Trojan Remover / Killer - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 04-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,930

Trojan remover / killer

I am seeking your advice on a low cost / free program to remove Trojans from my system.

Win10+ HP desktop.

It came with McAfee , but I let that expire, then bought Norton, it too has expired, So I loaded the one from my ISP, that I was paying for anyway.

Ran uninstall on both of the others, because I know that competitors don't run very well together.

Anyway, Norton has been alerting me lately about 3 trojans that they say that is on my system, and my SecuritySuite, from ISP, does not have any trojan killer on it.

Thought that I would look to ya'll for advise on what works, is low cost, and won't fight with the SecuritySuite program.

My system started dragging it's tail a few weeks ago, slowing down, dropping the site that I am trying to run, and I checked my speed, it has very high download speed, but very low upload speed, Should not these be close to the same speed?

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 714

Re: Trojan remover / killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
I checked my speed, it has very high download speed, but very low upload speed, Should not these be close to the same speed?

ED

No, the upload and download speeds are totally different. In my case I get download speeds of around 170mbps and upload speeds of around 10mbps.
SPS-1 likes this.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Sal For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (04-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 22,524

Search the specific trojan names Norton is telling you. Most likely there is info on how to remove them.
de-nagorg likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 200

Malwarebytes is still a good choice for free. Look into portableapps and you can create a usb drive with free apps on it. They have a large selection of spyware and antivirus that will at least help you remove it. Boot into safe mode and then run the scans since alot of stuff will hang in memory or restart as soon as you get rid of it.
DallasCowboys likes this.
Fish_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,478

How is Norton warning you about Trojans on your system after you un-installed Norton ?
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
How is Norton warning you about Trojans on your system after you un-installed Norton ?
He loaded the one from his ISP.

Xfinity also provides free Norton for its subscribers.

Ed, first did Norton say you have a Trojan infection or did it say it blocked a Trojan attempt?

If you do have an infection, what are the names? You should be able to find them in the History under Security.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenfire View Post
He loaded the one from his ISP.

Xfinity also provides free Norton for its subscribers.

Ed, first did Norton say you have a Trojan infection or did it say it blocked a Trojan attempt?

If you do have an infection, what are the names? You should be able to find them in the History under Security.
Those are good questions, I too wonder how Norton is still alerting me, as it was uninstalled per the correct program.

The alert says that I have 3 of them, but does not list them, and there is no Norton registry to look through.

My ISP , Charter Spectrum, offers Security Suite.

I called their tech support, they had no idea, and said that they had no Trojan killers.

I did a search for one, but had so many choices, that was confusing, so I decided to seek the groups input.

It is sure frustrating, getting kicked off , a lot, with _____ site not responding, try to start a new link.

ED
Old 04-26-2019, 03:26 AM   #8
Big Dog

Ed, I suggest you try doing a recovery.

Type recovery in the search box and then click on Recovery in the list. Use the Open System Restore option to revert your system to a state before the issue occurred. This will not affect any of your personal documents.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Old 04-26-2019, 04:24 AM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Good suggestion.

I'm way ahead of you, I did that and it started all over again, soon afterward.

I just this morning did a search for trojan killers, free.

And chose to download and use the total av, program, after it ran the free scan it wanted to sign me up for a subscription, " on sale", today for $29.00, regularly $70.00 yearly, I declined.

Afterward I tested to see if the other program ran as before.

It ran much faster than it had for a couple of weeks, So for now I'm satisfied that I have this annoyance drove from my existence.

Actually, I suspect that the other sites technicians discovered that I run AdBlock+, and tweaked their presentation to stymie it.

And I have temporarily circumnavigated around them once more.

They are a heavily advertiser dependent site and think that they own their users.

Well, I have news for them, NO ONE owns me, except me.

Thank you all for the concern.

ED

Last edited by de-nagorg; 04-26-2019 at 04:29 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #10
Big Dog

I am glad you got it worked out.

I strongly suggest you get a good security suite even if you have to subscribe to it.

I have Norton Security Suite. Granted it is provided by my ISP but I would still subscribe were it now. It has stopped a number of attempts by web sites to compromise my system.

Some of those attempts actually came from woodworking websites that turned out to be "Ted's Woodworking" scam sites.
de-nagorg likes this.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

I too prefer Norton, it has been my go to for decades.

But with the new development in my life ( Amputation), my ability to earn the funds needed to live as I were independently wealthy, are gone.

So many cutbacks have to occur.

Not a tale that all other " retired" people face, as you might know.

As I said my I S P provided Security Suite, which is just an AV program, quite inadequate in my opinion.

I suspect that I got this trojan, viewing some link that was on here, either looking at some stupid story running in the CBR, or a link to someones " whatever has been shared as interesting".

Oh well, just another reminder to not click links, that you run across.

You never know what toad you are going to step on in the tall grass.

It's been running nearly perfect all day now, so it does seem that I chased that bat from my belfry once again.

ED
Old 04-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #12
Big Dog

I am truly sorry for your situation.

Norton is currently running a special. You can get Norton 360 Standard for $50 (normally $80) for the first year. I know it is only a year but at least you will have good protection for that time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drachenfire For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (04-27-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 12:19 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 198

I don't know if this is helpful to you but I am like you and let my McAfee expire.

I am not convinced that the virus protection we pay for is any better than the free stuff.

I downloaded Malwarebytes and I run it 1x,2x a week.

I use MSFT Defender about twice a week as well. The short version runs in the background a few times a week and I run the long version ( it takes 1-2 hours) and I also run the off line version (15 Minutes) once a week as well.

About once a week I use CCleaner to clean the registry and about once a month I use CCleaner to clean the rest of the PC and it cleans the history and many other things as well.

I guess it depends on what sites you visit and sometimes; despite our best intentions, we still get viruses and trojans.

But that is what I do and I am virus/trojan free.

I have spoken to several people and they do nothing for their computer.
But, I have too much personal and professional stuff on my laptop and it is a lot cheaper and less frustrating to do a little maintenance on my laptop than the frustration of an infected computer and potentially replacing it.

I consider it the electronic version of washing my car or changing the oil.

So far, so good.

Last edited by DallasCowboys; 04-29-2019 at 12:23 AM.
DallasCowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DallasCowboys For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #14
JUSTA MEMBER

As I suspected in #11 above, that other site has detected that I am AdBlock+ on them.

Today they did a popup, on me stating that I was to disable it, or Whitelist them, to be able to continue on with the site.

Well I did neither, just acknowledged that I had read their popup.

Then it got even slower, I finished, and returned later, and it ran fine again.

So next time, I will be looking into that Bitdefender, that a couple of you have suggested.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

ED
Old 04-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #15
JUSTA MEMBER

I just read back through this, and see no recommendation for bitdefender, it was Malwarebytes.

Sheesh, guess that I am getting old, with CRS.

ED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement