Decorative Box Beam Sagging - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Decorative box beam sagging

Hello,

I've got a decorative box beam with a large ceiling fan attached to it. The weight of the fan is causing the box beam to sag. Ideas on how to solve the sag with out removing fan are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
telcoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,710

Is the cleat that holds the box beam secured tightly to the ceiling?
If so, prop the beam up with a 2x4 and drive some nails from the beam into the cleat and it should be OK.

Pics??
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,336

Sounds like the ceiling/fan box is improperly attached to the decorative beam and not the actual framing structure of the building. You can do it the right way or the wrong way, your choice. The wrong way is what you are seeking.
The right way would be to take the fan down, investigate the attachment of the ceiling box, (I am willing to bet it is not a fan rated box)Repair it properly and re-install the fan.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

Well thank you all for the suggestions. Unfortunately I'm unable to upload the pics. Error uploading. The fan was installed incorrectly to begin with. No gang box for splice. The architectural box beam was just toenailed and not designed to handle 60+ pounds. The only econimical solution was to place 12" specialty lag type bolts evenly spaced and painted on either side to secure box to main beam. Thanks again.
telcoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 214

If I'm reading your last reply correctly and there is no junction box at all, please do get that fixed. Soon. It isn't that hard to do correctly. Go to the electrical form for more help or call an electrician. But do make sure all connections and splices are in an approved box.

Seriously, the previous owners of my house did something similar with a light in the laundry room (couldn't tell without the light removed). The smoke alarm went off one day, and the circuit breaker tripped just as I got down the stairs and I got to just as the wooden box was going into flames. I grabbed a large crow bar and took down a large section of the ceiling to make sure it hadn't spread anywhere. I was honestly heading out the front door when I heard the smoke alarm. There is a reason electrical boxes are required and there is a reason they aren't made of wood.

I believe there is a minimum number of posts needed before you can post pictures. I'm not sure how many, but it isn't many. Head the introduction section and tell us a little more about yourself, head the the electrical section, and you'll be able to post pictures before you know it.
LanterDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,336

As his post alluded to, he was not looking to fix this the proper way, just the fast , easy way.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8,683

The fast easy way. Two ways actually.

If the beam runs across the joists add some screws.

If parallel and over, do the same.

If not, add some scabs above and run the screws into them.

Else, you can't get above, print 'you are screwed'.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
box beam , ceiling fan , sagging , vaulted ceiling