Leave The Desk PC On Or Off Overnight ? - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree31Likes
Old 02-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 574

Leave the desk PC on or off overnight ?

I have read pros and cons for both, but still not convinced which is best.

Just something about my PC getting rebooted every morning make's me think I will be more susceptible to, awaiting "upgrades" from WIN 10 that I don't want.

So which one should it be, leave the desktop PC on all night or turn it off ?
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,172

Re: Leave the desk PC on or off overnight ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I have read pros and cons for both, but still not convinced which is best.

Just something about my PC getting rebooted every morning make's me think I will be more susceptible to, awaiting "upgrades" from WIN 10 that I don't want.

So which one should it be, leave the desktop PC on all night or turn it off ?
I leave mine on. Start up takes to long.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,760

Booting it does nothing for the updates. One of the reasons for turning the PC off once in a while is to save wear and tear on the fans. Putting it to sleep accomplishes the same thing.
GrayHair likes this.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,136

I always turn mine off at night. If I turn the pc on first, it's up and running before I get a cup of coffee.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,466

I look at mine as if it were my 48 ford coupe. Leave it run because it may not start again.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (01-15-2019)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,064

Shutting down and restarting does a lot of good things. The usual advice from people whose job it is to fix computers is to shut it down when you're done for the day.

Bad things accumulate over time. Memory leaks, bloated programs which load and stay resident, registry corruption, open file and resource handles, etc.

There's a reason every Help Desk tech in the world always starts with step 1 as "reboot and try again."

I should also add that "hibernation" mode is NOT shutting down. It just preserves the (possibly corrupt) state of the machine until next time.

The issue isn't really power consumption. Modern computers, and especially monitors, don't take much to begin with, and have power-saving features.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 812

Hibernation saves the ram to the hard drive.

Sleep mode keeps the memory active but shuts everything else and is what I use.

Running all the time shortens the life of fans and makes heatsinks get dirty faster = more maintenance.

You shouldn't have to restart once a day unless there's a problem.

Recovering from sleep mode is very fast.

Quote:
The issue isn't really power consumption. Modern computers, and especially monitors, don't take much to begin with, and have power-saving features.
They still consume a fair bit, 50 to 100 watts idling.

Sleep mode uses 1 or 2 watts.

Maybe if you're rich the $50 to $200 per year extra, depending on rates and consumption, isn't a lot but to me it's a waste.
Gregsoldtruck79 and CaptTom like this.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,064

Good points. I should elaborate that I'm not a fan of hibernate OR sleep mode. Both preserve the (possibly corrupt) state of the computer.

However, I find it hard to believe any modern computer uses 50 or 100W of power during either. A lot of power is also used by the monitor, although that varies widely by type.

While there's no need to reboot every day, doing so ensures that you start clean the next day, eliminates whatever power draw there is overnight, and reduces the exposure to harmful things like power surges. It's a good habit to get into, and over time, the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience of booting up next time. At work we used to say hit the button before you go get your coffee.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 708

I put my laptop in to Sleep mode by closing the lid a couple of times a day including overnight and do a shutdown/restart about every third or fourth day.

Seems to work fine for me.
CaptTom likes this.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 574

So how can I tell whether my HP - desktop PC with the WIN 10 OS, is using the "sleep" or hibernation mode ?

I do have to move the mouse or hit a key, to stir it up again....first thing in the morning.
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,760

That would be sleep mode. Takes a while to come out of hibernation, just like an animal which does the same.
CaptTom likes this.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #12
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,818

My PC has been running pretty much 24/7. I do this mostly because my system is setup to run scheduled backups at night.

It does get rebooted occasionally which everyone should do.

This flushes RAM which helps the systems performance. It stops memory leaks which can cause problems due to programs not closing properly. Rebooting also fixes small errors. When a computer boots, it runs a diagnostic on itself and automatically fixes minor errors.

Shutting down your PC at night will not hurt it. If you are impatient about it taking long to boot up, get a solid-state drive (SSD). It will cut your power up to desktop time down to about 20 seconds
Gregsoldtruck79 and CaptTom like this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,466

OK, I have a question if I may, pertaining to something my daughter suggested.

I think I have windows something. At least there is 4 window panes in a frame lookin thing in lower left corner.

I click on it and then in the upper right there is a little circle that someone drove a fence post in the top. I click it and get 3 options which of the 3 two are restart and shutdown. Question: is restart equal to a reboot? If not I'll change to clicking on shutdown and hope it starts back better than the 48 ford.

Ours remain on 24/7 more in winter than summer. They help keep the room warmer.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #14
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,818

Restart does indeed equate to reboot.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drachenfire For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (02-12-2018), SeniorSitizen (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 812

Quote:
Good points. I should elaborate that I'm not a fan of hibernate OR sleep mode. Both preserve the (possibly corrupt) state of the computer.

However, I find it hard to believe any modern computer uses 50 or 100W of power during either. A lot of power is also used by the monitor, although that varies widely by type.
I measured mine, the computer itself uses 100w idling. A more efficient one with integrated video may be 50 or 60, i have an inefficient quad core chip.

In sleep it's like 1w, it just trickles a little power to the ram to retain the information stored. Everything else is off.

The normal standby leave the computer on and shuts off disks, the cpu and gpu are idling away.

Goes up under load, but idle is what counts.

The state of the computer should not be "corrupt". If a machine needs to be restarted after only a day of use, there's a major problem.
CaptTom likes this.

Last edited by user_12345a; 02-12-2018 at 06:12 PM.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement