Stainless Steel - Outdoor Kitchen Heat - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2018, 12:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Stainless steel - Outdoor kitchen heat

Hello - Iím framing an outdoor kitchen structure that will surround my standing gas grill. The structure surrounds my grill on both sides and back with about a 2-3 inch gap on all sides to allow for some additional air flow/venting. I need to surround the framing with fiber cement paneling so that I can apply stone over the top of it, but I didnít intend to put the stone on the area immediately surrounding the grill so I have flexibility with what I cover the framing with in that area of the structure. If I install stainless steel sheets on the areas around the grill instead of the panels, are there any fire/heat hazards that I now need to be mindful of? I had considered using a fire-rated fiber cement siding panel around the wood framing but Iím still unclear if that will suffice in the grill area. The structure is framed with pressure treated wood that has been coated multiple times with a fire retardant chemical, and I thought the fiber cement siding would provide the fire/heat protection I need. My main question is: Would a stainless steel sheet deflect the heat or will heat be absorbed/pass through the steel sheets? I want to make sure the wood framing underneath isnít at risk to fire due to the heat build up from normal grilling...any thoughts?
sockersfc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 04:39 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,482

Re: Stainless steel - Outdoor kitchen heat

Are you sure you need that much space around it.
Have you got a brand and model we can look up?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

The grill is a Char Brioil 4-burner infrared grill (model 463251913). The gap around the grill may be overkill, but I really donít think it looks that bad and iíd prefer some air flow over no air flow. Iím just wondering if stainless steel sheets would be a good alternative for the ďcoveĒ where the grill will stand to ensure the heat doesnít penetrate the wood structure. Iíll post some pictures to hopefully better show the layout iím working with. I just donít know if stainless shell sheets would then introduce another variable that I wasnít considering (I.e. too much heat directed back to the grill, inability for the stainless sheet to hold up to outdoor elements, etc.). Anything I need to be mindful of?....and/or would it still absorb heat to the point where it would introduce a larger hazard for the wood structure? Fortunately, the actual grilling portion of the grill isnít surrounded and should have plenty of air flow, so iím not sure if iím Just over engineering this concern in my head. Better to be safe than sorry, I suppose (and yes, I know I could have just framed it with metal someday of wood to avoid this altogether).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,976

Most of the free standing (BBQ) type grills I have seen are not suitable for builtin installation by the Mfg.

Grills designed for builtin installation come with a design that gives you the required dimensions, support, where the vent cut outs need to be, etc.

Buy a new grill designed for the purpose. Once itís installed and operable, you can sell the bbq unit.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

Thanks Oso. That is not an option I'm pursuing at this point so I'll continue to await feedback on options for my existing plan. There is venting on all 3 sides so I'm optimistic that the airflow/venting still be sufficient, My concern is more just the heat in the area itself that's given off from the grill, so just trying to figure out what material would help ensure the heat doesn't penetrate the wood structure so I'm trying to focus on the stainless steel itself. If stainless steel was attached to the wood, would the "Cold" side of the steel still get hot enough to introduce a hazard for the wood or do I need to somehow create a gap between the steel & the wood to prevent the heat from penetrating through? I suppose another option is also to just use the stone veneer over the fiber cement panels since the veneer has the class A fire rating. I appreciate the thoughts so far, though.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,482

We had sheet metal behind the wood stove when I was a kld, they had it spaced one inch away from the wall to protect the wood.

Last edited by Nealtw; 07-23-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
If stainless steel was attached to the wood, would the "Cold" side of the steel still get hot enough to introduce a hazard for the wood or do I need to somehow create a gap between the steel & the wood to prevent the heat from penetrating through?
Ayuh,...... As for the various metals easily available to Us, SSteel is the least heat conductive,.....
Then steel,.....
Then copper, 'n aluminum, which really conduct heat, very quickly,.....

For yer plan, it wouldn't hurt a thing, to put a body washer on the backside of the ssteel panel, 'tween it, 'n the wood, where yer attachment screws are,.....
Probably completely unnecessary, but whatever makes ya feel good,.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement