Tool Recommendation - Cutting SS Cable - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Canarywood1

Old 05-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 539

Tool Recommendation - Cutting SS Cable

I'm installing a cable railing system on my deck. This is my second installation with this same manufacturer over a period of a few years. The cable is 1/8" SS, multi strand. One MUST have a "clean cut" end on this stuff so some one way anchors will slide on and secure it to the end post. I screwed up and in pulling my first long run through the posts, a strand started to peel back from the factory end. Fortunately, I stopped the unravel in time, so there remains enough useful cable to complete the installation of that run. However, I need to create another round, intact, non-unraveling end on that piece, i.e., I need to cut it. Some nightmares from my first experience with this stuff float through my head.

So I'm looking for recommendations as to specific tools and techniques to get me where I need to be.
Curmudgeon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,906

Re: Tool Recommendation - Cutting SS Cable

Many years ago in the Military we would rap electrical tape around the cable than use a Guillotine cutter than you applied force with a large hammer clean cut. Also had some kind of very hard wax like substance that when melted would form a coating on the cable end to hold the strands together. I think now a day you could use a Hot Glue gun ? Also you can purchase a hand held cable cutter for around $ 50.00.
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,042

Wrap the 2 inches above and below the cut with electrical tape, and cut in the middle with an angle grinder with a cutting wheel, neat clean and fast.
Yodaman likes this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 332

This is what you need. https://www.diyhomecenter.com/azek-c...YaAiySEALw_wcB You can the 3/16" or for whatever size of calbe you're using.

Whoever you bought the cable rail parts from should sell the cutter and crimping tool too.

You need the right tools otherwise you'll be fighting it all the way trying to get all of those nifty little accessories to work.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Wrap the 2 inches above and below the cut with electrical tape, and cut in the middle with an angle grinder with a cutting wheel, neat clean and fast.
Thanks! I'm going with this idea. Perhaps I'll gild the lily a bit by dropping some CA adhesive on the strands in between the tape.
Curmudgeon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement