Beadboard Ceiling - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Benny74

Old 11-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

beadboard ceiling

I took on the project of restoring old 1930's beadboard ceiling in my living room, which had many coats of pain and has long been covered with drywall. After stripping and scraping to exhaustion, I could not bring myself to paint it again. So I went with Danish Oil, natural color finish. One section of the ceiling tho, had been removed due to termite damage. After repairing the joists and walls, I was ready to put up more beadboard. I found old boards at an architectural salvage, also covered in paint layers. More stripping and scraping, and applying top coat. However, now I see that this stuff has more yellowish hue to it- whether it's just not as old or different pine I'm not sure, as the grain pattern looks very similar. I tried dark walnut colored Danish oil, but it still doesn't match well enough. Does anyone have any suggestions to try to match the original ceiling color and old look?
The first photo shows the old and new side by side, the second shows one new board nailed up on the ceiling. Yes the old boards still have some stubborn white paint in the grain.
Attached Thumbnails
beadboard ceiling-img_2310.jpg   beadboard ceiling-img_2311.jpg  
Benny74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,376

Re: beadboard ceiling

I would have refused to even do this job unless they want it all replaced if they wanted it stain and sealed, if not it should have been primed and paint.
Going to leave up those termite eaten boards?
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,726

Wrong kind of wood. I believe your original beadboard is pine. If you can't find any vintage pine bead board, buy new and stain it to match. Making new wood look old isn't the easiest thing to do but can be done.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would have refused to even do this job unless they want it all replaced if they wanted it stain and sealed, if not it should have been primed and paint.
Going to leave up those termite eaten boards?
No. Most of the ceiling is in great shape- it would be a sin to replace the good old stuff. The last 6-7 boards did come out due to the termite damage, which is why I'm trying to find some to put in their place.
Jaime296 likes this.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Wrong kind of wood. I believe your original beadboard is pine. If you can't find any vintage pine bead board, buy new and stain it to match. Making new wood look old isn't the easiest thing to do but can be done.
That is my question. If I get new pine, what are some tricks to make it look old?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny74 View Post
That is my question. If I get new pine, what are some tricks to make it look old?
There are plenty of tricks such as a rough sand and maybe beat it up a little with a chain, file brush, etc.
Also check out Pinterest, there are tons of ideas on there to make new wood look old.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Jaime296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement