Information On Fire Stick - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree15Likes

Old 05-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #1
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,347

Information on Fire stick

We are really tired of paying for garbage on TV. Close to $100 a month to watch just a very few programs is crazy, so we shut our cable off. We bought an external antenna so we can get local programs but about the only thing worth watching is westerns. A person can handle only so many westerns. lol

I checked on line and ordered the Amazon Fire Stick but after something like 3 weeks, it hasn't even shipped so I canceled it. I have been looking online and found Jailbroken Fire Stick Fully Loaded w/ Kodi 18.5. This sounds illegal to me, does anyone know anything about this. While checking, I found one place that looked like it was from over in Iraq or somewhere like that. We sure don't need anything like that.

Any suggestions for just plain ole tv programs? We like to watch programs like building Alaska, Gold Rush and things like that. We also like to watch some of the older programs like the Waltons.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 464

Re: Information on Fire stick

I've heard of it but don't know much about it.
We have Roku and I like it ...... and there is no such thing as too many westerns!
BigJim, MTN REMODEL LLC and Nik333 like this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
I've heard of it but don't know much about it.
We have Roku and I like it ...... and there is no such thing as too many westerns!
I agree actually, if only they didn't show the same ones over and over.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
retired painter

With Roku [and I assume FireStick] there is no shortages of westerns to watch. Many I've never seen along with the ones I had completely forgotten about. I have several free western channels loaded onto my roku along with all you can get thru you tube. There are also many other types of movies and old tv shows available also.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 8,869

There are a lot of options but before you buy you should determine which smart device will offer what you want and that you have a decent connection speed of at least 6MBPS download with more being better.

Almost all devices offer Netflix and Amazon Prime. Starz is currently running a nice promotion (6 months for $25) and we are enjoying it.

ROKU as mentioned is one of the better known. It may well be the best choice if you don't want to think about it too much before you buy. I believe they are currently offer some discounted deals.

Most all new HDTV's offer some connectivity as do smart blu-ray players. Not all devices offer all apps that is why you sorta need to know what you want to stream before you buy the device.

All the free to views apps that I know of force you to watch their commercials. Amazon Prime and Netflix are the two with the widest variety. They both feature new and old movies and series along with a good bit of original content.

Amazon offers paid channels but Sling TV may be a better deal if you want something like a cable package.

Have fun.
Colbyt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,144

Had to ask...

BigJim- when you 'shut your cable off', did you keep or get an internet connection? We know you posted here so we'll assume yes.

All the mentioned devices need a degree of high speed internet. Other than over the air antenna, nothing is free. Just checking.

Also, just mentioning, when new antenna went in, did you do a channel scan using tv's original remote control?

Roku is the most independent of the device makers. Not all carry competitors product but it's gotten better. Roku by far has the most channels because it's easiest for content providers to 'get carried'.

With just internet, an inexpensive Roku will get you their Roku channel with many movies and tv shows. PlutoTV is carried for free as are many others. Westerns, old serials, tv from the 60's, recipe and cooking shows, exercise shows, etc are plentiful. I get a kick from original Batman & Robin serials from the 40's.

Edit: If any stick or similar device does not have an ethernet jack, it will rely on wi-fi. So you need a router on that mentioned internet. And an HDMI input port on your tv.

Roku sample selections:
https://blog.roku.com/hidden-gems-2018

Last edited by diyorpay; 05-09-2020 at 11:43 AM.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
Ole Wood Worker

Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it. We do still have internet. My wife and I were just talking about a new router so I did a speed test, it has slowed down some but it isn't too bad yet, I don't think.

I think we may got with the Roku, that may work for us.

Speed Test
Attached Thumbnails
Information on Fire stick-speed-test.jpg  

Jim
Old 05-10-2020, 05:46 AM   #8
retired painter

Those are a lot better speeds than I have and my roku/WiFi works fine.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:35 AM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Those are a lot better speeds than I have and my roku/WiFi works fine.
Thanks Mark, I appreciate the information. I had bought an Amazon Fire Stick online three weeks ago, and as of day before yesterday it hadn't even shipped yet so I canceled the order. I am glad I canceled now.

I am not up on all the electronics of today or even yesterday. lol

Jim
Old 05-10-2020, 06:47 AM   #10
retired painter

Quote:
I am not up on all the electronics of today or even yesterday

You aren't alone!
BigJim likes this.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2,472

You have a really good service speed for when you decide to stream. For the antenna watching, I imagine if you're in the hills of Chattanooga you may get spotty service. Changing the height and the cost of the antenna does make a difference unless you're down in a valley. I use Tvfool-dot-com (there are others) to list all the stations I can get and the radar map of where to aim the antenna for the best stations. Here's a general Chattanooga:
Information on Fire stick-chatty.jpg

We have a bunch of channels that play more than the westerns, it seems we can watch every television series from the 60s-80s now, a lot I'd forgotten about.
3onthetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #12
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
You have a really good service speed for when you decide to stream. For the antenna watching, I imagine if you're in the hills of Chattanooga you may get spotty service. Changing the height and the cost of the antenna does make a difference unless you're down in a valley. I use Tvfool-dot-com (there are others) to list all the stations I can get and the radar map of where to aim the antenna for the best stations. Here's a general Chattanooga:
Attachment 598499

We have a bunch of channels that play more than the westerns, it seems we can watch every television series from the 60s-80s now, a lot I'd forgotten about.
Thanks 3, I appreciate your time and information. I bought one of the Roku sticks. I am still learning how to use it but for me it is a challenge, I don't understand the electronic stuff to well. I was hoping we could use our antenna and the fire stick deal but that ain't going to work. When I unplug the fire stick to use the antenna, the TV don't work so we will just have to watch the local news on out PC. Here where we live, there are mountains all around us, we live in Lookout Valley.

I guess I need to look at a video of how to use the Roku. I like to have never got it to work at all. lol

Jim
Old 05-11-2020, 06:01 PM   #13
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2,472

Isn't the Roku plugged into the HDMI port of the tv, and you are using either your PC/phone or the supplied Roku remote to access the stick? You can keep the RG6 for the antenna still hooked up to 'cable.' So just switch the tv between the 'tv/cable' and 'hdmi' feed depending on whether you are Roku-ing or old school. If not I think Roku has some local channels allowed in some markets.
BigJim likes this.

Last edited by 3onthetree; 05-11-2020 at 06:03 PM.
3onthetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:14 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,144

Big Jim-

Plug Roku stick or Roku device into an HDMI port on tv. Often on back of tv. Some HDMI ports on side of tv. Note which HDMI port it is. (HDMI1, HDMI2 etc).

The over the air antenna gets connected (screws on) to the 'coax in' terminal that cable boxes use. Now get your remote control that came with tv. Look for the input button. With tv on, hit that button a few times to see your choices of inputs to tv screen. When you had cable, the tv was likely always set to channel 3 or 4 with that remote and then you put it away. The antenna over the air free tv will be one of the 'inputs'. It may say 'antenna' or cable. You want antenna. Take time to scan for channels if you haven't done that.

Now with your Roku remote, hit the center button to activate the Roku. With tv remote, hit input button to find the HDMI input with Roku device plugged in.

You will need to get a Roku account and get a name and password. Anywhere it requests your credit card info, skip it because you can enter that later or never if you don't want pay services (Netflix, many others).

Once you see your Roku screen, hit the home button, looks like a house.
Any boxed content on right side are some you may want to keep, others maybe not. Scroll right and down to navigate. Hit OK or center button to select. Maybe start with ROKU Channel. If your Roku remote has volume buttons on the side, you can pair to tv or just use tv remote for volume. If you want to reposition a 'channel' or even delete it (you can always add it back), press the 'asterisk' button and see choices. Arrow pointing left (the top one) means 'back up/ don't enter'. Click it a few times to get back to Home or just hit Home key.

All down left side are suggestions to add 'channels'. Settings is most important to get started. Hit that. Go right to Network. Right again to set up connection. Choose wireless for wifi. It will ask for your network name and password. You should be live on the internet then. Scroll down for subtitles and more.

Let's try Streaming Channels then enter. Then select Top free Movies & tv. Select a channel. Where it says add channel, hit enter.

Hit Home. Streaming Channels. Scroll down to Classic TV and select.Here's those westerns and much more. Home again, Streaming Channels. Now pick News and weather. We like WeatherNation for weather. There are more.

Enjoy your Roku.
3onthetree likes this.

Last edited by diyorpay; 05-11-2020 at 07:16 PM.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diyorpay For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (07-30-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #15
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyorpay View Post
Big Jim-

Plug Roku stick or Roku device into an HDMI port on tv. Often on back of tv. Some HDMI ports on side of tv. Note which HDMI port it is. (HDMI1, HDMI2 etc).

The over the air antenna gets connected (screws on) to the 'coax in' terminal that cable boxes use. Now get your remote control that came with tv. Look for the input button. With tv on, hit that button a few times to see your choices of inputs to tv screen. When you had cable, the tv was likely always set to channel 3 or 4 with that remote and then you put it away. The antenna over the air free tv will be one of the 'inputs'. It may say 'antenna' or cable. You want antenna. Take time to scan for channels if you haven't done that.

Now with your Roku remote, hit the center button to activate the Roku. With tv remote, hit input button to find the HDMI input with Roku device plugged in.

You will need to get a Roku account and get a name and password. Anywhere it requests your credit card info, skip it because you can enter that later or never if you don't want pay services (Netflix, many others).

Once you see your Roku screen, hit the home button, looks like a house.
Any boxed content on right side are some you may want to keep, others maybe not. Scroll right and down to navigate. Hit OK or center button to select. Maybe start with ROKU Channel. If your Roku remote has volume buttons on the side, you can pair to tv or just use tv remote for volume. If you want to reposition a 'channel' or even delete it (you can always add it back), press the 'asterisk' button and see choices. Arrow pointing left (the top one) means 'back up/ don't enter'. Click it a few times to get back to Home or just hit Home key.

All down left side are suggestions to add 'channels'. Settings is most important to get started. Hit that. Go right to Network. Right again to set up connection. Choose wireless for wifi. It will ask for your network name and password. You should be live on the internet then. Scroll down for subtitles and more.

Let's try Streaming Channels then enter. Then select Top free Movies & tv. Select a channel. Where it says add channel, hit enter.

Hit Home. Streaming Channels. Scroll down to Classic TV and select.Here's those westerns and much more. Home again, Streaming Channels. Now pick News and weather. We like WeatherNation for weather. There are more.

Enjoy your Roku.
diyorpay, thank you so much, that is one really big help. That works like a charm. Man there are a bunch of things to watch. There is even a bunch of Hoot Gibson westerns. lol That is some oldies, I love it. I really appreciate it buddy. Fiber optic cable we had didn't have near this many movies and things to watch.

3onthetree I appreciate your information also, thanks a bunch.

Mark, I really thank you for putting me on to Roku, it is well worth what we paid for it and more.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement