Corrugated Metal Use In Fencing - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 12-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 353
Rewards Points: 706
Default

corrugated metal use in fencing


I was actually looking for a fencing category, but when I saw metal fabrication, and since I'd like to combine corrugated metal with rough cedar in panels, thought I'd ask for some advice. Not sure welding will be involved, but maybe someone familiar with corrugated metal panels will know the best way to attach to a frame, and if the wind resistence will be a problem and possibly remedied by cutouts..anyway..that's my inquiry, if anybody's game!
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,815
Rewards Points: 1,706
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by onjtrainee View Post
I was actually looking for a fencing category, but when I saw metal fabrication, and since I'd like to combine corrugated metal with rough cedar in panels, thought I'd ask for some advice. Not sure welding will be involved, but maybe someone familiar with corrugated metal panels will know the best way to attach to a frame, and if the wind resistence will be a problem and possibly remedied by cutouts..anyway..that's my inquiry, if anybody's game!
Ayuh,.... Ya talkin' 'bout 4'x8', 'bout an 1, 1/2" waffles, galvanized corrugated roofin' sheets,..??

I'd think boxin' it in with cedar lumber could work,...
Say if the posts were 2x6, 'n a 2x4, 'n another 2x6, there'd be an 1, 1/2" channel to hold the metal,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 353
Rewards Points: 706
Default


Metal sounds right dimensions, left over from old roofing project, so has a certain distressed look already...But the cedar is cedar trees i can square off, thought about scoring grooves in the sides and seating the metal on either side. It will get strong wind resistence south and north, so thinking of opening it up with cut outs. Want to make it wavy in height variations to hide a big ugly metal building they just put in across the street, while still seeing out and having the country road on the corner not totally blocked out. I thought of using combo, coyote fence (cedar stays) combined with metal...and trying to make it look like it was planned not just a reaction, which is mostly how I've felt since I realized I needed something to block this view, without ruining my side of the fence too much.

The highest part will have to be 12'...and can maybe lift the metal panels on that section, and cattle panel or some other opening below for air circ.

Wonder how much extra digging I'll have to do to anchor such tall sections.

Last edited by onjtrainee; 12-30-2014 at 09:33 PM.
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,815
Rewards Points: 1,706
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by onjtrainee View Post
Metal sounds right dimensions, left over from old roofing project, so has a certain distressed look already...But the cedar is cedar trees i can square off, thought about scoring grooves in the sides and seating the metal on either side. It will get strong wind resistence south and north, so thinking of opening it up with cut outs. Want to make it wavy in height variations to hide a big ugly metal building they just put in across the street, while still seeing out and having the country road on the corner not totally blocked out. I thought of using combo, coyote fence (cedar stays) combined with metal...and trying to make it look like it was planned not just a reaction, which is mostly how I've felt since I realized I needed something to block this view, without ruining my side of the fence too much.

The highest part will have to be 12'...and can maybe lift the metal panels on that section, and cattle panel or some other opening below for air circ.

Wonder how much extra digging I'll have to do to anchor such tall sections.
Ayuh,.... I donno the expected wind loads on a 4x8 sheet out there, but it'll be rather High,...

Which of course means, yer gonna be diggin' deeper, than the roof support columns,...
I'd think 4 or 5',...

Did We decide in that thread, you've got digable soils,..??

To lessen the wind loads, 'n if yer an artistic type, a plasma cutter could turn yer panels into relief portraits,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,612
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default


With that much surface area and that tall with wind, I can see it possibly working by making the panels louvered but that would still be iffie and labor intensive. Better do a test panel and see if it's still upright in a few months.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 353
Rewards Points: 706
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... I donno the expected wind loads on a 4x8 sheet out there, but it'll be rather High,...

Which of course means, yer gonna be diggin' deeper, than the roof support columns,...
I'd think 4 or 5',...

Did We decide in that thread, you've got digable soils,..??

To lessen the wind loads, 'n if yer an artistic type, a plasma cutter could turn yer panels into relief portraits,...
Yes, I have great diggable soil, down to about 4 feet, which is the depth my auger will go. I have two huge 22' cedar tree gateposts I sunk in roadbase I think were about 3-4 feet, but they are not supporting any crosspieces.

Would like to hear more about a plasma cutter...this is a new thing to me...
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 353
Rewards Points: 706
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
With that much surface area and that tall with wind, I can see it possibly working by making the panels louvered but that would still be iffie and labor intensive. Better do a test panel and see if it's still upright in a few months.
What do you mean by louvered? I'ts possible I could use solid cedar poles for the tallest part, but I'd need about a 10 ft' stretch, maybe a little more. Would be nice to break it up. Saw some cool ideas for corrugated metal fences..one had two mountain shaped pieces cut out horizontally in the middle...so had a void with maybe a six inch opening between the two halves...looked like it would work to help with wind resistence. I think they used metal poles which I'd like to avoid messing with.
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,612
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default


With corrugated panels vertical your cut louvers would be vertical the length of the panels. I recommend a cross bar or 2 or 3 remaining for rigidity as seen in the picture. The louvers will allow air each direction N/S winds and greatly reduce the pressure.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 353
Rewards Points: 706
Default


Interesting! Could the louvers run the other way? I'm thinking of wanting vertical lines. I like the idea of cutting slots for air flow, but like you say, would have to consider how strong it could remain. I guess vertical is inherently less stiff?

And what are you using to cut this with?

Last edited by onjtrainee; 12-31-2014 at 10:58 AM.
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,612
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default


Yes, the louvers cut the length of the corrugations. It would be a nightmare attempting to bend them across corrugations.

Cutting-- you be on your own there.

If I were to do it here at the ranch all I have is a saws all and I suspect after 1 (one) that would be all I could tolerate.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 353
Rewards Points: 706
Default


I meant turning the panels so the corrugations were vertical, and would that weaken it more than leaving the panels horizontal?

That metal in the picture doesn't appear to be a do it yourselfer...

Last edited by onjtrainee; 12-31-2014 at 11:42 AM.
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,815
Rewards Points: 1,706
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by onjtrainee View Post
I meant turning the panels so the corrugations were vertical, and would that weaken it more than leaving the panels horizontal?

That metal in the picture doesn't appear to be a do it yourselfer...
Ayuh,... The only difference would be the leverage against the up-rights,...

Plasma cutters electronically cut the metal with a touch like unit, without impartin' so much heat into the panel, like O/ Ac does,...

Virtually no distortions in the surroundin' panel,..

Google it,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 353
Rewards Points: 706
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... The only difference would be the leverage against the up-rights,...

Plasma cutters electronically cut the metal with a touch like unit, without impartin' so much heat into the panel, like O/ Ac does,...

Virtually no distortions in the surroundin' panel,..

Google it,...
Yeah, I did. Saw a u-tube on it as well. Looks pretty amazing! Prices seem to range pretty dramatically. Some of the stock they were cutting was pretty thick, and I doubt I'd need anything that heavy duty.

What price neighborhood and do you have preference of kind? Saw a variety.
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,815
Rewards Points: 1,706
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by onjtrainee View Post
Yeah, I did. Saw a u-tube on it as well. Looks pretty amazing! Prices seem to range pretty dramatically. Some of the stock they were cutting was pretty thick, and I doubt I'd need anything that heavy duty.

What price neighborhood and do you have preference of kind? Saw a variety.
Ayuh,.... I don't have my Own unit, but a Miller is available to me,....

Basically, anything under a Grand is most likely a Chinese knock-off,...
The Quality machines from the Big two, Miller, or Lincoln,, run over a Grand,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 353
Rewards Points: 706
Default


Bondo~If I want to cut out corrugated metal, what's the least expensive tool I can buy/rent to do this?? Rather than large piece cut outs, I'm thinking eliptical patterns to let in light and air, but not much else.
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screws for Corrugated Metal Roofing PPBART Roofing/Siding 10 04-08-2014 07:28 PM
Corrugated Metal layout! Mel-Baum Building & Construction 56 04-27-2013 07:33 PM
Recommendations for roof type when reroof daluu Roofing/Siding 24 12-07-2012 03:23 PM
Replacing metal box caused issues rivers001 Electrical 28 03-07-2011 01:21 AM
Corrugated metal walls OtisDriftwood Building & Construction 1 01-24-2011 03:30 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts