on the SCORE, sad that the original owner passed, but you did a good deed, advising the wife, on the value of her stuff.

ED
landfillwizard likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownskier View Post
I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Powermatic Planer/Jointer along with a bunch of other tools. (Table saw (Powermatic 60 with an Incra Table Saw/Router table combo, Rockwell Floor mount Drill Press and a beautiful handmade shop table) There was also an ad for some Free Cherry Wood.

I have been wanting a Planer for a long while. I have some wood in the basement that the former owner left behind. (I think it is walnut or mahogany) Before I can do anything with it, I need to plane it to take care of some rough spots. And having a Jointer would be great as well.

I responded to each ad and arranged to come look at the items. It turns out that they were from the same person.

The woman was selling her late husbands home woodworking shop. He had retired a year ago and had suddenly passed away this past fall.

When I got there, my wife had to hand me a rag to wipe up my drool. A two car garage, heated, with overhead storage racks (for the cherry wood), this big beautiful work table, a table saw set up just right. And the planer/jointer just waiting for me.

I was a kid in a candy store. There were so many things to look at and play with. Britt, the seller, really didn't have a clue as to how to price things. She had the table saw priced at $1200, WITH the incra setup. I told her that the Incra setup alone is over $1200!!

She had a bunch of accesories that she didn't know what they went with. I think my wife and I spent 2-3 hours going over things with her giving her some price suggestions on drills, routers, biscuit joiners, the work table, etc...

I did end up buying the planer/jointer and the Rockwell drillpress. I got both of them for $400 with a Starrett vernier caliper. (signed and certified!) and a couple of other things.

And of course about 600 board feet of cherry wood that was taken out of a house in Vail. It was finished in a darker stain so I am going to plane it down a bit and figure out what kind of finish to put on it. I have long and short boards, Most 5/4 by 8-12" and anywhere from 4-12' long

Now, I just need to stack it until I get my garage cleaned up and the planer working. (The seller said it worked, but, I just need to tune it up)
Could I kindly suggest that your first cherry-project might be a serving tray, a fancy trivet, picture frame, or a small turned bowl and that you give this first project to the widow so that her husband's "hands" can deliver one more gift for their lives?
Dave Sal, de-nagorg and ktownskier like this.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Could I kindly suggest that your first cherry-project might be a serving tray, a fancy trivet, picture frame, or a small turned bowl and that you give this first project to the widow so that her husband's "hands" can deliver one more gift for their lives?
What a wonderful idea.

My first idea was to make a serving board out of some of the wood that the prior owner had left behind. As I needed to plane that wood to make it usable.

Now, I think I will a serving tray/cutting board out of a glue up of the two woods. Plane them to remove the finish/surface irregularities. Joint the sides to make them square to the fronts. Mark and drill holes using the drill press to make holes for dowels to keep them aligned.

Once everything is aligned, run them through the planer again to remove any glue squeeze out and get them flat again.

Sand them with a RO sander with progressively finer paper to make it as smooth as I can.

My only question is what kind of finish should I apply?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #11

Iím surprised that no one answered your question on what kind of finish to
apply. I guess there are no wood workers here???

Do you know what kind of cherry you have? Some cherry has a lot of
sap wood in it, so it may need staining.

I suggest you apply some poly on a few scraps and see what it looks
like natural and unstained) I donít know how much experience you have
in woodworking.

I like the idea ( as Domo suggested) to make a serving
tray. We made a simple serving tray for our LR that I love, (walnut and
birch) and another tray for the DR that I think is a bit clunky ( not our finest
work) but it serves the purpose anyhow.
ktownskier likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement