How To Modify Interior Stairs? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 111

How to modify interior stairs?

Hi everyone,

Stopping in for guidance from the carpenters in the cloud

I'm planning continuation of my renovation now that family life is settling down (for now). One of the projects is interior stair rebuild. The stairs are mortise. Nice, but noisy, narrow and dark. We want to open them up. Here is a run down of the idea.

1. There is a wall to the right of the stairs. It supports the floor joist above it as well as a wall above that in the blue bedroom. See pics below.

2. The wall in the blue bedroom is not load bearing. I want to move that wall one joist over, which would make the second set of stairs almost 4ft wide.

3. I would like the first set of stairs up to the first landing to have more risers and increase the first landing height. This would require me to cut back ceiling joist for headroom and create new boxed opening.

Where I get stuck...

Not calculating rise/run, but rather the framing technique for proper support of second floor above.

Obviously a temp wall is needed while I work. But for permanent support?

I figure I need to sister joist in crawl and add blocking for a post (4x4?) that will carry load down the inside of the "L" shaped box opening in the second floor. At the other end in the opening (just above first riser), I'm guessing sister ceiling joist?

What about the little ends (blocks) of joist that are left between the first and second floor walls once I cut them flush for the opening? Do I need to nail a joist along that wall? Wouldn't it's thickness stick out from the wall?

Lastly, a bonus question...

If I want to put a window in the stairway, how would I get a temp wall up high enough to support the attic joist?

Any ideas or pointers how to approach this are always appreciated. I would ask my dad and older brother, but they been gone coming up on 10 years. Our family has always been middle class DIYers, but anal at that. On with tradition

Thanks for reading.

How to modify interior stairs?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407382642.164599.jpg

How to modify interior stairs?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407382660.597871.jpg

How to modify interior stairs?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407382682.531451.jpg

How to modify interior stairs?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407382818.081174.jpg

How to modify interior stairs?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407382964.081340.jpgHow to modify interior stairs?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407382971.431459.jpg
luvdairish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 272

Sorry but I'm not getting the whole picture, and internet being what it is, I really don't want to spend an hour drawing up a plan according to your description then think about what you should do.
You are talking about moving walls to improve the stair case, and I think you need a carpenter to see the whole house.
A few things I can say:
If replacing a wall, even if the wall going up to the roof is not load bearing, you want some kind of support for the wall above and not just sitting on the floor.
For some load bearing wall and span, 4x10 or 4x12 lumber header is not enough and you may have to use an engineered header.
For any post supporting the header, its load must be continuous (esp the joist bays - dry and tight to underlayment and plates) and there must be a footing (24x24x12 thick and you don't need an engineer) resting on undisturbed earth.
Hope that helps.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 111

That was very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
luvdairish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement