Help...I Am Dumb As A Rock About Streaming - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cedrus

Old 09-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 576

Help...I am dumb as a rock about streaming

DirecTV is messing with me regarding NFL Sunday Ticket. There are two local channels that are fussing with somebody about $$ or contracts or something....and are not available now: Local Fox and CBS...they show the SF 49er games I crave.

Don't want to watch anything via a computer. It must be in my recliner with a adult beverage handy. No cable TV in our rural area. How can I stream the 49'ers to our 46 inch Samsung, about 5 y/o and not sure if it is a smart TV or not.

TIA
Bud9051 likes this.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,302

Re: Help...I am dumb as a rock about streaming

With a VGA cable from the computer to the TV usually. It makes the TV a monitor. You may have to do a manual switch at f4, but it works. Streaming also works on Netflix, Amazon and a host of other media. You just need an account and pay monthly

If both your TV and computer have HDMI ports, you can do it with an HDMI cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
adam

Rewards Points: 144

If you get a Chromecast and connect it to your TV set, you can stream from your computer to the TV set using a Chrome browser easily.

https://www.nfl.com/ways-to-watch

BTW, what's the model number of your Samsung TV set? That's how you can determine if it's a smart TV.

Last edited by adamz; 09-09-2019 at 05:16 PM.
adamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedrus View Post
Don't want to watch anything via a computer. It must be in my recliner with a adult beverage handy.
That's why my computer is in the living room and the recliner, connected to my TV.

It's your best option. Like the previous posters mentioned.

Cheers!
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 408

most laptops made in the last 10 years have hdmi out. easiest thing you can do is hook a laptop up to a tv.

streaming devices have limits and if the company goes out of business or drops support the device can become useless.
I am not in the business of any trade or topic I give advice on. I have previous diy experience plus good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,003

Quote:
Local Fox and CBS...they show the SF 49er games I crave.

TIA

How far away are the transmitters for those stations? You might be able to pull a good off the air signal with nothing more than a coat hanger and a 300 to 75 ohm converter. You will have to rescan your TV to find the channels.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
How far away are the transmitters for those stations? You might be able to pull a good off the air signal with nothing more than a coat hanger and a 300 to 75 ohm converter. You will have to rescan your TV to find the channels.
Most have gone digital, so you'll need a converter if the TV doesn't support it. Most digital settled on UHF instead of VHF, so the antenna is different. (they are super cheap though. ($20-40) The old large antennas on towers that everyone used to have will get UHF, so if you still have one, you're in luck.

(most of VHF was sold off in the last few auctions to cell phone companies in the US and Canada.)

Cheers!

Last edited by supers05; 09-10-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 7,003

5 year old TV almost has to be a digital turner.

UHF is far easier to pull in than VHF and I am pulling in one station from 47 miles away with a 10" loop of copper wire attached to 300 to 75 ohm converter.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 576

We are in a valley and our home is heavily wooded. 26 miles to transmitter. DirecTV sent us a Local Channel Connector which is a black 1x1 panel with cables and connections. They told me before they sent it... it would not work in our situation.

Right now, I found a workaround. DirecTV will show the 49er game on their split 4 screen setup. If I click on the blue frame to select....it goes to the " not available in your area" message. So, I leave it alone....I sit far back and pull out my close focus binocs. It fill out perfect, no other game intrude. Problem is...no sound. But I can live with that.

I will ask local knowledgeable people about the suggestions you have made.

Thank you....
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #10
adam

Rewards Points: 144

Lol on the binocs.

Hopefully DirecTV resolves the local channel dispute soon.
adamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
5 year old TV almost has to be a digital turner.

UHF is far easier to pull in than VHF and I am pulling in one station from 47 miles away with a 10" loop of copper wire attached to 300 to 75 ohm converter.
Depends on when it was actually made, not when it was sold.

Cheers!
Old 09-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #12

Quote:
We are in a valley and our home is heavily wooded. 26 miles to transmitter. DirecTV sent us a Local Channel Connector which is a black 1x1 panel with cables and connections. They told me before they sent it... it would not work in our situation.

Right now, I found a workaround. DirecTV will show the 49er game on their split 4 screen setup. If I click on the blue frame to select....it goes to the " not available in your area" message. So, I leave it alone....I sit far back and pull out my close focus binocs. It fill out perfect, no other game intrude. Problem is...no sound. But I can live with that.

I will ask local knowledgeable people about the suggestions you have made.

Thank you....
Even so, you may so be able to pick it up. We pick up stuff from buffalo with basic antennas. (about 70-90 miles away.)

Cheers!
Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,758

Quote:
Don't want to watch anything via a computer. It must be in my recliner with a adult beverage handy. How can I stream the 49'ers to our 46 inch Samsung, about 5 y/o and not sure if it is a smart TV or not.

TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
That's why my computer is in the living room and the recliner, connected to my TV.

It's your best option. Like the previous posters mentioned.

Cheers!
My recliner is about 10' behind me. my main display is a 4k 50" smart tv.

my other 2, are 4K 43's...

I often watch live events via youtube, and movies and such in my recliner... and my sound system has a remote so I can control the volume from my recliner. while enjoying an adult beverage ofcourse.

This idea that you must have a desk, and one - two tiny monitors, with an uncomfy chair is so 2005.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement