Flattening Window Well Flanges - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 07-31-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 92

Flattening window well flanges

Good day all,

I just had a flood in my basement where all the water was leaking into my window wells through the gap between the flanges and the foundation. Had a look at the window wells and they have become loose from the foundation. They are getting old so i am just gonna replace them instead of repairing the currently installed ones. The new window wells i have have corrugated flanges but i would like to (at least partially) flatten the flanges so that they sit flush against the foundation and would stop most water from entering that way. Does anyone have any tips on how to flatten the corrugated flanges? Could i just pound on it with a hammer or would this cause stress fractures in the metal? Again, they don't need to be perfectly flat, just a bit flatter so that i have less of a gap. I will be using construction adhesive on the flanges before i mount the window wells, but I would prefer not to have a 1" gap (the valleys of the corrugated steel are about 1" deep) filled with construction adhesive if possible.

Thanks so much
cedricmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,642

Re: Flattening window well flanges

They should flatten pretty easily.

Two blocks of wood and you should be good.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 10:53 PM   #3

Thanks for your help. Do you mean that I should sandwich the flange between 2 blocks of wood and hit the blocks with a hammer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 04:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,015

Perhaps the wrong size was installed on your home??

From memory and a refresh by looking at this page, https://www.lowes.com/pd/CMI-Vent-We...-12-in/3284514 , the flange is already flat on the ones I used.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:46 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Ayuh,.... I caution flattenin' corrugated flanges, as flattenin' corrugations creates a longer piece of metal,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Perhaps the wrong size was installed on your home??

From memory and a refresh by looking at this page, https://www.lowes.com/pd/CMI-Vent-We...-12-in/3284514 , the flange is already flat on the ones I used.
Thanks for your reply Colbyt. The new window wells that i ordered are 8" higher than the old ones so that i can raise them higher off ground level and also install the well deeper in the hole. Unfortunately, the company that had to custom-make my window wells only offers the flanges as corrugated.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... I caution flattenin' corrugated flanges, as flattenin' corrugations creates a longer piece of metal,....
Thanks for your reply Bondo. I was thinking about that as well. Maybe I could cut a small slit in each corrugated valley so that if i flatten the flanges down, the metal will overlap. Then i would use construction adhesive between the flanges and foundation to create a good seal. What do you think?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,996

I wouldn't cut the flange into little tabs. You are giving up a lot of strength.

I don't know how they fabricated your window well, but the fold line should be a lot flatter than the outside edge of the flange. I'd run a bead or two down the flange next to fold line, before installing against the house.
As long as it seals at that point, you don't have to fill the the entire width of the flange.
Bondo likes this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
I wouldn't cut the flange into little tabs. You are giving up a lot of strength.

I don't know how they fabricated your window well, but the fold line should be a lot flatter than the outside edge of the flange. I'd run a bead or two down the flange next to fold line, before installing against the house.
As long as it seals at that point, you don't have to fill the the entire width of the flange.
Thanks for your reply. That makes sense to me. Can you recommend a sealant or would standard construction adhesive work?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,996

I would use Sikaflex concrete fix.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sikaflex-...7783/202529331
Bondo and cedricmeier like this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
cedricmeier (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,734

You don't want to seal it, If you seal it and the water pressure build up behind it what ever you do will fail. So plan on dealing with water in the first place. When you install a new one with a drain for water also back fill the outside with gravel and you will not build up enough water to come gushing it it will just drain away as it arrives.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
You don't want to seal it, If you seal it and the water pressure build up behind it what ever you do will fail. So plan on dealing with water in the first place. When you install a new one with a drain for water also back fill the outside with gravel and you will not build up enough water to come gushing it it will just drain away as it arrives.
That makes sense...I didn't even think about that. Could I seal it with the sikaflex and back fill the outside with gravel as well. That way the pressure shouldn't build up enough for the sikaflex to fail?
Old 08-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #13
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricmeier View Post
That makes sense...I didn't even think about that. Could I seal it with the sikaflex and back fill the outside with gravel as well. That way the pressure shouldn't build up enough for the sikaflex to fail?
I wouldn't seal it at all with gravel on the outside to it will drain water at or near the bottom.As the gravel fills with mud that draining moves up. If you have it sealed and the mud plugs the grave you are building pressure.

If the rest of you perimeter drain is working non of this is an issue and no sealer is needed anyway,
cedricmeier likes this.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I wouldn't seal it at all with gravel on the outside to it will drain water at or near the bottom.As the gravel fills with mud that draining moves up. If you have it sealed and the mud plugs the grave you are building pressure.

If the rest of you perimeter drain is working non of this is an issue and no sealer is needed anyway,
Sounds like a plan! The last thing i need is another leaky basement Thanks so much for your help.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:21 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,368

Didn't read everything carefully...but window wells are not really meant to deal with water. They are meant to keep dirt from covering your window....whether it is a small basement window or a large egress window that allows you to finish your basement. Water should just drain out. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
flange , leak , metal , water , window