Bowed Ceiling Crown: Install Or Return? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By airgas1998
  • 1 Post By BigJim

Old 12-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 187

Bowed Ceiling Crown: Install or Return?

Question:

I'm installing new ceiling crown in a room that is 13' 6" x 11' 1". The walls and ceilings are fairly straight. The old crown (most likely 40+ years old) started to reveal cracks/separate from the wall and ceiling in a few places and was removed. The new crown is a single piece, pine crown (4 x 1/4" wide with a 38-degree spring angle) with ripped 2 x 4s being installed for a wedge/backing board so I can nail anywhere I want to hopefully eliminate any movement large enough to cause cracks to appear. Each of the 4 pieces of new crown is long enough to cover the entire length of each wall, ie, no scarf joints are needed.

The issue is one of my 4 pieces of new crown (yet to be installed) is noticeably bowed. This one piece of crown is a "smile", ie, both ends are higher than the middle (the middle sags lower). Is there some trick to pulling the bowed/warped ends downward? Do you just muscle it into position? I have popcorn textured ceilings (yes, I actually like them) and don't want the non-working end (the ceiling crown end I nail into position last) to be banging into the ceiling destroying the texture while I nail the crown into place. For strength and aesthetics I also would prefer to not cut the bowed piece into multiple pieces and do a scarf joint(s).

The town I live in is pretty small and I may have bought the last paint-grade, 4 1/4" crown in this particular style in the entire city so getting more crown might be possible but it will be a bit of a hassle.

So...is this workable or should I avoid the hassle and just get a new piece?

"A professional is only a DIY-er with more experience."

Last edited by Twister; 12-04-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 01:36 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,320

Re: Bowed Ceiling Crown: Install or Return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister View Post
Question:

I'm installing new ceiling crown in a room that is 13' 6" x 11' 1". The walls and ceilings are fairly straight. The old crown (most likely 40+ years old) started to reveal cracks/separate from the wall and ceiling in a few places and was removed. The new crown is a single piece, pine crown (4 x 1/4" wide with a 38-degree spring angle) with ripped 2 x 4s being installed for a wedge/backing board so I can nail anywhere I want to hopefully eliminate any movement large enough to cause cracks to appear. Each of the 4 pieces of new crown is long enough to cover the entire length of each wall, ie, no scarf joints are needed.

The issue is one of my 4 pieces of new crown (yet to be installed) is noticeably bowed. This one piece of crown is a "smile", ie, both ends are higher than the middle (the middle sags lower). Is there some trick to pulling the bowed/warped ends downward? Do you just muscle it into position? I have popcorn textured ceilings (yes, I actually like them) and don't want the non-working end (the ceiling crown end I nail into position last) to be banging into the ceiling destroying the texture while I nail the crown into place. For strength and aesthetics I also would prefer to not cut the bowed piece into multiple pieces and do a scarf joint(s).

The town I live in is pretty small and I may have bought the last paint-grade, 4 1/4" crown in this particular style in the entire city so getting more crown might be possible but it will be a bit of a hassle.

So...is this workable or should I avoid the hassle and just get a new piece?
Perhaps tack it to a straight 2x4 or something that you can pull off after it is up???
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Twister (12-07-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,952

Test the trim to see how much it bends. Push the trim against the floor. If it bends easily, you can use it. If it doesn't bend easily, it is damaged.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
Twister (12-07-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,134

At first I thought your ceiling was bowed instead of the new crown. If I were installing the molding, I would put that piece up first then the one on the opposite wall and pop the other two pieces into those. A stick of trim that long will work without much notice of a bow in it.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Twister (12-07-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

I have seen that before and have used a screw or two to pull into place, countersink and fill.
Good luck!
Diy1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diy1959 For This Useful Post:
Twister (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 12:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 187

All -

Thanks for the advice. I especially thought using a tacked-up 2x4 and/or finish screws to hold the trim in place were good tips. The good news, though, is that most of the bow has disappeared.

How?

A major change in temperature in the room where the trim is temporarily sitting. It wasn't bowed all that bad when I bought the trim. Then just before starting this thread I saw a huge bow (total linear change of 5"-6" over the length of the 14' piece of trim) and I about had a heart attack. Muuuuuch less than that now; maybe 1"-2" bow in it now; definitely workable.

Still, thanks for all your sound advice!

"A professional is only a DIY-er with more experience."
Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:04 AM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister View Post
All -

Thanks for the advice. I especially thought using a tacked-up 2x4 and/or finish screws to hold the trim in place were good tips. The good news, though, is that most of the bow has disappeared.

How?

A major change in temperature in the room where the trim is temporarily sitting. It wasn't bowed all that bad when I bought the trim. Then just before starting this thread I saw a huge bow (total linear change of 5"-6" over the length of the 14' piece of trim) and I about had a heart attack. Muuuuuch less than that now; maybe 1"-2" bow in it now; definitely workable.

Still, thanks for all your sound advice!
If you can get it up in the air so a moisture content can get back to center.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 56

yep, it's acclimating to the temp/humidity...
Nealtw likes this.
airgas1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,084

A chain is only as strong...

Never let the lot guy select your wood for you...

You see pro's at lumber yards hand selecting framing materials for their jobs so that the rest of the build will be easier. (granted a house shows up as a strapped pallet - but the good carpenter throws the nasty stuff aside)

Last edited by Domo; 12-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
A chain is only as strong...

Never let the lot guy select your wood for you...

You see pro's at lumber yards hand selecting framing materials for their jobs so that the rest of the build will be easier. (granted a house shows up as a strapped pallet - but the good carpenter throws the nasty stuff aside)
Or uses it for blocking, etc.
Domo likes this.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bowed , ceiling crown