Welding A Steel Fence - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 86

Welding a steel fence

I have a small L-shaped iron fence around my garden that I would like to move at some point. To move the fence I will need to cut apart the two sections at the corner of the L and then reassemble the fence after cutting to a different length.

The metal fence sections are probably less than 20 years old, made of maybe 3/4" square stock steel that is painted black. I assume the square stock is hollow but won't know until I cut it.

I have a small 4 1/2" disk grinder that should work for cutting the welds which hold the two sections together. A hack saw would probably work too.

I don't have a welder and haven't done any welding since middle school, and that was only a small amount of oxyacetylene welding using brass? rods. Anyway, I was thinking I could do the welding myself if I rented the proper equipment. I would consider buying, but don't see much need for other welding projects in the future.

Any ideas on what type of equipment I would need to weld this fence? Do I need an arc welder or could oxyacetylene do the job? Should I just hire someone to do this for me?
shaftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Picture would be nice.
How big is it?
A welding shop with a mig welder could weld it in a few min.
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftmaster View Post
I have a small L-shaped iron fence around my garden that I would like to move at some point. To move the fence I will need to cut apart the two sections at the corner of the L and then reassemble the fence after cutting to a different length.

The metal fence sections are probably less than 20 years old, made of maybe 3/4" square stock steel that is painted black. I assume the square stock is hollow but won't know until I cut it.

I have a small 4 1/2" disk grinder that should work for cutting the welds which hold the two sections together. A hack saw would probably work too.

I don't have a welder and haven't done any welding since middle school, and that was only a small amount of oxyacetylene welding using brass? rods. Anyway, I was thinking I could do the welding myself if I rented the proper equipment. I would consider buying, but don't see much need for other welding projects in the future.

Any ideas on what type of equipment I would need to weld this fence? Do I need an arc welder or could oxyacetylene do the job? Should I just hire someone to do this for me?
Ayuh,.... I mess with that sorta stuff from time to time,....

It could be gas welded with a coathanger as filler rod,...
Or it could be brazed with the brass rod, like ya did years ago,...
Both with O/ Ac torches,....

The easiest, 'n what I do is use a Mig, wirefeed welder, 'n flux-core wire, .030 for those railin's,......
Even the little 120v units are big enough,....

Hirin' it, or findin' a friend with a Mig is no doubt the best way to go over buyin' a Mig,...
Especially if You do all the cuttin', fittin', 'n fabbin' before hand,...

You'd be into it a couple hundred by the time ya pull the trigger, 'n start weldin',...
That bein' the cheapest chinese junk out there,...

Last edited by Bondo; 04-02-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 86

Here are some pics:

Welding a steel fence-20150402_145808.jpg

Welding a steel fence-20150402_145921.jpg

As you can see in the second pic, the square posts are hollow, probably about 1/16" thick steel. The horizontal rails are actually channel steel.
shaftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,334

As mentioned above, cut and prepare everything and hire someone to come by to weld it for you. Make sure all paint is ground at least 2" away from the welding area. Have a can of primer and black paint on hand to touch it up.
Advertisement