Building New Floor, On Existing Concrete And Steel - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Building new floor, on existing concrete and steel

Hello all,

I've been planning to build a new floor over an existing empty space in my attic. The space is approximately 12 feet wide by 16 feet, and I plan to use the space simply for light storage. I've read the calculators regarding the pro's and con's of 2x6 vs 2x8 and I am set on building with 2x8.

My question really lays in support and attaching to the concrete below. Its a dining room below, with various openings and windows. I think my best bet is to build an outline around the room with 2x8 and then cross the 12 foot span with 2x8 placed every 16 inches.

I've uploaded a few photos, but It appears I can't send links. I'll try replying with the link after.

Anyone got any thoughts on my project?

Thanks so much,
Mike
xmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,578

if your going to be using 2x8 joists i wouldnt be going 16" o.c i would do 12" o.c and install 2 rows of blocking.. the floor will sag if its 16" o.c
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
xmichael (12-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

12 inches apart

photos at http 64.94.15.40/ floor/

Yes, I had planned to do them run them 12 feet in length, spaced every 16 inches, but it sounds like what you are saying is even at 12 feet in length i should space them every 12 inches.. Thanks for your comment!
xmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement