Attaching Crown Molding To Frameless Kitchen Cabinets - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 109
Question

Attaching Crown Molding To Frameless Kitchen Cabinets

I am going to attached cherry crown molding to the top of our cherry kitchen cabinets and I have never installed crown molding before. I will install the cherry cleats flush with the cabinet face frames and position the crown molding as shown in the photo below. What concerns me is will the crown molding stay in place when I shoot nails and will 15 gauge finishing nails split the molding?

Fire4Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

Your post is a bit confusing in that you state you will install the crown flush with the cabinet face frame and the drawing shows frameless cabinets?

If you do have face frame cabinets ,what is the overlay of the doors and the width of the top rail?

If frameless ,these are intended for a more "modern look " and usually don't have crown applied?
Either way your drawing is not correct.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

The cleats will be flush with the face of the cabinets and the bottom of the crown will be flush with the face of the door. It is my understanding this is how crown molding is placed. These are frameless cabinets. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding the addition of crown, they were designed and supplied with the cabinets. In addition, the crown hides the vent pipe for the range vent.

Last edited by Fire4Effect; 06-16-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,834

I always nailed the cleat to the crown from behind, so there's no nail holes to fill or show, and then nailed the cleat to the cabinets.

Obviously, I installed the crown prior to hanging the cabinets, and you may not be able to do it that way.

FWIW: If any part of the cleat, or your miter joints are subject to show, paint them black, then use WD40 to remove any overspray.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ktkelly For This Useful Post:
Fire4Effect (06-17-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire4Effect View Post
What concerns me is will the crown molding stay in place when I shoot nails and will 15 gauge finishing nails split the molding?
You did not say what size crown you are using. 15 gage IMO is too big for fine trim work. I would use a 18 ga., The nails will hold the crown just fine, you should glue any cut miters you have. Good luck
Fire4Effect (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
I always nailed the cleat to the crown from behind, so there's no nail holes to fill or show, and then nailed the cleat to the cabinets.

Obviously, I installed the crown prior to hanging the cabinets, and you may not be able to do it that way.

FWIW: If any part of the cleat, or your miter joints are subject to show, paint them black, then use WD40 to remove any overspray.
Thank you for the input, but I will not be able to use that method.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
You did not say what size crown you are using. 15 gage IMO is too big for fine trim work. I would use a 18 ga., The nails will hold the crown just fine, you should glue any cut miters you have. Good luck
Thank you, I will pick up an 18 gauge brad nailer this week. I was thinking of using 2" brads.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 249

If you're installing the crown after the cabinets are installed, a couple of trim-head screws through the top of the cabinet, from the inside, will hold the cleat in place and be pretty inconspicuous.
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt Ferguson View Post
If you're installing the crown after the cabinets are installed, a couple of trim-head screws through the top of the cabinet, from the inside, will hold the cleat in place and be pretty inconspicuous.

I thought about this after I posted.

In this case, you should be able to attach the crown to the cleat by nailing it from behind, and then mount the cleat and crown from inside the cabinet.

I really dislike it when I see the nailing done through the front of the crown where it WILL be seen. This way that's eliminated.

More work, but well worth it.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt Ferguson View Post
Thanks, I already planned to use GRK 1-1/2" trim head screws.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
I thought about this after I posted.

In this case, you should be able to attach the crown to the cleat by nailing it from behind, and then mount the cleat and crown from inside the cabinet.

I really dislike it when I see the nailing done through the front of the crown where it WILL be seen. This way that's eliminated.

More work, but well worth it.
I would not be able to do that because the upper edge of the crown is against the ceiling.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,005

Quote:

I've never heard of this method. I can't imagine getting a consistent ceiling/crown contact. I can see maybe bending the crown back to meet the ceiling then pin it. or worse yet, tight coped joints. do you use it often?
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
I've never heard of this method. I can't imagine getting a consistent ceiling/crown contact. I can see maybe bending the crown back to meet the ceiling then pin it. or worse yet, tight coped joints. do you use it often?

I have done it this way more than once. Most of the time it's been when the crown didn't go to the ceiling, but a few times it did, and it worked out well.

Yes, the joints must be done well, and no, you're not going to do this with a long bank of cabinets unless you have a lot of help setting the cabinets on a wall cleat.

I did this with a bank of cabinets one time. A 12x42 wall, 24x42 corner, 12x42 & 36x42 wall. Yes, it worked, and yes, it was a PIA.

I just despise having finish nails through the crown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement