DirectTV - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2019, 11:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 96

DirectTV

I own an apartment building that sits outside city limits and cannot get cable TV. All eight tenants have DirectTV dishes on their balconies which are both ugly and don't work well because there's a tree in the way for some.

Would there be any way I could get a big dish installed on the roof that could split to service all of them? Or does DirectTV have the be one dish per TV?

I've never used satellite TV myself, so sorry if this sounds stupid.
Thisiseasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 02:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 32

Re: DirectTV

I used to be an installer. Technically, you can run many, many set-top boxes off of one dish. I used to run into that at the tall apt buildings (techs piggy-backing off of other dishes) with cables just thrown over the side of the building down to a window. I also used to install boxes in buildings that had professionally installed dishes by contractors that supplied many units. It was a nice setup overall, and didn't look like a difficult install job because it was newer buildings and pre-wired. BUt, you have to go through DTV and get some sort of contract and professional install. I would call and ask them about it. It's been several years since I installed so things may have changed.

Last edited by neil86; 06-12-2019 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Misread post
neil86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neil86 For This Useful Post:
Thisiseasy (06-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 96

I talked with a local shop that sells DirectTV service and they're a local installer for DirectTV. It's going to cost about seven grand and they're even going to work with the subscribers to get the old dishes off the balconies and test service in each apartment. They're going to go through the walls so there will be no wires hanging off the walls/windows.
Thisiseasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
adam

Rewards Points: 136

It's definitely possible. It can be done with one cable from the satellite dish too. The term is SWM (pronounced SWIM) technology.

Make sure the installer weather seals the outdoor connectors or you might have issues down the road. Insist that they do this and take photos of it if possible. The weather boots on connectors aren't good enough, the entire connector should be wrapped in a moisture tight wrap. I'm a bit pessimistic about these things because I've seen some bad DirecTV installations thru the years.

This stuff is pretty good: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotc...BA-5/202195402
adamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement