DVD Copyright - PC Repairs & Upgrades - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 08-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 485

DVD Copyright

Hello,
If it were possible for me to make a copy of a movie on DVD for my own use, would I be breaking the copyright law?
A disc of a movie that I have is hanging up on certain scenes. I thought the dvd players lens needed cleaning and I used a lens cleaner but it did not solve the problem. I played another movie without no problems. So the problem movie has to be at fault. Hence why I would like to see if making a copy on my computer would give me a good result.
I also used a disc cleaner and that did not help.

What are your thoughts about this?
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,636

Re: DVD Copyright

Technically illegal as far as I understand the law. Is anybody ever going to find out or really care? Not likely. I don't know if commercially produced DVDs have any type of write protection on them.

If the original DVD has a snag, making a copy may well just make another copy of the snag. Probably couldn't hurt to try, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 11,910

You have a copy bought and paid for, what equipment you use to see it would be reasonably up to you, your not selling or distributing copies. I think the law would be with you.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #4

Thanks,
Now I'll see If I can make a copy.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
You have a copy bought and paid for, what equipment you use to see it would be reasonably up to you, your not selling or distributing copies. I think the law would be with you.

The OP bought and paid for one copy and one copy only. My earlier comment should have had the caveat that laws may differ in different lands.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
The OP bought and paid for one copy and one copy only. My earlier comment should have had the caveat that laws may differ in different lands.
Back when we had to buy computer programs on discs we down loaded it but kept the disc to prove it was bought and paid for. I see no difference.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Back when we had to buy computer programs on discs we down loaded it but kept the disc to prove it was bought and paid for. I see no difference.

Oh, for sure. No doubt we're all done it, but whether it was or is technically legal is my point. There might exist a provision for 'format shifting'; i.e. making a backup copy on a computer or other platform, but I don't care enough to look. I know libraries and museums can do that for preservation purposes.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Oh, for sure. No doubt we're all done it, but whether it was or is technically legal is my point. There might exist a provision for 'format shifting'; i.e. making a backup copy on a computer or other platform, but I don't care enough to look. I know libraries and museums can do that for preservation purposes.
Either way no one is coming after a single user anyway.
lenaitch likes this.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #9
Challenge Everything!

Rewards Points: 491

Any DVD can be copied.
Any Blu-Ray can be copied.
Any UHD Blu-Ray can be ....uhm, well ripped.
They all have copy protection, if purchased. The DVD Copy protection has been broken back in the 90's.
There are plenty of free programs out there to copy a Store bought DVD.
Deja-vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 200

Before you try and copy it here's a couple of things to try out. Clean the disc using pledge. If that doesn't work try the next stage which is to gently polish it using car wax or even brasso and a microfiber cloth. The actual layer of data is on the underside of the top layer. Usually that doesn't get ruined but if the top layer is scratched deeply you're SOL. The bottom of the disc is usually where the damage happens and can usually be repaired by buffing it out.

And the copyright issue you don't even want to start in on because if it means you get it cheaper than a new copy it's illegal. Forget the company but because DVD's didn't degrade like VHS, they wanted the discs to just stop working after so many plays because they would lose money on repeat buyers.
Nealtw likes this.
Fish_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #11

I placed the faulty disc in my computer and play it to see if it would hang up. Well it did on the same scene. This tells me that I would get the same result trying to make a copy. So I am going to try Fish Stick suggestions to save it.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:56 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,536

I've had good luck with automotive wax as well.

I wouldn't be afraid of breaking copy protection and making a 'backup' either once you get it going. Technically it may be illegal in your area, but they are not going to arrest you for backing up a disc you legally purchased.

If you sell or give the copy away however, that becomes a problem. They lose money and THIS is what copy protection is trying to stop.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:13 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Stick View Post

And the copyright issue you don't even want to start in on because if it means you get it cheaper than a new copy it's illegal. Forget the company but because DVD's didn't degrade like VHS, they wanted the discs to just stop working after so many plays because they would lose money on repeat buyers.

The idea of copyright and purchasing the right to watch a video/movie has nothing to do with making money off repeat buyers or "wanting" discs to stop working. Indeed copyright has nothing to do with the media which the movie is on at all.

In fact when you get into Blu Ray, you will find that the industry has gone the extra mile to try and alleviate this "back up" issue by supplying several different media types in the package that you buy... the blu ray disc itself, a dvd version as well as access to a downloadable version.
Fish_Stick likes this.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #14
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

The MPAA is in charge or protecting against bootleg DVDs & the RIAA does the same for audio recordings.I knew a guy who worked for the RIAA. His job was to have the cops arrest people at flea markets who were selling bootleg CDs. The last thing that a cop wants to do is arrest people at a flea market. It's supposed to be a cake walk day & usually is. So the RIAA guy would buy the cops lunch. Both the RIAA & the MPAA have a small army. Here's a pic.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-F...-riaa-cops.jpg
Fish_Stick likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
The idea of copyright and purchasing the right to watch a video/movie has nothing to do with making money off repeat buyers or "wanting" discs to stop working. Indeed copyright has nothing to do with the media which the movie is on at all.

In fact when you get into Blu Ray, you will find that the industry has gone the extra mile to try and alleviate this "back up" issue by supplying several different media types in the package that you buy... the blu ray disc itself, a dvd version as well as access to a downloadable version.

Well they are trying but not very hard that's for sure. I find it very frustrating that usually my legal means of watching content is very cumbersome and has problems - Vudu, UV copies etc. They update something and now your content isn't available or doesn't work right until the next update. Offline play really means you still need an active connection because it has to periodically check while you're watching that you're authorized to view it even though you just downloaded it the night before...(Netflix is the only service I've used so far that truly had offline download copies) However the one thing that always works are my "backup" copies from DVDs that I exported to my phone or tablet. But as mentioned above this is probably more due to the MPAA garbage.

But back to the topic if you can't get the disc to play properly a backup copy isn't going to be any better. Some of the rippers have an option of error scanning or correction that will attempt to read those bad sectors but the best way is to get the disc working properly first. Used to use dvd fab and nero years back in the XP days. Depending on the actual disc too you might need to compress it when you back it up if you don't have dual layer discs. I'll see if I can come up with the name of that software - dvd shrink is what comes to mind right now.
Fish_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement