Need Help Cleaning Up My Living Room - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 208

Need help cleaning up my living room

I just installed a new tv and cabinets. The cabinets float and I did install a junction box from behind the tv to below the cabinets, but because they float and there is a lot of space below it still looks like a mess. It's still work in progress, but looking for suggestion on how to best cleanup the area so it looks nice and clean.

Should I try and add something below the cabinets and run everything in a tube or maybe even make a long square 2"x2" box and hide all the cables in that under the cabinet?

Another idea i'm playing with is making a false wall and just mount that from the floor to the cabinet so you never see anything. The only problem with that is my HTPC is huge and doesn't fit inside the cabinet nor does my sub off to the left so not sure what I would do with those.

LGHTme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Re: Need help cleaning up my living room

What I did...

This part might not apply if youre not doing in-wall speakers. In-wall center channel (Below TV between studs) determines where TV mounts (Centered with TV), TV diminutions determines placement of right and left speakers, along with studs. Since I already had a 10" Polk floor subwoofer I purchased an in-wall 10" sub speaker and used the Polks amp to power it.

HTPC (Headless + running ServerWMC) now sits inside of cabinet in another room, still handles all TV recordings and movies. @ TV's I've been using Raspberry Pi's running LibreELEC/Kodi & PVR client.

I like the cabinets, they're perfect for hiding game consoles and their accessories. Also like the idea of the false wall below, doesn't need to be too deep, maybe with sliding doors...
Nobr8ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobr8ks View Post
What I did...

This part might not apply if youre not doing in-wall speakers. In-wall center channel (Below TV between studs) determines where TV mounts (Centered with TV), TV diminutions determines placement of right and left speakers, along with studs. Since I already had a 10" Polk floor subwoofer I purchased an in-wall 10" sub speaker and used the Polks amp to power it.

HTPC (Headless + running ServerWMC) now sits inside of cabinet in another room, still handles all TV recordings and movies. @ TV's I've been using Raspberry Pi's running LibreELEC/Kodi & PVR client.

I like the cabinets, they're perfect for hiding game consoles and their accessories. Also like the idea of the false wall below, doesn't need to be too deep, maybe with sliding doors...
Yeah I do plan on wall mounting all my bose cubes. You can see the 3 on top of the cabinet in the image. Since the space on the wall used to be a fireplace that was filled in it's more or less hollow behind the wall so I'm going to cut small holes just big enough for speaker wire and fish them to the junction box behind the tv and then down to the sub under the cabinet.

The problem is my power outlets and power strip to connect all my devices (I have a ps3, ps4, wii, xbox 360, htpc, router, amp, sub,) all plugged into power below the cabinets so when you sit down you see a huge spaghetti factory of wires which ruins the look. I think my only real option is to cut a false wall and just hide everything behind that. I like the idea of sliding doors since I will need access to the PC every once and a while, but everything else is hidden in the cabinets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #4

Instead of multiple sliding doors, maybe one door using piano hinge, tilt up or drop down.

Any thoughts of adding second TV (Side by side) ?

Be cool if you could add some flush mount LED lighting below cabinets too as accent lighting.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,386

Its a little late now. But If I were going for that sort of look, maybe base cabinets with a counter top. If you need a ledge for leg room could have used a wider top than the base cabinet. Like a on a breakfast bar.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Instead of multiple sliding doors, maybe one door using piano hinge, tilt up or drop down.

Any thoughts of adding second TV (Side by side) ?

Be cool if you could add some flush mount LED lighting below cabinets too as accent lighting.
I thought about lights, but the best setups didn't have a flat wall they had a panel / wall in front of the wall and did everything on that so it's almost a 3d look. I can still add lights behind the TV since it's a 65" and there is a ton of space, but I have decided. yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Its a little late now. But If I were going for that sort of look, maybe base cabinets with a counter top. If you need a ledge for leg room could have used a wider top than the base cabinet. Like a on a breakfast bar.
They sale glass and a gloss white or black that I can still add to it. I may do black, but not sure just yet. I wanted to keep it modern so I definitely didn't want to do wood unless it was a gray stained texture to match the walls and flooring.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #7

Dark glass would look good, and serve a purpose (Just noticed seam), ties into black frame around tv too...

Can an Intel NUC replace that large HTPC? (Unless you're also gaming with it?)

Guessing those cubes are also plugged into subs amp?
Old 12-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Dark glass would look good, and serve a purpose (Just noticed seam), ties into black frame around tv too...

Can an Intel NUC replace that large HTPC? (Unless you're also gaming with it?)
Guessing those cubes are also plugged into subs amp?
The seam isn't that bad it's the cabinet doors that I need to adjust, but after 30 minutes I couldn't figure out how the 3 screws work and could never get it straight. I may still add the top black glass, but I wanted to see how it would look first.

I actually have a old i3 NUC in the other room room, but that box is my media server and as a result has about 20TB of data. The bose sub is off to the left and the amp is in the cabinet.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #9

So what you're saying is you really don"t need an HTPC underneath the cabinets.
But you're hesitant because your other nerd friends have them.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #10

Quote:
So what you're saying is you really don"t need an HTPC underneath the cabinets.
But you're hesitant because your other nerd friends have them.
Actually I need it I just don't need it in the living room. Most of my media is on that server and I can't toss it. I could move it to another room and connect it via wireless, but the wife already shut me down on another "nuc" for the living room.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHTme View Post
Actually I need it I just don't need it in the living room. Most of my media is on that server and I can't toss it. I could move it to another room and connect it via wireless, but the wife already shut me down on another "nuc" for the living room.
Have you played around with any Pi's ? They're wife friendly @ $40.00

You can also nerd out on Raspbian or RetroPie if Kodi doesn't provide enough geekness
Old 12-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
Challenge Everything!

Rewards Points: 499

Quote:
Yeah I do plan on wall mounting all my bose cubes
Please don't ruin that System with Bose Speakers.
Any decent In-wall Speaker starting at $50/pair will out-perform the Bose Crap.
Deja-vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement