Crown Moulding Gap To Ceiling -up To 3/4" - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Crown Moulding Gap to Ceiling -up to 3/4"

Hi everyone,

I'm having my kitchen renovated. The contractor noticed my ceiling is a bit off in a spot. There would be a gap between the top of the crown and the ceiling. From the part where it's flush, a gap starts which progresses up to ~ 3/4" in a spot. It's about a three foot stretch of crown. He had some suggestions that I did not like; manipulate (twist) the crown to reach the ceiling; bury part of the crown into the sheetrock; or just make it flush to the top of the cabinet and leave the gap; I chose the last option. I asked if we could fill the gap either with a shim or with a skim coat or caulk; he didn't seem confident; so I am wondering how some on here dealt with it.

Thanks!!
mike1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 232

Re: Crown Moulding Gap to Ceiling -up to 3/4"

3/4" caulked will look bad...either you have to fix this with skimming the dryweall itself and repainting or leave the gap.
Sdiver2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 570

Yes, 3/4" gap is disappointing and something should be done. However, I suspect you're not going to have very much luck convincing the contractor who did your renovation to come in and skim the ceiling to get rid of a 3/4" gap. Crown molding can sometimes be a crap shoot, it's going to show high and low spots, if any. Said, there are always high and low spots. Rarely will anyone alter the entire ceiling to accommodate the crown. Although aesthetically not particularly attractive, caulk is most often the solution. Caulk line painted to match the ceiling.

Are your cabinets stain or paint?
ZEW496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #4

To the OP...Hi, mike...

You would probably get more responses to your question if you posted in the Painting or Drywall sub forum. I too am interested in what others might offer as a possible best solution.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #5
Retired Handyman/Painter

Rewards Points: 1,174

photos will always help with the most accurate feedback.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #6

Here is a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Crown Moulding Gap to Ceiling -up to 3/4"-img_1168.jpg  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEW496 View Post
Yes, 3/4" gap is disappointing and something should be done. However, I suspect you're not going to have very much luck convincing the contractor who did your renovation to come in and skim the ceiling to get rid of a 3/4" gap. Crown molding can sometimes be a crap shoot, it's going to show high and low spots, if any. Said, there are always high and low spots. Rarely will anyone alter the entire ceiling to accommodate the crown. Although aesthetically not particularly attractive, caulk is most often the solution. Caulk line painted to match the ceiling.

Are your cabinets stain or paint?
Stain - see photo above - THANKS!
Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,098

It's a little late to fix the ceiling. 3/4" is too wide to caulk. I would put in a shim, of the same wood and finish as the crown molding and sand the contour to match the ceiling. Not easy, but would hide the issue best.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,100

Opinion, only. Anything you do to "correct" this will draw the eye to it more than it does, now. I'd leave it alone, enjoy the remodel and move on. Anyone who says anything about it can leave via the same door they came in.
Gymschu and Johnny_inFL like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
Jamesonc (05-03-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #10

I've avoided commenting further to avoid throwing negative shade.

Is there anywhere that crown is flush with the ceiling? Looks like maybe one place, furthest corner in the photo, maybe?

It is unrealistic that the ceiling could be "skimmed" to bring the ceiling down flush with the top of the crown. If the crown cannot be re-installed and more consistently flush with the ceiling, i'm afraid you may have to live with that gap. I'm not sure what your contractor meant by "twist" the crown to close up the gap. Manipulating the crown by forcing it up could make your outside corner miters and inside corners wonky, they won't meet up correctly. 3/4" gap is just too large to caulk, even with backer rod inserted prior to caulking. Anyone wielding a caulk gun to caulk stained crown better be good and cognizant that the effort is to improve rather than complete a task at the behest of the homeowner. Caulk is meant to bridge a gap, some gets on one surface, some on the other surface, on each side of the gap. On the stained crown side, that surface is really the top of the crown that you can't see. Dust blown out for bonding purposes. None on the visible front edge. I'm not thrilled to caulk stained crown, but I do it sometimes when asked. Really good and maximum flex caulk! The caulk must be painted same as the ceiling paint, or it could yellow, be more shiney than the ceiling flat paint, attract dirt. Crown is notorious for breaking caulk and developing a crack.. Often the wood continues to dry, and shrink. It moves with temperature changes. Heat rises, it gets hot up there at the ceiling, expansion. Then it contracts when it's cooler during colder temps, could be winter, or A/C blowing.

A possible solution would be to remove the crown. Attach to the top another piece of the same wood, same stain. Then hold the crown up to the ceiling and scribe a line on that piece of new material, plane that material to the scribed contour of the ceiling. Unfortunately, I doubt your contractor will go for that suggestion. It will also make the upper profile of the crown inconsistent....flush here, and an added 3/4" over there, and varying in other places. It will also be noticeable that there are two pieces of wood up there at the upper profile.

Although it kind of makes your cabinetry look to be floating and not "grounded" to the ceiling, you may have to just live with the gap. Sorry.

Last edited by ZEW496; 04-13-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 36

If the crown is installed correctly & then you have high spots where the gap increases It is quite feasible to build up the drywall with ez sand & mud to meet the crown. It is also not difficult to caulk against stained mouldings & leave a clean result. I've done plenty of both & there's nothing real special about me.
finisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #12

How far out from that light can would you build up the ez sand to have a smooth transition to the field expanse of the ceiling at large? What caulk would you suggest for a 3/4 gap?

While it doesn't necessarily require someone special to do a good clean caulk job, too many times i've seen the low man on the totem pole helper tasked with caulking because there is nothing else for him to do while the more experienced and specialized guys are busy. A caulk gun in the wrong hands can be a real mess, especially when trying to caulk a sizable gap, against stained wood. 3/4 gap, fugetaboutit.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #13
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,172

This what happens when people level the floor instead of the house.

Put something shiny in another wall so no one looks at it.
Jamesonc likes this.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #14

I would think, assuming the cabs were installed level, the original culprit is the mudding and finishing of the ceiling drywall, assuming the ceiling joists to which the drywall is attached are all consistent. There is a lot of mud at a taped joint, a high spot, or two. Sure, there is that 3/4" gap, but also a pretty consistent gap along the entire length of crown. Except, also an assumption, there is that mudded high spot on the far outside corner of the crown(in the pic). If you want the crown to be level and it is flush to the ceiling there...? Put a straight edge across that high spot, see how much it rocks from side to side. If high, put the spurs to it to sand back down to just shy of the tape, or redo the joint. If most of the crown is 3/8" off the ceiling, and lessening that high outside corner spot helps lessen that 3/8" gap, the 3/4" gap will also decrease to a manageable gap for caulking.

What is it they say about assumptions again?
Old 04-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEW496 View Post
How far out from that light can would you build up the ez sand to have a smooth transition to the field expanse of the ceiling at large? What caulk would you suggest for a 3/4 gap?

While it doesn't necessarily require someone special to do a good clean caulk job, too many times i've seen the low man on the totem pole helper tasked with caulking because there is nothing else for him to do while the more experienced and specialized guys are busy. A caulk gun in the wrong hands can be a real mess, especially when trying to caulk a sizable gap, against stained wood. 3/4 gap, fugetaboutit.
I never mentioned caulking a 3/4" inch gap. I still think there is plenty of room to even it out with mud despite the light being close in that 1 area.

Last edited by finisher65; 04-13-2019 at 03:46 PM.
finisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement