Welding Torch - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BayouRunner
  • 1 Post By BigD9105
  • 1 Post By LS-6

Old 03-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 374

welding torch

Using my oxy/acetylene torch, with the heating tip ( rose bud ), I cant seem to get it to right, as soon as I turn on the oxygen and start to adjust the flame it pops and goes out and if I can get it to a neutral flame it only last a short time and pops and goes out. I have cleaned the tip, even tried a new tip, same thing, pops and goes out right away. I have tried different pressures with no better results. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the problem ? what is the optimum gauge pressure to use, etc etc ? Thanks.

Frustrated
shirbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 404

Re: welding torch

Rosie Budd is real picky about her settings. Take her off the handle and look in her inlet orifice for a slightly corrugated insert of thin brass about 3/8" long and a few hundredths wide, with a thickness of 0.010" or so. If it is missing replace it. (this aids in mixing gas and oxygen) Set pressures to 6# acetylene and 40# oxygen initially and see how that works.
When she gets too hot she will start the popping so back up from the workpiece and allow her to operate without the heat blowback. Other than this, it is pretty much practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!

RR

Last edited by Rough Rooster; 03-23-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: add
Rough Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 534

welding torch

Depending on the tip is what you want to set the pressures at. Popping could be caused by two much pressure. Dirty tip, you would need a wire tip cleaner. Or the tip might not be tight. Try setting acetylene at say 5psi with the torch valve open and the oxygen double that. Pressures could be slightly higher but not much. Certainly not over 15 on the acetylene. Been a long time since Iíve read the gauges. Basically just set and forget. But start low. You may have to make oxygen a little higher. Not to high though as it will blow a whole with what your working with. There are charts for the tip number to set pressures if you want to look it up. The tip number is stamped in the tip itself.

Just saw other post, didnít realize you were using a rose bud. Oxygen will have to be higher like posted above. Iíll leave the rest up for setting up a regular tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Metalhot likes this.

Last edited by BayouRunner; 03-23-2019 at 01:13 PM.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 374

Thanks for the input. Yeah. it just a frustrating pain in the neck.
shirbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 12

Is your rosebud designed for acetylene or mapp gas. If you unscrew the tip from the tube and blow out all the black residue created from your previous tries and set the pressures on the Acetylene at 12 to 15 psi and the oxygen at 50 you should have no issues. Most reasons for it popping is insufficient fuel with to much oxygen. Turn your gas on with just a little oxygen ( it will pop ) but then adjust your fuel to how much heat you want then adjust your oxygen to bring the outside blue flames to about 1/4" long. Should work out just fine. Regards, BigD9105
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
BigD9105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,774

Quote:
I have cleaned the tip,
Ayuh,...... Check the condition of the o-rings on the other end, in the mixin' handle,.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
DIY Veteran

Rewards Points: 40

I usually set acetylene at 7-10 psi and oxygen 40-50 psi. The tip MUST be clean. If you hear a whistling sound the flame is burning inside turn it off right away and this is a sign of a very dirty torch. Just my 2 cents worth.
Metalhot likes this.
LS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS-6 View Post
I usually set acetylene at 7-10 psi and oxygen 40-50 psi. The tip MUST be clean. If you hear a whistling sound the flame is burning inside turn it off right away and this is a sign of a very dirty torch. Just my 2 cents worth.
Glad someone posted this. Just had a bad tip "magically" appear in one of my welding cabinets in my shop. Since my rosebud was out on loan I used the unknown rosebud. Same thing as OP ran into. Lots of popping and gas was fine and the torch neck was white hot. Bad head.
Metalhot is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement