Alrighty,.... I Love Workin' With Metal,.... - Metal Fabrication - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pickering Ontario Canada
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 38
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
This is not exactly fabrication, but I think its cool just the same. Check it out -- its an aluminum sphere, trapped in an aluminum cube. You will have to think long and hard to figure out how I made it. Cube is 2"x2"x2".
I think you can make it with a four jaw chuck and a lathe with a little fixturing towards the end. I would have to lay it out to see if it is entirely possible on a lathe but it appears to be.

Nice job however it is done.
techie1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 4,307
Rewards Points: 7,534
Default


Bingo. We have a winner.

Cut a radius on a tool bit, turn the cross-slide to an angle, and feed the bit in through the hole that was roughed into the cube.

A machinist showed me about 25 years ago the one he made, and I remember it vividly to this day. Apparently, in the old days, apprentice machinists had to figure out how to make it, and then make it. I had the advantage of Google to figure out how to make it, and 3D CAD to test if I had the geometry right. Made it in my basement on some pretty cheap tools. I ground the toolbit on my pedestal grinder, using a round knob as the pattern. Chatterred like a bugger while at the deeper cuts. My buddy is a machinist and I get under his skin by pointing out that I can make one, but he can't --- I won't tell him how I made it.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pickering Ontario Canada
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 38
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Bingo. We have a winner.

Cut a radius on a tool bit, turn the cross-slide to an angle, and feed the bit in through the hole that was roughed into the cube.

A machinist showed me about 25 years ago the one he made, and I remember it vividly to this day. Apparently, in the old days, apprentice machinists had to figure out how to make it, and then make it. I had the advantage of Google to figure out how to make it, and 3D CAD to test if I had the geometry right. Made it in my basement on some pretty cheap tools. I ground the toolbit on my pedestal grinder, using a round knob as the pattern. Chatterred like a bugger while at the deeper cuts. My buddy is a machinist and I get under his skin by pointing out that I can make one, but he can't --- I won't tell him how I made it.
I suppose that I cheated a bit. I am a tool and die maker so it wasn't too much of a challenge to figure out (as opposed to some here that are not machinists). I am surprised that your buddy can't though. I've never seen one but they are a nice little piece to have. Great conversation starter.
techie1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: west of chicago
Posts: 468
Rewards Points: 422
Default


That's pretty cool ...never seen one heh heh
One die shop I worked at one of the fellas EDM'd up a square I.D. nut.
I felt obligated to machine up a 5 headed bolt for it. heh heh
Oh gosh ... more than a few coins where turned into 2 headed ones over the years among other things.

Welding advice ...Hmmm .....Oh Yeah..

oxyacetylene and balloons don't mix.

( still have all my hearing .....shouldn't have)
__________________
the handyman's secret weapon, duct tape
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,878
Rewards Points: 1,756
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
That's pretty cool ...never seen one heh heh
One die shop I worked at one of the fellas EDM'd up a square I.D. nut.
I felt obligated to machine up a 5 headed bolt for it. heh heh
Oh gosh ... more than a few coins where turned into 2 headed ones over the years among other things.

Welding advice ...Hmmm .....Oh Yeah..

oxyacetylene and balloons don't mix.

( still have all my hearing .....shouldn't have)
Years ago, -okay decades ago, we used to guess at a good oxygen/acetylene mix at the valves, and use the gas coming out of the tip to fill a plastic bread bag. Then close the bread bag with an old spark plug and a twist tie. Sneak out to the parking lot and stick it onto your buddy's car engine, just pick whichever plug wire is easiest to get at.

This is of course in the days before inside hood releases became standard.

No damage, but a real surprise.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Oglesby,Illinois
Posts: 135
Rewards Points: 270
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
Seems to me you could make more in retirement by welding then by delivering newspapers.
I have a couple things every year that I throw away because taking them to a welding shop is just too expensive. If someone local were doing it at a reasonable price.
A couple years ago I put a broken snow blower on CL. A guy offered to fix it for $15. Incredible bargain, a repair shop would have been $75, yet it probably took him 15 minutes. That sort of thing.
Hee Hee-the paper route gets me out of the house[and away from my crippled girlfriend] and into the country side for a few hours. I usually have a side job in the garage to work on-last one paid 1k [cash]..
You're absolutely right though,I wouldn't advise anybody to take on a paper route for "extra money"
flhtcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #22
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 4,081
Rewards Points: 1,326
Default


Metal fab forum. Cool.
I didn't see it til today.

Been working with stainless sheet metal for 35 years.
Built the chassis for my hot rod from stainless even although I'm on the fence about actually driving it. May have to start from scratch with mild steel.
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #23
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,632
Rewards Points: 1,342
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Metal fab forum. Cool.
I didn't see it til today.

Been working with stainless sheet metal for 35 years.
Built the chassis for my hot rod from stainless even although I'm on the fence about actually driving it. May have to start from scratch with mild steel.
Ayuh,.... Where's the Pictures of it,..??

SSteel is funny stuff to work with,....
Easy to weld, a bytch to cut,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #24
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 4,081
Rewards Points: 1,326
Default


Here you go........
Attached Thumbnails
Alrighty,....    I love workin' with metal,....-img_2146-medium-.jpg   Alrighty,....    I love workin' with metal,....-img_2149-medium-.jpg   Alrighty,....    I love workin' with metal,....-img_2153-medium-.jpg   Alrighty,....    I love workin' with metal,....-img_2167-medium-.jpg  
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (01-15-2015), kwikfishron (01-15-2015), rustyjames (01-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metal Edging and Odd Connection Point on Wall cloves Tiling, ceramics, marble 4 06-21-2014 04:34 PM
Why can't you connect Ground/Neutral bus bars on a sub secutanudu Electrical 42 11-07-2012 01:33 PM
Replacing metal box caused issues rivers001 Electrical 28 03-07-2011 12:21 AM
Exposed sheet metal questions ohman Roofing/Siding 6 12-31-2010 10:46 AM
Problen with hanging heavy draperies in sheetrock metal studs wall. Fixitgeorge Remodeling 1 04-11-2009 01:03 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts