Adding Upstairs Room In Double High Ceiling Living Room - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By willis11

Old 09-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42
Question

Adding upstairs room in double high ceiling living room

I have a downstairs living room with a ceiling that is as high as the upstairs ceiling, and want to add a floor to make a new room for the upstairs above one side of the living room. The area of the new room will be about 12' X 12' and already has three of the walls, and I plan to just put a railing on the open side. Two of the walls are outside walls, with cinder blocks for the downstairs half and wood framing for the upper half, while the third existing wall on the inside is only for the upstairs and is currently open into the kitchen in the downstairs, supported by a load bearing wall at the inner most side. Said load bearing wall sticks out past the current upstairs floating wall by about 6 inches and without taking any drywall off and using a nail to find studs, I can tell that there is either a 4x4 or two joined 2x4s on the end of that load bearing wall sticking out. I am considering placing a beam from that point to the outside cinder block wall (resting on top of the cinder blocks where the wood framing starts) made from two LVL beams (1 3/4" x 11 7/8" x 12') side by side. Then rolling I-joists (11.875-in x 2.5-in x 12-ft) from the LVL beam (on hangers) to the other cinder block wall top,at either 16" apart on center, or 24". My main concerns are related to the beam. First, is a 2 ply LVL sufficiently strong enough? And secondly, is the 4x4 end of the load bearing wall that is sticking out from the wall above it sufficient to hold up the LVL beam, or do I need to add another 4x4 or 2x4 to sure it up? Should I be worried about footings, or the fact that it is already a load bearing wall and outside cinder block wall on the other side mean there is likely already sufficient footings in place?

Any advice is appreciated!

Below is a basic visual of the walls downstairs and the walls directly above them (white walls). The dark grey walls are the cinder block walls, the light grey is the load bearing wood framed wall, and the little black portion coming off it is the part with no wall on top of it with a 4x4 on the inside of it, that I want to run my LVL beams from to the cinder block wall straight across from it. Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by willis11; 09-25-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: wrong image link
willis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 42

deleted

I moved this post. How do I delete this one?
Nealtw likes this.

Last edited by willis11; 09-25-2019 at 10:39 PM. Reason: deleted
willis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 01:43 AM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,108

Re: Adding upstairs room in double high ceiling living room

Duplicate.

https://www.diychatroom.com/f19/addi...g-room-668633/
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote