Existing Ceiling 6 Speaker Setup - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By diyorpay

Old 06-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 294

existing ceiling 6 speaker setup

just moved into a house, the den is setup with 6 ceiling speakers in 2 rows of 3.

i have a 7.2 receiver denon avr-s710w

I was thinking to do this setup

#1 Front Left
#2 Center
#3 Front Right
#4 Surround Left
#5 - do not connect to zone 1
#6 Surround Right

should i see if i can switch out #5 with an in ceiling subwoofer, or just use #5 to connect with my multi-room receiver so its not a wasted speaker.

should i get a subwoofer and just put it where my receiver is since i am way past running wires in the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
existing ceiling 6 speaker setup-image0.jpeg  
moneymm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,092

Re: existing ceiling 6 speaker setup

Read your manual about Atmos.
Use a powered sub, position near receiver. If wall facing type, aim at wall, preferably in a corner.
Dave Sal likes this.

Last edited by diyorpay; 06-29-2020 at 10:25 AM.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 646

I don't think your plan will sound very good. You want the dialogue to sound like it's coming from the display, not the ceiling. The preferred arrangement is to have the main speakers at ear level aimed towards the listening position. The rear surrounds can be a bit higher. I'd only use ceiling speakers for height channels in a Dolby Atmos setup.

https://www.dolby.com/about/support/...speaker-setup/
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
I don't think your plan will sound very good. You want the dialogue to sound like it's coming from the display, not the ceiling. The preferred arrangement is to have the main speakers at ear level aimed towards the listening position. The rear surrounds can be a bit higher. I'd only use ceiling speakers for height channels in a Dolby Atmos setup.

https://www.dolby.com/about/support/...speaker-setup/
i had it running the past week or so and it has been good, at first i doubled up the front center and rear center and put them in the center output, and it wasnt very good, b/c the speaking was coming right over our head instead of from the TV. now with that removed, it works pretty well.

they are in the ceiling, we moved in and painted and are done with that kind of work, no way i am taking out these speakers. if they dont work out i will just stop using them and get a wireless theater system, but i am just trying to make the best out of what is already here.

so for a subwoofer, would this work, and just put it on top of the furniture that holds the receivers?
Old 06-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 646

I hate to be negative but a subwoofer in a ceiling sounds like a terrible idea. First, it will rattle the drywall and probably resonate the whole ceiling. A sub should be installed on a hard surface if possible, such as a concrete floor, in order to prevent this. Placing a sub in a corner, referred to as corner loading, also reinforces bass output if you have a smaller sub or are looking for extra bass output.

I would definitely be happy if I had ceiling speakers in my new home, but I'd use them properly, for height speakers, and possibly for rear surround duties. For the main left / right and center channels I'd get regular floor standing speakers or maybe bookshelf speakers mounted on stands and placed appropriately.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
I hate to be negative but a subwoofer in a ceiling sounds like a terrible idea. First, it will rattle the drywall and probably resonate the whole ceiling. A sub should be installed on a hard surface if possible, such as a concrete floor, in order to prevent this. Placing a sub in a corner, referred to as corner loading, also reinforces bass output if you have a smaller sub or are looking for extra bass output.

I would definitely be happy if I had ceiling speakers in my new home, but I'd use them properly, for height speakers, and possibly for rear surround duties. For the main left / right and center channels I'd get regular floor standing speakers or maybe bookshelf speakers mounted on stands and placed appropriately.
i think i am gonnna just get a subwoofer and plug right into the receiver and leave in that area on floor or on furniture.

but if i run into a bunch of money down the road..... for ideal setup , dont use the two middle speakers, and use the front left and right as surround left and right, and the rear two as rear surround?

and then buy a subwoofer, center and front speakers?
Old 07-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm22 View Post
i think i am gonnna just get a subwoofer and plug right into the receiver and leave in that area on floor or on furniture.

but if i run into a bunch of money down the road..... for ideal setup , dont use the two middle speakers, and use the front left and right as surround left and right, and the rear two as rear surround?

and then buy a subwoofer, center and front speakers?

Just add a sub and run in 5.1 for the time being.

Do NOT put the sub in a corner, that WILL muddy the sound quality, and just let the center rear speaker do nothing. Lord only knows why it would have ever been put there to start with. Makes no sense at all.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement