Help!roof Top Deck Advise Needed. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Help!roof top deck advise needed.

Hello,friend asked to renovate the roof top and make any kind of privacy fence 6'.
I came out with those bison deck supports because I don't want to mess with roof membrane,there isan office right below it,so what is your suggestions about the fence,my thoughts are using Simpson ties right on that retaining wall.
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Zhyvets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 504

Re: Help!roof top deck advise needed.

You must get a permit. There may be a set back rules, open space/windows/fire escape vs privacy, anything on roof that can fall below. There are probably more rules. Anything you do, neighbors can call and inspector will force you to remove. Structurally, your roof may not be used as anything but roof.
With enough set back, it may be possible (guessing here) with slatted chain link fence and posts with anchoring concrete base. Maybe posts every 6', 4 sided walls with 4 corners braced. After this, you may be able to get away with linen curtain over the walls. Stretch it on top and bottom wire tracks.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Help!roof top deck advise needed.

I hate drilling holes into a roof. The less penetrations the better.
As to mounting them on the parapet wall, remove a section of the metal and confirm what you have to screw into.
Are you going to be adding a deck surface to the roof? Can the posts be include in the deck instead of drilling inot ht roof structure?
Personally, I think there are better fence panels out there. I never like to have closed panels where the wind acts on the full face. Maybe that is because the winds where I live can be strong and persistent. Most fences I build are of the good neighbour design where alternating boards are on opposite sides so it looks decent from either side and lets the wind come through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement