Building Walking In Pantry Closet Unded Coffer Ceiling - Next To Cabinets Help - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 214

Building Walking In Pantry Closet Unded Coffer Ceiling - Next to Cabinets help

10' ceilings. going to have coffer ceilings that run in the entire kitchen area and in this "butlers pantry" area. they are 6"H,

I have a few options for how I run the coffer perimter as well as the height i build the closet or distance i build it off the wall.

the base cabinets come out standard 24", uppers, standard 12". The uppers are 36"H, so the top will be at 90" before crown. the closet door, I can get at 80" or 96", and i can build it out or up however much i want.

I thought it would look cool, to only put a standard 6'8" door, build the closet at 96 or 102", and 26" off the wall (so the counter runs against it. then have the coffer perimeter run behind the cabinets/closet against the wall.

I could also build out a soffit above teh cabinets at 12" the 26", and run the perimter to that and build the closet to the ceiling.

or i can put the closet door flush against the wall, etc.

alot of options, not sure what will look best, any body have any ideas on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Building Walking In Pantry Closet Unded Coffer Ceiling - Next to Cabinets help-butlerpantry.jpg  
moneymm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 62

Re: Building Walking In Pantry Closet Unded Coffer Ceiling - Next to Cabinets help

I would build it out the 26" and up to the ceiling and the Question is do you run the box into the side or go around it. Keep the door at 80"
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #3

Re: Building Walking In Pantry Closet Unded Coffer Ceiling - Next to Cabinets help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I would build it out the 26" and up to the ceiling and the Question is do you run the box into the side or go around it. Keep the door at 80"
what about over the cabinets?

if closet goes up to ceiling at 120" and the doors right around the hallway are all 8', shouldnt i match those heights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 11:04 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm22 View Post
what about over the cabinets?

if closet goes up to ceiling at 120" and the doors right around the hallway are all 8', shouldnt i match those heights?
If they are in the same room, if not it would be your choice, almost all the house we did with 7 or 8 ft doors, the doors chanced to 80" as soon as you got out of the entrance hall.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 152

This is strictly my observation but such ceiling would be the first thing people notice, and it would deserve the attention. As such, it would look the best if it wasn't broken by minor cabinets or appliances. I'd build 10' wall for the pantry and wrap the ceiling around the walls and keep the cabinet away from the ceiling.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

If I kept the height of the closet at 96” and didn’t build soffit over the cabinets I would have 2 feet of clear space for the perimeter of coffee to run to the wall behind cabinets /closet.

This was my plan A. No good?

Here is my bad iPhone edit sketch.
Attached Thumbnails
Building Walking In Pantry Closet Unded Coffer Ceiling - Next to Cabinets help-e0812fde-a6b5-41b8-8466-a7391747f5af_1556461981543.jpeg  
Old 04-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #7

here are some views if i did the closet to the 10 foot ceiling and soffit over the cabinets but only 12" deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Building Walking In Pantry Closet Unded Coffer Ceiling - Next to Cabinets help-3dview.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
retired framer

You do know there is no right or wrong way to do it, it is all about what you and the little lady agree to.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 152

I think the top of the pantry could look odd, as if there was a loft. You could wrap the pantry wall with veneer/trim and stain to match the cabinet next to it, but a pantry size cabinet could look odd as well. One way to search could be a website such as Houzz which has many photos.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement