Rusted Out Metal Railing - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Rusted out metal railing

I won't explain the situation in its entirety, but I lived at a place where the metal railings on the front stoop were in really bad shape. On the one side, the two points it was cemented into the wall were loose (I'm sure that could have been easily fixed), and the bottom rail detached from the post, and the post was so rusted and corroded away that three of the for sides of the post were missing over roughly two to three inches and was located just a few inches off the ground. If I get time I will post a pic. My question is whether or not it is safe to repair this railing versus replace it, since that is exactly what the owner did. For additional reference, they are the original railings on a 1920's home.
MTSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

No pictures.
Time to replace them long ago.
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,022

If it is so rusted out.

my suggestion is to "accidently" put enough weight on it that you tear it off, that way the tenement lord will have to replace it.

remember to be sneaky and do not get seen by anyone, and be careful that you do not fall with it, and get injured.

Then report the missing rail and put caution tape up so that someone else does not get hurt.

Wait one week then call the code enforcers, they will get the proper repairs done A S A P.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
My question is whether or not it is safe to repair this railing versus replace it, since that is exactly what the owner did.
Ayuh,.... If the Owner fixed it, that means yer a tenant,..??

Is the railin' secure enough to be an aid to walkin' up, 'n down the stairs,..??

If so, you have No complaint,....
The railin' is still capable of doin' it's intended job,.....

Quote:
my suggestion is to "accidently" put enough weight on it that you tear it off, that way the tenement lord will have to replace it.
As a Landlord, I find that suggestion Offensive,...

I do all I can do to make my rental house as comfortable, 'n safe as possible,....
Havin' a tenant, or others trashin' the place, because they "Think" something is wrong, is pure insanity,....

A few years ago, the punk kids, next door decided my handrail was their seat to use,....
I'd fix it, they'd bust it,....
Finally, I caught 'em,....
At the confrontation, the punk told me the handrail wasn't strong enough,....
That's when I informed the punk that it's a handrail, to steady yerself walkin' down the stairs, NOT his F&^%in' Seat,....
Then I called the local Cops,....

No problem since, the handrail is still Fixed,.....

The railin' noted above is a railin',.... NOT a Retainin' wall,.....
It only needs to be stout enough to do it's intended task, nothin' more, nothin' less,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
78Vette (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... If the Owner fixed it, that means yer a tenant,..??

Is the railin' secure enough to be an aid to walkin' up, 'n down the stairs,..??

If so, you have No complaint,....
The railin' is still capable of doin' it's intended job,.....

As a Landlord, I find that suggestion Offensive,...

I do all I can do to make my rental house as comfortable, 'n safe as possible,....
Havin' a tenant, or others trashin' the place, because they "Think" something is wrong, is pure insanity,....

A few years ago, the punk kids, next door decided my handrail was their seat to use,....
I'd fix it, they'd bust it,....
Finally, I caught 'em,....
At the confrontation, the punk told me the handrail wasn't strong enough,....
That's when I informed the punk that it's a handrail, to steady yerself walkin' down the stairs, NOT his F&^%in' Seat,....
Then I called the local Cops,....

No problem since, the handrail is still Fixed,.....

The railin' noted above is a railin',.... NOT a Retainin' wall,.....
It only needs to be stout enough to do it's intended task, nothin' more, nothin' less,....
The problem is this owner has a history of denying issues and covering them up versus properly fixing them, and simply ignoring problems such as exposed electrical connections on the outside of the house, non-GFCI outlets behind the washers and utility tubs, years of lint build up in the dryer ducting etc. Or the ceramic tile floor in the kitchen installed on an unlevel floor without leveling cement or a subfloor leading to continuously cracking and moving tiles and grout coming up. First she tried to give me crack filler, then she said its normal for a floor to do that after about 8 years, and now she is having select tiles replaced. I was also blamed for a light socket burning out and the paint actively pealing off of the wood work (which exposed lead containing laquer which I was told was not up there, and just for the record I have children who are currently 2 years and 3 months and we lived there for almost three years. I won't get into the rest, but there's lots more.

And to be honest, I don't know how secure the railing is now because I no longer live there, I hear things through the grape vine. My concern and curiosity is how long they will stay fixed before there is another problem.

So you can see where I was concerned.

Last edited by MTSpartan; 06-20-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
And to be honest, I don't know how secure the railing is now because I no longer live there, I hear things through the grape vine. My concern and curiosity is how long they will stay fixed before there is another problem
Ayuh,..... So you don't have a horse in this race, yet you insist on makin' somebody else a Bad guy,..??

Get a life of yer own,.....
You've already done the right thing, you Moved,....

Anything that landlord does is no longer Any of yer business,.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-21-2015), oh'mike (06-21-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Ayuh,..... So you don't have a horse in this race, yet you insist on makin' somebody else a Bad guy,..??

Get a life of yer own,.....
You've already done the right thing, you Moved,....

Anything that landlord does is no longer Any of yer business,.....
I don't have to make anybody a "bad guy" simply by reporting facts of neglect and endangerment of lives via ignorance. People make themselves bad guys with their own choices and behaviors, and concidering how little you know about the situation, making definitive comments about something you are mostly unfamiliar with doesn't make you look very good.

In regard to the railing specifically, it is more of a curiosity than anything. If you actually read my post you would know this already. I simply want to know how safe it is to repair a railing that has the described damage, take that at face value. I question the validity of the repair only because of the owner's previous record, but for all I know they could be doing something completely acceptable.

And I do have a "horse in the race" as you say, but it's none of your buisness how.
The Following User Says Thank You to MTSpartan For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,022

There was a "SLUM LORD" here in my community of around 65,000 people, a few years ago, who did similar things as you have described.

Many tenants moved on to other accommodations, and also reported the deplorable conditions to the county code enforcement.

After a few "surprise" inspections the county closed the complex.

35 families were out of a place to live , but the community pulled together and all were able to get into better arrangements.

The place was bad enough that the owner abandoned it to the city, it was demolished, and is now a park and playground.

I am glad that you were able to move, but feel for the current tenants who are living in danger.

If just one gets injured on those bad railings, the property owner is liable, and might be paying much more for the medical and such, than it would take to repair the place correctly.

P.S. Bondo: not all landlords are willing as you are to keep their rentals in decent shape, and yes I know that not all tenants give a d--n about their abode either.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
mimoose (10-17-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
P.S. Bondo: not all landlords are willing as you are to keep their rentals in decent shape, and yes I know that not all tenants give a d--n about their abode either.
Ayuh,... Still no reason to advocate vandalism against another's property,....

No reason to group all landlords as slumlords either,....
Old 06-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #10

Quote:
No reason to group all landlords as slumlords either,....
Where in the world did you see that in this thread??!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MTSpartan For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (06-21-2015), gregzoll (06-23-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSpartan View Post
Where in the world did you see that in this thread??!!
Quote:
There was a "SLUM LORD" here in my community

I question the validity of the repair only because of the owner's previous record,

The problem is this owner has a history of denying issues and covering them up versus properly fixing them, and simply ignoring problems

My question is whether or not it is safe to repair this railing versus replace it, since that is exactly what the owner did.
As I said, if it was repaired to the extent that it serves it's intended purpose,.....

It's Fixed
Old 06-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,836

Well, in my opinion, if things are that bad and it appears that there are some code violations, etc. then the best thing to do would be to report them to your local zoning commission or some other body of authority that "red flags" all those things. I mean, seriously, what we're going to say on here has little merit other than we're going to say to get those things fixed for the sake of the tenants and their safety, but, you already know that!!! Find someone in your area with some authority that can get the ball rolling on proper repairs. Obviously, the landlord isn't going to do anything........willingly, that is.
MTSpartan (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
As I said, if it was repaired to the extent that it serves it's intended purpose,.....

It's Fixed
Wow Bondo, you are a piece of work.

He said that he knew a "slum lord" and signifies with his quotations that this is his personal characterization or that of others familiar with the situation based on related facts, but no where does he say all landlords are slum lords.

And I questioned the owner I'm referring to because they have done lots of shotty patch jobs, or ignored issues, or tried to blame them on me. Again, these are facts and not unfair characterizations.

And again, is it repaired to the extent of its intended purpose? Is a rusted out railing with a patch job still not a rusted out railing? How long in that condition will it serve its intended purpose before it is a problem again? Is this a typical practice?

Last edited by MTSpartan; 06-21-2015 at 01:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MTSpartan For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-23-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Well, in my opinion, if things are that bad and it appears that there are some code violations, etc. then the best thing to do would be to report them to your local zoning commission or some other body of authority that "red flags" all those things. I mean, seriously, what we're going to say on here has little merit other than we're going to say to get those things fixed for the sake of the tenants and their safety, but, you already know that!!! Find someone in your area with some authority that can get the ball rolling on proper repairs. Obviously, the landlord isn't going to do anything........willingly, that is.
Well, my other question is the owner is looking at selling the property (it is a duplex), and if this happens wouldn't the prospective buyers have an inspection done if they know what they are doing, and this would expose any problems, or are there differences between how that inspection would be conducted versus if the building inspector is called for a specific issue or random inspection?
Old 06-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,836

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSpartan View Post
Is this a typical practice?
Unfortunately, it is. I've worked for numerous "slum lords" over the past 30 years and many of them do just enough on their properties to "get by." I've seen things like DUCT TAPE used to repair kitchen drain pipes where someone cut the pipe an inch too short and then it was extended with the duct tape. I've seen them insist on using crappy paint from Big Lots to paint walls. I've seen them scrub carpets that should have been replaced 20 years ago. You get the picture.

Luckily, there are some landlords who really do care and really do take care of their properties.
Advertisement