Alrighty,.... I Love Workin' With Metal,.... - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Alrighty,.... I love workin' with metal,....

Ayuh,.... Bein' a Weldin' type of fella, I'm glad to see this new forum,...

Bring it on,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-08-2014), Cricket (12-08-2014), DexterII (12-08-2014), r0ckstarr (12-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,854

Maybe you can post a few welding pointers, to help get the forum started.

And to help me. LOL
Cricket (12-08-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 202

Yup, a great addition to the site! I'm old school, so no mig yet, although I have used them and think about one every once in a while, but do arc weld and oxygen/acetylene cut, weld, and braze. My favorite tool in this arena though is my old but reliable South Bend lathe. A great companion some evenings when I want to think a little but not too much. Chuck up the piece, tool it up, engage the clutch, and watch it do it's thing while I sit on a stool and relax. Can't do that with a table saw.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Yup, a great addition to the site! I'm old school, so no mig yet, although I have used them and think about one every once in a while, but do arc weld and oxygen/acetylene cut, weld, and braze. My favorite tool in this arena though is my old but reliable South Bend lathe. A great companion some evenings when I want to think a little but not too much. Chuck up the piece, tool it up, engage the clutch, and watch it do it's thing while I sit on a stool and relax. Can't do that with a table saw.
Ayuh,.... I W i s h I had an engine lathe, like the ole South Bends in high school shop,...

But I do have a stick welder, 'n several migs,...
The "Blue-tip Wrenches" ride on my pickup,...

I ain't found much I can't weld,.... results do vary,...

Just a few shots of things done,...
The pumphouse at the Chemo Pond Maine Lodge,.....

It's made outa the end caps of 1000 gal. propane tanks I built a Barge outa,...
The rollin' dock in the background was built here in sections, loaded onto my truck, 'n assembled there too,...
Great project, but wrong materials,... used Free black iron pipe, shoulda held out for steel conduit,..

Probably oughta show the Barge,...
I wasn't the only Welder, but did weld alot, 'n was the "Navel Architect" on the design, 'n build,...

Probably the project that's "Paid Off" the Best is my home made outdoor wood boiler,...
I ain't bought a drop of heatin' oil in Years now,....
From a propane tank inside an industrial water softener tank,...

To the finished, workin' unit,...

Every bit of it dumpster finds, except some of the controls, 'n pumps,...

Last edited by Bondo; 12-08-2014 at 04:26 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-17-2014), r0ckstarr (12-14-2014), TheEplumber (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #5

A few years ago, I needed new stairs down to the waterfront at the rental house,...
Scrounged 'round a few dumpsters, 'n found these drops, 'bout 7" wide,...
Perfect,...
Them, 'n some salvaged rebar, I welded up the formin'/ framin', built a sluice, 'n mixed the concrete I needed,.....
Backfilled my steel work with concrete, 'n I think I've got a 100 year stairway,...

The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 996

i do metal fab. i have a MILLER DYNASTY 200DX, a small mig, torches, a small metal lathe/mill, and the other tools needed for metal fab. but, my rehabing this house, i don't have much time for it.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 114

I was wondering how new this was!

I love working with steel heavy and light. We have a couple of mig welders and one dinosaur of a arc I'll be the first to admit I can not arch weld to save my life.

No mills or lathes. I took a lot of machine tool in high school. It was about the time CNC started getting popular.

My son likes it too!

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (12-13-2014), SeniorSitizen (12-17-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
Horse Whisperer

Rewards Points: 180

Cool Stuff

Love the stuff posted. Was hoping to have some fun looking at all the creations that people make but I see this is a new forum -- cool addition to the DIY btw. I'm not the welder, but just about all the guys around the farm do and always have worked with metal/iron in some form or another. I sure wish I had a pic of the mailbox we created. In the country one of the hazards of having a mailbox is a young kid in a combine will take it out during harvest -- it is a given. You either put in a movable mailbox or, put in something they know will cause major damage to those 1/2 million dollar machines. They respect that

The first one was created by welding an old tire rim with a metal mailbox atop. You could tilt it slightly and roll it back into place after they hit it. The metal mailbox started looking rough after years of combine encounters so it was time for a new one. The second one was an obvious "don't hit it because your combine will not win this match " mailbox. We took two big old steel rims we had from the horse farming days, a steel tractor seat and steel steering wheel and created a cool, funky looking tractor mail box. That mailbox was huge -- had to put a new culvert in when we set it in place. We decided to sell it 10 or 15 years ago, and sorry we did.

I look forward to seeing all the creative cool things people make.
tbeck3579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 270

Looks like not a lot of welders here! Bondo,I love the bobber!! Being in autobody,I've welded all my adult life,but mostly sheet metal.
I've had mig welders for so long,I don't know if I could handle a stick any more! Maybe I'm simple minded,but it just always amazes me that I can actually melt steel and stick 2 pieces of it together!
Right now,I'm doing a rural paper route to supplement my social security.A few weeks ago I luckily made it home with a cracked[from rust] rear axle on my route car-a '93 Grand Am.[right rear tire laying in against the shock absorber] A come-along,a porta -power,and my mig put the car back together.Most people probably would have junked the car.
flhtcu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flhtcu For This Useful Post:
1985gt (12-18-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtcu View Post
Looks like not a lot of welders here! Bondo,I love the bobber!! Being in autobody,I've welded all my adult life,but mostly sheet metal.
I've had mig welders for so long,I don't know if I could handle a stick any more! Maybe I'm simple minded,but it just always amazes me that I can actually melt steel and stick 2 pieces of it together!
Right now,I'm doing a rural paper route to supplement my social security.A few weeks ago I luckily made it home with a cracked[from rust] rear axle on my route car-a '93 Grand Am.[right rear tire laying in against the shock absorber] A come-along,a porta -power,and my mig put the car back together.Most people probably would have junked the car.
Seems to me you could make more in retirement by welding then by delivering newspapers.
I have a couple things every year that I throw away because taking them to a welding shop is just too expensive. If someone local were doing it at a reasonable price.
A couple years ago I put a broken snow blower on CL. A guy offered to fix it for $15. Incredible bargain, a repair shop would have been $75, yet it probably took him 15 minutes. That sort of thing.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 7,548

This is not exactly fabrication, but I think its cool just the same. Check it out -- its an aluminum sphere, trapped in an aluminum cube. You will have to think long and hard to figure out how I made it. Cube is 2"x2"x2".
Attached Thumbnails
Alrighty,....    I love workin' with metal,....-cube-1-25.jpg   Alrighty,....    I love workin' with metal,....-cube-2-25.jpg  
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,510

With the expansion / contraction of Al being what it is, the ball was frozen while the cube was expanded and the ball dropped in never to return.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
Plumber

Rewards Points: 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
With the expansion / contraction of Al being what it is, the ball was frozen while the cube was expanded and the ball dropped in never to return.
I've seen backhoe suspension parts assembled this way using dry ice- to far from a garage or mobile mech.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,654

The way some wrist pins are installed in the rods and pistons of an engine, is to heat the rod, cool the wrist pin and it will slide right in and lock, but you got to be quick.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-27-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 7,548

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post

No. A 200 degree F temperature difference will change the size of the sphere/hole about .003-004". The sphere is about a quarter inch bigger than the hole.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement