May Need New Phone, Need Advice On Options... - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 06-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,402

May need new phone, need advice on options...

Hello,

As title suggests, may need new phone - old one has water damage, may not be repairable.

I'm a very light user - emergency phone for odd call/text, use camera a little, sometimes calculater. Don't have high budget, looking at used/open box only.

These are the options

3 month warranty phones:
1. LG fortune 4G, $100
2. PG phoenix, $100
3. Atcatel pop 4 plus, $100
4. Alcatel cameox, $90
5. Doro easy 824, 8mp $80

6 month warranty phones
1. Samsung S3, $90
2. Samsung S4, $120

All in canadian dollars.

Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,026

Re: May need new phone, need advice on options...

I'm on my second LG phone because the first one worked so well for me. Can't comment on any of the rest; I've not even heard of some of the brands.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 72

Samsung S5's are still on high demand. There's good reason for it, I still have one, with lineageOS on it. It outperforms new phones, except games, and some latest hardware stuff, like Wi-Fi 6.

LG also makes good phones.

Keep your eyes out for replacable batteries and water resistance. It's still available and will have great longevity.

As for local deals, I see a Samsung A10 for $200, and a J2 $120, both brand new and unlocked. Flagship phones are harder to find new at cheap prices, but open boxed versions are generally good deals.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #4

J2?

My budget is around $100 and the lower the better.

I'm only looking at open box/used/refurbished with replaceable battery.

The S3 or S4 look like the best phones of the lot but leery of getting something so old when there are newer low end phones available for a similar price.

The 3 month warranty ones are at canadian outlet, the 6 month ones a independent cell repair shop.

The lgs have mediocre reviews, doro is some special one for seniors, atcatel i know nothing about.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
As for local deals, I see a Samsung A10 for $200, and a J2 $120, both brand new and unlocked. Flagship phones are harder to find new at cheap prices, but open boxed versions are generally good deals.
what store are you looking at? Is j2 decent?

None of the ones with the 3 month warranty from canadian outlet look like very good quality phones. The s3 i saw is kind of too old to spend $90 on.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,082

This is the phone I had about a year ago. Worked just fine for me at that time and I actually used it fairly often to text and stuff. - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM-G9...gateway&sr=8-3

I actually "upgraded" backwards to the S5 Note because I wanted a bigger (size-wise) phone heh

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)

Last edited by Mystriss; 06-13-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #7

Got it fixed.
supers05 likes this.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #8

was only the battery connector that got damaged, i think pulling the battery and putting it in a bag with rice to dry saved the electronics.
supers05 and Mystriss like this.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_12345a View Post
was only the battery connector that got damaged, i think pulling the battery and putting it in a bag with rice to dry saved the electronics.
Pulling the battery is the most important part. The rice makes sure that there's somewhere for the moisture to go as it dries.

Cheers!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #10

The lights at the bottom stay on very faintly when it off, I only noticed last night.

Probably related to water damage.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
The lights at the bottom stay on very faintly when it off, I only noticed last night.

Probably related to water damage.
Probably. Over time it may morph into bigger problems.

Cheers!
Old 07-03-2019, 02:43 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 108

Unsure if phones are the same way, but I salvaged an old laptop by letting it dry for a few days. Poured water accidentally. It worked fine for a few months, but eventually gave out even if it was just 2 years or so. I assumed it had to do with water damage, so might be good idea to save for a new one eventually.
jecapereca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecapereca View Post
Unsure if phones are the same way, but I salvaged an old laptop by letting it dry for a few days. Poured water accidentally. It worked fine for a few months, but eventually gave out even if it was just 2 years or so. I assumed it had to do with water damage, so might be good idea to save for a new one eventually.
They are possible to repair, even if drying it doesn't work. Although this guy mostly only repairs Apple products, PC products are not much different, except price points, which makes repair a less viable option for PCs. There are also plenty of board level cell phone repair shops, in case you're wondering. (Also, this guy has some issues with Apple and their products, and explains them in several videos, in case you're interested.)

Cheers!
Old 07-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #14

PCs are easier to repair in the first place and have less stuff soldered to the board which can't be replaced.

Board level repair is generally not worth it and there are few who are skilled enough to do it. Most just change the part. If the part isn't available, most phones and laptops are simply replaced.

Apple doesn't really offer repair parts to general public or independent shops and charges an arm and a leg so people have to get creative, using doner boards, moving chips over.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #15

Quote:
PCs are easier to repair in the first place and have less stuff soldered to the board which can't be replaced.

Board level repair is generally not worth it and there are few who are skilled enough to do it. Most just change the part. If the part isn't available, most phones and laptops are simply replaced.

Apple doesn't really offer repair parts to general public or independent shops and charges an arm and a leg so people have to get creative, using doner boards, moving chips over.
He's making a business out of it, apparently restarted a field that has mostly died out. It's interesting what YouTube does these days. Some of their repairs are under 20 min.

He only fixes apple because of the low model count, making donor boards viable, and there's so many engineering failures that most repairs are the same few things. (lcd back light fuse, failed capacitors, etc.) PCs are priced so low, it still doesn't make sense to spend $2-400 on a repair on a 2 year laptop. Third party data recovery off of iPhones is a big thing now though.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement