Building Wooden Soffit? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 415

Building Wooden Soffit?

I am doing a kitchen remodel I removed the soffits as the new cabinets are a little bigger than the previous ones. Instead of framing out a new soffit and dry walling it, I am planning to rip extra cover panels for my kitchen to replace the soffit. I plan to join two ripped pieces of panels to form a "L". The Top and bottom of the L will be joined together with a 2x2 in the back to keep them together. I will then fasten the bottom of the L to the top of the cabinets to hold it in place. As the ceiling is far from level, I will leave a slight gap at the top of the L and use some matching quarter round to the gap. Is this an okay/good way of finishing off my kitchen remodel? I have done a bit of customizing i.e. customizing cabinets and filler strips. I am hoping this will be less work than a drywall soffit and make the cabinets look more built in.

Note: The soffits do hide electrical and plumbing, so I need to have them.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Building Wooden Soffit?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Solaritu; 12-29-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Solaritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
gdc

Rewards Points: 168

building woode soffit

hi solaritu, I responded to a post similar to yours. the post is in carpentry and the title is cabinet crown moulding by bfan781. might help you. at the end of my response I said a block or blocking should be used at the ceiling.
gdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
gdc

Rewards Points: 168

oh and nice kitchen to. at the frige side I see the cabinets are almost to the ceiling is that correct
gdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post
oh and nice kitchen to. at the frige side I see the cabinets are almost to the ceiling is that correct
Thanks for the info, I will look into it. The cabinets around the fridge do almost touch the ceiling. I had to fabricate my own cabinet base as the legs I was supposed to use would have been to high. We had issues standing the pantry up as it was to high at the apex. Anyways there was a soffit there, though it wasn't hiding any plumbing or electrical. We decided to turn that space into useful space. We also would have had to extend the soffit out, if we wanted to keep it as it was only about 13" deep.
Solaritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement