Cabinets To Go Question - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cabinets to Go question

Hi everyone, first time here. we are redoing our kitchen and completed tile floors a couple of weeks ago and begun installing the cabinets from cabinets to go. They seem to be pretty well constructed and easy to go together. We are planning to have granite counter on top.

I can't seem to find an answer here or on the web but should we have glued these during assembly? also as I install am securing on the top and bottom against the wall but saw a video somewhere that said that was not necessary. to me as long as the cabs are level and plumb it is just additional strength. your personal experiences with this brand kinds of cabinets?

Thanks
Bill
mdb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,118

I've never seen cabinets screwed to the wall at the top and bottom.
Main reason there's only one backing strip at the top, inside of the cabinets.
What's the manufacturer say about gluing when assembling?
Once the cabinets are screwed together to each other there not going anywhere.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 144

The top is all that's required.If you screw the bottom and it is not flush with the wall you run the risk of pulling the back out.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #4

Ok thanks Guys! CTG instructions are lame no mention of glueing, that have a cam system and are 1/2' plywood. There actually is strip on top and bottom in back where you can screw through to wall. so I should change my cleat for the lazy susan from vertical to a horizontal and just screw in at top? I have two 2x4's strapped together on each side as it is 3" from wall to back of cabinet on both sides which makes it come even with front of the stove next to it.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #5

Bill, I'm curious to know your thoughts about the Cabinets to Go. I was just looking at their website the other day and did some online research. Comments seem to be all over the place, most negative comments seem to be the wait time for products not in stock that need to be ordered. If you don't mind, please post some info once you get them all installed.
PixelPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I look at the local show room and thought they looked like a good value-----and a customer installed their own kitchen using Cabinets to Go---they looked good,for the price---he said the assembly went fast---

Time will tell how well the finish holds up---
Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #7

We are very happy with them so far, they assemble quickly with a cam lock system, plastic corner braces that seem strong enough, nice self close metal drawer slides. And yes had I done my research ahead of time I may not have bought them. Did not realize they are made in China which i have issues with. But that being said the engineering and build quality seems like it will work. And we got lucky with the Cleveland store After reading the horror stories. Brett the Manager has been really good to work with. The only thing is we are missing 2 smaller - 12" uppers for fridge and microwave which are on the way we are told so crossing fingers.

I have to say once assembled and doing a dry fit they are pretty square, plumb and level. the only real shimming is for lazy susan by stove where we have a slight slope in tile which i did not do that part of tile there
The Following User Says Thank You to mdb007 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-18-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #8

Follow up on CTG

We assembled and started installing the uppers yesterday. Found a little more questionable construction on those. The nailing strip nailed to bottom panel on a 36 x 12" fridge cabinet was a little loose, it is 3/4" and butts up against 1/2" plywood back panel strip for the wall.

Also had a slightly loose piece of wood on a 36" cabinet. I made a decision to just glue the joints during assembly as I am not 100% convinced of the cam lock system.

And on the 24" 45 degree corner cabinet (pic attached) the screws were pulled out of door frame with door just laying under the frame with slight chip on door frame and you can see one of the screws just laying box, but have no time to reorder and wait 3 weeks so I glued toothpicks in screw holes and will re-drill tonight. The titebond glue is very good and set quickly, i have become a big fan of this stuff the past few months.

Still a decent cabinet if you want to save money, but I would suggest glueing during assembly for peace of mind. I also attached a base cab pic just so you can see what they look like.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinets to Go question-img_20140427_183702_146.jpg   Cabinets to Go question-img_20140421_085058_118.jpg   Cabinets to Go question-img_20140427_183730_374.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 37

Before looking at cabinets, it is important to come up with a target budget and a basic floor plan or layout. Whether you are buying custom made cabinets, stock cabinets, or RTA cabinets, they will all offer a wide range of wood choices.
garykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement