SSD Life - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 03-05-2019, 03:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

SSD Life

How long do SSD's usually last? I mean their life?
billymukers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 05:04 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,104

Re: SSD Life

I have no idea but my oldest son put one in his pc several yrs ago and it still works fine. He put one in mine a few months ago.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,505

They are rated based upon MTTF = Mean Time To Failure and TBW = (terabytes written) values. Most of the better brands have specs like 1.5- 2.0 MTTF and 500 TBW or better.

The TBW amount can vary widely within a product line.

For the WD models the expected life is about the same or better than a hard drive.

I just put a very small one in the wife's computer which is old and slow and the boot and shutdown time are both much faster.
ZZZZZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 70

As it's been said, it depends on how it's used, and the quality of the line. (brands have quality of product lines.)

The more you write to it the faster it'll start to fail. For most people, just surfing the web, doing office type work, or playing games it'll last a long time. (some expect them to last 5-10 years.) For things like video editing, it may only last just a few years. My Samsung 850 pro (1TB) has been powered on for 704 days. (according to the drive.)

(Note that the smaller drives will actually have a better life expectancy. With the way the data is packed in the newer technologies, mean time to failure is actually dropping. There's some good YouTube videos that explain it well if you're curious.)

Cheers!
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,422

Mechanical hard drives will be officially obsolete in a couple of years, like a floppy disk drive. Sure, it may still work, but new systems won't use them.
Dave Sal likes this.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,722

Mine was installed in January of 2013 and still working just fine.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
Note that the smaller drives will actually have a better life expectancy.

That is not consistent with what I have read. SSD's have a finite limit on how many times you can write to them. They have internal firmware to evenly spread data across the range, so then doubling the size of the SSD means each spot is written to half as often.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
That is not consistent with what I have read. SSD's have a finite limit on how many times you can write to them. They have internal firmware to evenly spread data across the range, so then doubling the size of the SSD means each spot is written to half as often.
The problem is the multiple data layers now. (multi-level) Each "cell" isn't just 1 bit, but is now up to 4, and soon to be more. That means each cell is often written to more often, than a single level cell. It also means that a defect in 1 cell, takes out 4 bits. (4x the damage for the same defect in a single level cell.)

There are mitigations, and the better controllers use only the first level at the beginning, and move on the the more challenging layers as required. (the more levels per cell, the slower the read/write, so this also improves performance.) Even with these mitigations, the mean time to failure and overall performance is lower on QLC Memory. Due to cost and size, TLC and QLC are more popular on larger drives. SLC for the same capacity is 4x the price. (depending on the exact manufacturing methods used.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-...ll?wprov=sfla1

You are right about now the controllers attempt to evenly wear the drive, and compensate where needed. That aspect hasn't changed.

Cheers!
SPS-1 and ZZZZZ like this.

Last edited by supers05; 03-05-2019 at 04:51 PM.
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 724

I built my PC in June 2014 and chose an Intel SSD. I use the Intel SSD Toolbox program to run trim weekly. The last time I did it showed it is at 75% life remaining, so it looks like this SSD is projected to last about 16 years or so. Fingers crossed.
ZZZZZ likes this.

Last edited by Dave Sal; 03-06-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 705

Wear leveling is accomplished by rotating through "extra" drive space. The total capacity of a drive will always be more than the rated capacity. This extra space is rotated in and out as data is written and deleted. Also, when sectors go bad, the extra space is utilized to maintain the rated capacity.
One aspect of SSD lifespan then is how much extra capacity is included. A cheap thumb drive may only have 10% but a high quality hard drive might have 50% or more.
chiraldude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
Challenge Everything!

Rewards Points: 491

I have installed SSD's in Workstations since 2011, sold over a hundred in 2018 alone.
I had one single failure (Adata) in all those years. Probably built 300+ machines with SSD's.
Deja-vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,746

My old computer has a samsung 500gb 840? SSD its atleast 6 years old and works fine.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,746

If you want the best, best performance and available locally, you can pick up the samsungs from best buy, for under $100...I have a PNY 500gb ssd, my samsungs make it look slow...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:13 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 6,504

Dave Sal got me thinking on how I can check the health of my SSD. ADATA has a utility that is supposed to be able to check any brand of SSD. My ADATA SSD is 3 years old and its showing it has about 90% of its life remaining.

https://www.adata.com/us/ss/software-6/
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,042

I bought mine October 1st 2015 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHRYRLY...ing=UTF8&psc=1

No problems at all and the SSD life test still says it's in perfect shape. Has a ten year warranty on it so I wasn't too worried. I'm confident enough that I'm planning to get the 980GB for video editing later this year.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement