Automatic Gate - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 297

Automatic Gate

I'm getting prices on having an automatic driveway gate installed at my residence/shop. I don't see a forum here related to automatic gates or even fences. Can anyone recommend a forum with knowledgeable people on this subject. The gate will be iron or aluminum with gate openers installed.

Thanks for any help.
Bob... is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,862

Re: Automatic Gate

Ayuh,...... So what are yer questions,..??
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob... View Post
I'm getting prices on...
If you're not doing the work yourself then the how to you need to focus on is picking the right contractor for the job. That'll mostly be local questions.

The questions related to specific materials, hardware, motors, controls and so forth are more in the 'design' end of things which points you toward the architect types who are also good sources of contractors suitable to the scale of the project... for a fee of course.

They'll also prepare a good set of drawings with specs and material lists that those contractors can bid off of so you can be more certain of an "apples to apples" comparison between the contractors.

hth

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 09-16-2019 at 12:03 PM.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,456

I built my own gate at my old house to keep my dog in the yard.

It was manual open and close (kind of a PITA) but it worked for 10 years. the gate is still there to this day.

My gate was 11' long x 4' high made of wood (to match the existing fence) with one wheel on the end. I found 5" pnuematic wheels worked best however they never lasted more than a year.

I bought the mounting hardware from tractor supply... to mount the gate to the post I installed. (not your typical hinges)

Now as far as openers, the biggest name in the industry for residential/light commercial use is mighty mule, and they have kits you can buy, and install yourself.

And from my research theyre also the best.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #5

Apologies for the late return...I'm in my busiest season at present and on the run.

I've gotten 4 bids on the job. All were within a few hundred of each other except one, who was roughly the same price excluding the gate openers.

The double gate will be roughly 11' wide, and all contractors bid the same opener...the LA 4000 LiftMaster, which seems to be very well reviewed.

A few of the contractors I've received bids from were referred by reputable parties.
As mentioned, I'm in my busy season and haven't decided on the contractor yet. There is some concrete work involved that I'm a bit concerned about and my call the 'front runner' back to discuss.

Thanks for your comments. Any other pertinent info appreciated. I'll update with any new developments.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 580

Most gates today are battery operated. The power going to the gate is minimal since it only trickle charges the battery. Solar can also be use to charge the battery.
Let it Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Let it Snow For This Useful Post:
Bob... (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #7

Additional apologies for the delay. I don't know why I'm not getting email notifications. I'll place a bookmark to this thread on my toolbar and just check back.

At any rate, I decided to go with a referral from a reputable party, but it isn't working out too well for various reasons. They did come and remove the existing gate and set the posts yesterday, but today noticed that the posts aren't aligned.

I feel like I need to tread lightly with the guy (information surface that some of his customers have had unresolved issues). I gave him a 60% deposit, so I'm kind of 'all in' at this point. The posts are about 4" out of alignment (to each other). The one that's too far out is concreted into the driveway. The other side is concreted into dirt next to the house, but there's a water line there (they hit it with the jack hammer yesterday).

I'd almost ask for at least part of my deposit back, but he seems to operate on a shoestring and I may not get it back. I'm invested here, so the best course of action may be to remain reasonable and try to work with the guy to correct the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to best correct this post alignment issue? Obviously, one of the posts will require moving. I'm thinking the one sunk into the driveway (next to french drain/fence). It's the one that's furthest out and the other post is even with the house). But how difficult will it be to get the 'french drain' post out. Any pointers as to how best to do it?

Here are a few images that may help. The green arrows indicate the water line.:
Automatic Gate-posts_sidebyside.jpg

Automatic Gate-posts_wtrline.jpg
Old 11-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I built my own gate at my old house to keep my dog in the yard.

It was manual open and close (kind of a PITA) but it worked for 10 years. the gate is still there to this day.

My gate was 11' long x 4' high made of wood (to match the existing fence) with one wheel on the end. I found 5" pnuematic wheels worked best however they never lasted more than a year.

I bought the mounting hardware from tractor supply... to mount the gate to the post I installed. (not your typical hinges)

Now as far as openers, the biggest name in the industry for residential/light commercial use is mighty mule, and they have kits you can buy, and install yourself.

And from my research theyre also the best.

I did look at those, but the 'opener' recommended by all 4 contractors was the LiftMaster LA400.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #9

I've had a bit of time to think it over. I ran a string to determine the offset between the two posts. The one sunk into the driveway concrete is 2 3/4" too far forward. I have an idea that will remove the offset without removing the post, but first, I'm wondering if the offset matters (other than cosmetic) using barrel hinges:

Automatic Gate-gate-hinge.jpg

If the gates are able to properly close and meet each other 'straight', I might let it go.

Method 2:
I could get another 4" post, jackhammer the concrete out directly behind the misaligned post, pour and place the new post (a foot or so deep) directly against (behind) the forward post, clamping both ways to line up the posts, then weld the posts together at the seams. The hinge would likely end up on the seam. If so, I could weld a back plate before placing the hinge.

Of course, it would be cheaper and easier if the hinges allowed proper mating.

Opinions?

Last edited by Bob...; 11-20-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Unread 01-09-2020, 11:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,048

I'm not sure why you started asking questions. You went ahead and did what you wanted anyway. As far as alignment goes, the gates will still meet in the middle as they should. Barrel hinges have no "stops" so as long as the openers are adjusted correctly it will work. If you got local references then that is all you can go on. If you wanted to do the project yourself you could have gotten help here.
I hope things turn out OK.
Unread Today, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
I'm not sure why you started asking questions. You went ahead and did what you wanted anyway. As far as alignment goes, the gates will still meet in the middle as they should. Barrel hinges have no "stops" so as long as the openers are adjusted correctly it will work. If you got local references then that is all you can go on. If you wanted to do the project yourself you could have gotten help here.
I hope things turn out OK.

Huh? How did you arrive at that conclusion??

As to the gate, I fired the guy who started the job and have moved onto another (who took some time to find). He came Thursday afternoon and pulled the misaligned post and will come back Monday to set it in the correct position and take measurements to build the gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement