Attaching Ledger Board To I Beam Floor Joists - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 3onthetree
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 08-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 54

Attaching Ledger Board to I beam floor joists

Hi all,

Trying to plan out a deck roof project for either this fall or next spring.

My house has engineered "I beam" joists, and I am having trouble finding into on how to attach an exterior ledger to I beam joists.

In my case the ledger would be perpendicular to the joists.

I have read that sometimes 'engineered' joist floors don't have rim joists, but I don't know if this refers to I beam joists or truss type floors only. How can I verify this?

If there is a time joist, can I just attach a ledger board as prescribed for 'normal' joist floors?

Any guidance would be very helpful!

Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Boogityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,178

Re: Attaching Ledger Board to I beam floor joists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogityman View Post
Hi all,

Trying to plan out a deck roof project for either this fall or next spring.

My house has engineered "I beam" joists, and I am having trouble finding into on how to attach an exterior ledger to I beam joists.

In my case the ledger would be perpendicular to the joists.

I have read that sometimes 'engineered' joist floors don't have rim joists, but I don't know if this refers to I beam joists or truss type floors only. How can I verify this?

If there is a time joist, can I just attach a ledger board as prescribed for 'normal' joist floors?

What's this?

Any guidance would be very helpful!

Thank you!

Are you meaning Rim Joist?
If so attach a ledger as usual.

Try to bolt through with big washers on both ends of the attaching bolts.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #3

Yes sorry rim joist.

Ok that's great. And are there "always" rim joists where I beam joists are used?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 792

Quote:
It should and I'm sure does have a rim joist. They probably used a manufacturer specific rim board. Verify in the basement or crawlspace.

You can attach a ledger to it, just follow the joist manuf recommendations. Weyerhauser TrusJoist is the dominant brand, search their technical details for attaching to it. Then combine that info with a search in the AWC "guide for decks" for installing the ledger.
de-nagorg likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,926

When the deck is planned ahead of time the standard rim that comes with TGI is not enough so it is swapped out for an LVL to hang the ledger from.

At least I would want to install 2x10 blocks on the inside and attach the ledger with thru bolts. Either that or talk to the people that make the TGI and get it in writing.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
When the deck is planned ahead of time the standard rim that comes with TGI is not enough so it is swapped out for an LVL to hang the ledger from.

At least I would want to install 2x10 blocks on the inside and attach the ledger with thru bolts. Either that or talk to the people that make the TGI and get it in writing.
When you say on the inside I take it you mean between the joists from inside the ceiling inside the house? So it would effectively be doubling the rim joist in that spot?

What is the easiest way to check if it is already LVL/something else suitable?

To be clear this would be a second floor rim as this would be the ledger for the roof. Most of the houses around me built at/around the same time have a roof over their decks so I am hopeful that they just built them all with the LVL or similar...

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #7

Just to follow up, and I'm not sure these are the exact products I have , but it does seem to be 'ok' to put a ledger on a standard rim joist... Is the general feeling that this isn't OK?

https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodpro...detail/tb-304/

Old 08-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Just to follow up, and I'm not sure these are the exact products I have , but it does seem to be 'ok' to put a ledger on a standard rim joist... Is the general feeling that this isn't OK?

https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodpro...detail/tb-304/

This link is talking about the regular rim joist and the test for it would be a hole , it is 1 1/8 while an LVL is 1 3/4" thick

I am not sure we did anything special for a roof unless it was a flat deck.

But what kind of roof are you building that ties in at that level, I would expect a sloped roof to be higher than that?

Last edited by Nealtw; 08-04-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #9

Oh I was planning a larger scale post on this when I had worked the plans a little bit but since you asked.... Haha.

Its a single slope roof away from the house, and would be wood frame topper with a metal or polycarbonate sheets. Or maybe shingle, not sure yet.

The deck itself is basically surface level and would like to keep it that way for privacy and such. So the top of the deck is about 10 inches off the ground.

The second floor starts about 12 feet up from that, so that's the rim joist o planned to put my ledger on. To be honest I thought it has to line up with that rim joist--does that mean theoretically I could put a ledger at some other point? You just have to get through to the studs I guess?

I had done the calculation somewhere but don't have it in front of me, but over the length of the deck (16 feet) I believe it was still 8 feet or so off the top of the deck which, again for privacy as the houses behind us are quite close, is perfect for us.

Since I have you... I want to stick my gas grill under the roof, but have read that a single slope roof will collect all the best and let it collect at the high point, which could cause my vinyl siding to melt even if it were 4-5 feet away from the house itself. So I wonder if there is any way to vent that before it gets to the house? Or is this not even really an issue...

Thanks again to all for all your help/input

Old 08-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #10

Can't figure out how to edit my post on this app but realized I had eliminated the possibility of polycarbonate because of the grill.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
retired framer

Quote:
Oh I was planning a larger scale post on this when I had worked the plans a little bit but since you asked.... Haha.

Its a single slope roof away from the house, and would be wood frame topper with a metal or polycarbonate sheets. Or maybe shingle, not sure yet.

The deck itself is basically surface level and would like to keep it that way for privacy and such. So the top of the deck is about 10 inches off the ground.

The second floor starts about 12 feet up from that, so that's the rim joist o planned to put my ledger on. To be honest I thought it has to line up with that rim joist--does that mean theoretically I could put a ledger at some other point? You just have to get through to the studs I guess?

I had done the calculation somewhere but don't have it in front of me, but over the length of the deck (16 feet) I believe it was still 8 feet or so off the top of the deck which, again for privacy as the houses behind us are quite close, is perfect for us.

Since I have you... I want to stick my gas grill under the roof, but have read that a single slope roof will collect all the best and let it collect at the high point, which could cause my vinyl siding to melt even if it were 4-5 feet away from the house itself. So I wonder if there is any way to vent that before it gets to the house? Or is this not even really an issue...

Thanks again to all for all your help/input

I am not crazy about a deck 10" above the ground but that's another discussion. I am sure something for the Bar b cue can be worked out, not just for heat but for smoke too.

You could cheat the height down a little so you could lag into the double top plate of the wall below as well as into the rim and you should be good with that.
Advertisement