Can't Get Tension Pin Out - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 584

Can't get tension pin out

Hi, I guess this is the only forum that applies to metal, so posting here.

I am trying to remove a tension pin that is completely stuck. Tried everything, tapping (broke my nail set), drilling just elongates the hole and doesn't cut through the pin.

Any ideas on how to get this stubborn thing out without further damage?

To make things more difficult, the center shaft with the pin is spring loaded and wants to retract into the sleeve. For the photo it's being held in a vise.

Thanks for any help

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,588

Re: Can't get tension pin out

You place a piece of pipe ( 1/4" if available ) on the anvil of the vise for the protruding portion of the roll pin to enter and support the shaft solid. Did I say solid support, yep, thought I did. Then you get a pin punch, that should have been used to begin with, the size of the hole minus a few thousandths and drive it out. There are special made pin punch sets available but I've never found them to be needed.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 144

Exactly.If you don't have a punch the correct size you might clamp some vise grips on the protruding end and heat with a torch.Twist and pull.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

OK, thanks for the advice. Once I get it out and go to pick up a replacement pin, am I looking for something that is just snug or something that takes more work to get in? And lastly, is there a decent way to put in the new pin without a special tool meant for that purpose?
Old 08-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 144

Those are roll pins .Measure the old one and get the same size.They should be tapped in with a hammer.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,606

Roll pins are made oversize, to fit snug in a standard size hole. So if the pin is in a bin that says 1/4" roll pins, it will be oversize but fit properly into a 1/4" drilled hole.
But that could be a metric pin. Bring the old one to check when you get the replacement.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,914

I'd grind that side that's all bent until it's flush with the shaft, then use the suggested drift pin punch.
I have a set of what's called transfer punches that I use on roll pins because they have a point in the center of the tip that keeps it in the middle of the pin.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 312

If you heat the solid iron the roll pin is in with your acetylene torch, it might help a bit. Your still gonna need to cut it off flush, and use a punch to get it out. Use a SOLID vise, not something crappy mounted to a wobbly wooden table. You don't want the wood to absorb the energy from the ball&peen hammer.
Power- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

I was able to get it out with a pin punch and a good vise mounted to a sturdy bench. The pin punch did actually bend in the process but I managed to bend it back without snapping it off and eventually got the pin out. Using the right tool for the right job did the trick. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement