Building A Work Table From Old Bed Frames (newbie) - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen
  • 1 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By maybedave

Old 03-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Question

Building a work table from old bed frames (newbie)

Hi everyone,

Beginner DIY here. Im going to attempt to build a work table for my garage out of a few old bed frame materials and maybe buy a sheet of plywood for the top.

I've got these planks(21pcs) that are 7 1/2" wide x 39" long about 5/8" thick

And I've got long pieces(6pc) that are 5 3/8" wide x 75" long about 1 1/8" thick
Attached Photos of pieces I'm working with, also solid wood headboards(not pictured) available that I can cut down if I need any more.

So far my game plan was to glue the smaller planks in 2's so theyd be about 1 1/2" thick and use these for legs (cut to size).

Then use the long pieces as the sides of the table; length wise. 4 pcs total for bottom and top. (will keep it close to a 75" long table height maybe around 34")

And screw them all together with some glue, just straight screw wood into wood (at 90 deg?)
Tools I have: Jig saw, circular saw, screw drivers, glue, drills, square, bubble leveler, light duty clamps.

Is this going to be a terrible table? Any ideas or things to change? Any particular hardware/screws I need?

I have 0 experience. Any input helpful!
Attached Thumbnails
Building a work table from old bed frames (newbie)-img_20180330_114746.jpg   Building a work table from old bed frames (newbie)-img_20180330_114733.jpg  
HarryGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,480

Re: Building a work table from old bed frames (newbie)

I'm sure you've looked a many plans but I like this one with a possible exception or two. Allowing the top to extend 2" for clamping is a minimum. I'd prefer 2-1/2 and maybe 3". The legs really don't need be 1-1/2" material.

Also I would consider a hard surface Masonite product for the top as opposed to plywood and make it replaceable if it needed that in 20 years.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...inexpensively/
de-nagorg likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2018, 05:21 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 354

I'd use 2x4s for the legs.
de-nagorg likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 32

It won't be a terrible table. A couple of thoughts for ya...
  • Scrape/sand the finish off of the parts before you glue things together.
  • Get wood screws that are about as long as you can put in, without poking through. Maybe 1.25" in this case? Do not use drywall screws. they break easily and you'll spend a lot of time cursing, and the money you saved will be wasted in time/frustration/whiskey.
  • Do a dry assembly (screws only, no glue) of the whole thing before you commit. This will let you make changes without wasting a ton of material.
  • A countersink drill bit combo will save you a ton of time.
  • If you have any intentions to do woodworking beyond this bench, consider the bench a great opportunity to practice some joinery. Maybe half lap joints where the legs meet the apron, for example. Sure, this particularly project will take longer, but you'll have a stronger table and skills to boot!
de-nagorg likes this.
maybedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm thinking of something simple like this;

youtube.com/watch?v=5db8JKxPByo&t=56s

I'm going to change my original plan so the legs from the 2 glued pieces to the 5 3/8 width x 1 1/8 thickness pieces cut down to 34" length. I feel one solid piece for legs would be better instead of glued pieces, will try avoid buying 2x4's as it isn't really bigger than what I have.

Then using the 2 planks glued together for the width pieces of the whole table. (table ends? Left/right sides of table)

Good idea on the screws first build before gluing, I never realized how strong wood glue is. I'll also sand/scuff up the stain before glue goes on.

I probably won't do joinery work for this project, will need it sooner. But maybe add cross brace in future and bottom shelf for storage.

Happy Easter!
HarryGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement