Adding Holes To A Burn Barrel - How To ? - Metal Fabrication - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Metal Fabrication

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes

Old 11-10-2018, 07:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 640

adding holes to a burn barrel - how to ?

My first time with a burn barrel , I have a barrel but need to remove the top and add holes for good ventilation . Any tips on cutting the top off and adding the holes ? Do you drill the holes or punch them ? What do you punch them with ? And what about cutting out a hole or rectangle in the bottom and add a screen of some sort for ashes to fall through ? I am planning on raising the barrel on a few bricks for additional air flow at the bottom .
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 512

Re: adding holes to a burn barrel - how to ?

It depends on the type of barrel you have. If it's a sealed barrel I turn it upside down and cut the bottom out, that way I can use the bung holes for vents. Otherwise a torch, drill or even bullets work well. If you can cover the top of the burn barrel when not in use the inside will stay dry and it will take longer for the barrel to rust out.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,152

For about 40 years it's been like this here at the ranch. A 55 gallon drum with - both ends cut out - with a sharp cold chisel and set on 3 bricks spaced about equi-distant apart. With a little skill and not hitting a finger to add cussin time, cutting takes about 5 - 10 minutes.
When it's all over the wind blows the ashes away.
A few things I recommend. 1) Never attempt burn anything except wood/paper products and I don't even burn slick paper. Don't like the way it burns. 2) be aware of weather conditions and never burn in winter, when vegetation may be dormant, when there is wind and no dew on the vegetation.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #4

Haha I didn't think of bullets that would be fun . Yes it is a sealed barrel it originally had motor oil in it . Good tip on covering the open top to minimize water getting in . And I do have oxy/acetelyne cutting torch so could go that route also but what's not to like about using firearm as the go to tool ? Next question ........ 357 magnum or 40 cal ?
Nealtw likes this.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,728

Be sure local codes do not restrict burning. Even a covered burn barrel around here needs a fire permit.

A hole in the bottom might risk hot ashes falling out and being carried with the wind.

I'm in a small town but they have been pressured by state requirements to effectively eliminate ANY burning. That paper they require one to sign that shifts all responsibility and cost for any related fire pretty much ended the DIY trash elimination.

Bud
Old 11-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 432

I do a modification. Take both ends off the barrel, set a Budd wheel (from junk yard) on 3 bricks and set the barrel on the wheel (bevel up). It fits perfectly. The holes in the Budd wheel help keep the wood and paper in the barrel but allow the ashes to fall through.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,732

Cut the top out with whatever you have, Chisel, torch, jigsaw with metal cutting blade, hatchet, grinder, whatever cuts the steel.

Then use a pickaxe to pierce the bottom with the pointed side of the pick, or a wood ax, or the 357, or drill, or torch, or whatever.

After cutting the top as neatly as possible, get an old tire saw it in half around the treads, and bolt the tire to the lid around the rim.

Now you have a usable lid to prevent rain, snow and weather from rusting it early, and the lid is darn near windproof, it won't blow away.

Never thought about the Budd wheel idea, I like it, and will keep it in mind.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #8

After a couple of years of hot incinerator temperatures because of the strong draft, the barrel needs to be turned over, the holes have automatically appeared. 2 more years and I see it's about time for a new barrel. I know of one that was converted to a charcoal grill for big cook outs. About a dozen burgers could be cooked in about 10 minutes and the guy could turn all of then with his folding grate.
Attached Images

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 11-11-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,002

Burning Barrels... ugh.. we did that 30 years ago.

Do you have trash pickup? Why not just throw everything together and let them take it to the landfill.
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche986S View Post
Next question ........ 357 magnum or 40 cal ?
I use a .22. You don't want the barrel to look like swiss cheese.

I shoot a few holes in the bottom as well for drainage. Don't shoot the bottom with the bottom facing you, shoot the bottom through the open top.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #11

Smolder time mostly depends on the available air. I don't care for any prolonged smoldering. With a good draft and dry limbs, paper etc. it's usually all over in less than 10 minutes.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:59 AM   #12
retired painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryMac View Post
Burning Barrels... ugh.. we did that 30 years ago.

Do you have trash pickup? Why not just throw everything together and let them take it to the landfill.

While trash pick up is available, it's not very convenient for me. My driveway is a little over a quarter mile long and the only place I could set a trash can is in my driveway .... and then after the trash man came I'd have to drag the can back up top. Burning along with recycling is so much easier!

30 yrs ago I had trash pick up but back then I lived on flat land and not in the mountains
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #13

Yes we do have trash pick up but I am not burning trash , my intent is to mainly get rid of scrap lumber from various projects . I have 3 large garbage cans and a wheelbarrow full of cut offs of 2x , plywood and various trim . Because we are required to have our garbage " bagged " it would take quite a while to dispose of that way . I feel more comfortable burning it .
Old 11-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,732

A wood burning stove, in the shop will take care of any scraps, and heat your workspace in winter also.

May be an option, besides wasting the fuel.

ED
mark sr likes this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #15
retired painter

I have a wood stove in my shop and that is where most of my scrap wood goes.
de-nagorg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement