Gap Between Door Trim And Jamb - Fix? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 05-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Gap between door trim and jamb - fix?

We're having a house built and have had some issues with some of the subcontractors. A couple of weeks ago they put in the interior doors. The last couple of days the trim crew has been in, putting in the door trim, baseboards, etc. Tomorrow the interior painting and caulking is supposed to get started.

Problem is, almost all of the doors have a big, varying gap between the frame (jamb) and the trim. By "varying" I mean it will be nice and tight at the bottom, and get wider at the top, or vice-versa. Some doors just have it for a few feet, others are like this almost all the way around. In every case, it's only on one side, if that helps. Some of the gaps are about 1/4", a couple are big enough to stick your forefinger into.

We're running out of time in building this house. How do you think they would fix this? Here's a typical example:
Attached Thumbnails
Gap between door trim and jamb - fix?-doorframe.jpg  
Osmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,138

Re: Gap between door trim and jamb - fix?

I would have put a jam extension on it first. Spaced out with wood.
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,754

Totally unacceptable!
Whoever install that trim could have just tapped down the sheet rock and made it fit tight to the jamb.
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 802

Who would do that and think you'll be ok with it? Even with paint grade trim you can't leave that big of a gap and expect caulk to fix it.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmigo View Post
We're having a house built and have had some issues with some of the subcontractors. A couple of weeks ago they put in the interior doors. The last couple of days the trim crew has been in, putting in the door trim, baseboards, etc. Tomorrow the interior painting and caulking is supposed to get started.

Problem is, almost all of the doors have a big, varying gap between the frame (jamb) and the trim. By "varying" I mean it will be nice and tight at the bottom, and get wider at the top, or vice-versa. Some doors just have it for a few feet, others are like this almost all the way around. In every case, it's only on one side, if that helps. Some of the gaps are about 1/4", a couple are big enough to stick your forefinger into.

We're running out of time in building this house. How do you think they would fix this? Here's a typical example:
Is this a shear wall where there is plywood behind the drywall or is the drywall 5/8"
Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 562

What does the other side of that jamb and casing look like, specifically the gap between the casing and drywall?
ZEW496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #7
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,118

I would second the opinion that the drywall could be 5/8" (measure that the door jamb is 4 9/16").

Did the GC install the doors, and there is a millwork sub? Looking at the mitered corner of the casing, it doesn't even meet. Remember, you hold the purse strings . . .
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #8
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Totally unacceptable!
Whoever install that trim could have just tapped down the sheet rock and made it fit tight to the jamb.
What? You're kidding, right?

There is no such thing as a trim carpenter.

There IS a finish carpenter and those are the guys that are supposed to install the doors, baseboard, trim, crown, window sills, etc.

IMO the doors should come out and then be installed correctly and be correctly trimmed. This would be an easy job for a pro - but unfortunately it would be repeat labor because of incompetence from the NON Carpenters that have been on-sie. - as if one is called a door-hanger or something and there they're followed by "trim" carpenters.

Sorry if I've stepped on any toes - but come on... there are well established and defined jobs when it comes to building a house and each other those skilled trades is supposed to be responsible for their jobs, including coming back and doing it correctly.

How can the inspector pass this crap?
Nealtw likes this.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 PM   #9
Contractor/Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I would have put a jam extension on it first. Spaced out with wood.
Yes Nealtw - I have no doubt that you would have done the job correctly, just as any true finish carpenter would have done.

Thickness of the sheetrock or presence of plywood-faced shear wall is immaterial. A finish carpenter would install the jamb extension, square/plumb the door in the frame, shim and finish the trim. (Personally, I usually put on two legs of the trim on the extension and then put the door into the hole, that way, the trimmed side become flush automatically. I find that easier and faster when installing prehung doors.)

Guess I don't know what's going on in the field now-a-days...
Nealtw likes this.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Yes Nealtw - I have no doubt that you would have done the job correctly, just as any true finish carpenter would have done.

Thickness of the sheetrock or presence of plywood-faced shear wall is immaterial. A finish carpenter would install the jamb extension, square/plumb the door in the frame, shim and finish the trim. (Personally, I usually put on two legs of the trim on the extension and then put the door into the hole, that way, the trimmed side become flush automatically. I find that easier and faster when installing prehung doors.)

Guess I don't know what's going on in the field now-a-days...
From what I have seen here when they order pre hung doors you just tell them what the wall is, they come made to fit likely for pennies more.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:35 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 16

Thanks for the replies. Not sure where this is going to go. The doors were pre-hung. Builder gets them from McCoys. They were put in by a trim carpenter crew that does the doors, baseboards, etc. They are pretty good guys; the problem here seems to be something that was done wrong before they came in.

Will post updates later. Seems like the only way you can get reliable work from subs is to stand there and look over their shoulders 24/7.
Osmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,398

No excuse for this on a new house especially. Door jambs should have been ordered to fit the wall thickness. Like the others have said, looks like they may have used thicker drywall or else the drywallers did a sloppy job. I'd have them order the right sized doors (jamb thickness) and replace what's there.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,118

Quote:
Thickness of the sheetrock or presence of plywood-faced shear wall is immaterial.
Quote:
There is no such thing as a trim carpenter.

There IS a finish carpenter and those are the guys that are supposed to install the doors, baseboard, trim, crown, window sills, etc.

there are well established and defined jobs when it comes to building a house and each other those skilled trades is supposed to be responsible for their jobs
They're called "trim" carpenters as slang all the time. And its not set in stone, most GCs like to do the finish work themselves anyway. Some guys will only trim out the stairs. Some are only brought in to do complicated coffers/shelving/etc. Homebuilding is not as defined as commercial. The wall thickness is part of figuring out who and what went wrong, so the OP can bring the hammer down in the right place.
mark sr likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:56 AM   #14
Contractor/Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
They're called "trim" carpenters as slang all the time. And its not set in stone, most GCs like to do the finish work themselves anyway. Some guys will only trim out the stairs. Some are only brought in to do complicated coffers/shelving/etc. Homebuilding is not as defined as commercial. The wall thickness is part of figuring out who and what went wrong, so the OP can bring the hammer down in the right place.
Yes, I can believe a slang term might be common in some areas.

It remains obvious that the person that continued to install the trim when it was obvious it didn't fit right was neither a "trim" carpenter or a finish carpenter.

There is no defense for the way OP's trim was left.

But, as is shown in all aspects today - quality is not the concern, price and avoiding responsibility are. Sad.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:00 AM   #15
retired framer

Quote:
Yes, I can believe a slang term might be common in some areas.

It remains obvious that the person that continued to install the trim when it was obvious it didn't fit right was neither a "trim" carpenter or a finish carpenter.

There is no defense for the way OP's trim was left.

But, as is shown in all aspects today - quality is not the concern, price and avoiding responsibility are. Sad.
I think that installer must have only sat thru half the demonstration at Home Depot.
Domo likes this.
Advertisement