Can I Make A Horse Shelter Without Welding? - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 07-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Can I Make a Horse Shelter Without Welding?

Hello,

I would like some advice related to a structure that I need to build, and I would like to build it out of metal. The structure will be to shelter horses and provide hay and tack storage. I would like the framing and roof to be metal, but I am not sure how to make it structurally sound.

While the structure can be modular, it needs to be L shaped. The long side will be 36' x 12' and will include a 12x24 loafing shed and the corner will be a 12x12 feed and tack room. Abutting the feed/tack area will be a 12x12 shelter, but that shelter needs only two walls and a roof.

I have already bought some Noble metal and wood stall panels on Craiglist, which I will use as the walls and dividers. I don't believe they need to be attached to the frame. I have attached a photo. To give you an idea of what a loafing shed is, I have attached a photo of a loafing shed by Noble Panels. I have also attached a photo of a 5 rail metal shelter which are quite common here. I would like a little more overhand.

Since I live in a temperate climate (California), the structure does not need walls like the loafing shed in the photo. It will be 10 feet on one side and 8 feet on the other. It does not snow where I live, so I don't have to worry about a snow load. It does get hot here. I want to have some insulation for the heat and possibly plywood sheeting to dampen the noise.

I want to build the structure on metal skids, which I assume will be part of the framing. And, in case I ever want to sell the structure, I would like to be able to disassemble it, but that is not a critical issue.

If anyone has suggestions or can point me to reference material, I would greatly appreciate it. If welding the structure is the way to go, how much would it cost to hire a welder?

Thanks
Attached Images

Grinchyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 100

Re: Can I Make a Horse Shelter Without Welding?

I have built several out of wood but not metal. You will need to line the walls up to 4 or 5 feet with solid 2X8s on the inside or the horses will destroy that metal, they can kick a hole in plywood with no trouble also. Don't use treated wood because the horses will chew on any wood they can get their mouth on, I have seen horses chew 4X4s in half. I had to line my supports with PVC to keep them from chewing them in half. Horses are funny creatures but can also be a pest when trying to work around them. They will chew the mirrors and trim off your truck if they can get to them.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 42

The only ones I have build are of wood also. When we had horses they nighted in a barn and we had 3-walled 'run-ins' ('loafing shed' ??) for day shelter.

You say that it gets hot in your area. If you have intense sun, the metal will absorb it, possibly to the point of being a hazard to the horses. If you are intent of building out of metal - galvanized I assume - I would go with tubing rather than stock with corners. I suppose everything could be bolted together but you would have to ensure that any fastener end that is exposed to the horses is not an injury hazard. If there is something for a horse to be injured by, they will find it.

Side panels should be wood and easy to replace. Horses can kick them out or even just push them by leaning against them. Metal panels can cause serious injury if they manage to kick through it. I'm not too sure how much good insulation would do on a open structure, and the horses might gnaw at it. We never had a horse that was a 'cribber' but even the best of them will gnaw when they are bored, stressed, etc.
BigJim likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,722

Quote:
To give you an idea of what a loafing shed is, I have attached a photo of a loafing shed by Noble Panels.
Ayuh,... Noble has already done the design, 'n engineerin',....

Just copy the way they've done it,....

Looks to set up, 'n tear down with nuts, 'n bolts,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement