Digital Adapter Problem? - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 199

Digital adapter problem?

I have an older tv in the bedroom. When everything went digital a few years ago, the cable company provided me with a digital adapter. It worked fine until last week.
The tv is kept on channel 3 and I use the digital adapter and its remote to change channels. Last week I was unable to change channels. I put fresh batteries in the remote but it didn't help. I called the cable company's tech support. She was unable to help and told me to return the remote to the local office and get another. I did so and also returned the digital adapter to swap out as well, as I thought the new adapter might not work with the old remote. (There were instructions on how to sync up the remote with different TV's to turn it on and off and change the volume, but nothing on syncing it up with an adapter.) They took it all back and gave me a box with a new remote and adapter. I hooked it up and per the instructions called the cable company's tech support so they could send out a signal to activate the adapter. It didn't work. I hooked up my daughter's new tv directly to the cable to make sure the cable was ok, and it worked fine. I connected a dvd player to my tv to make sure the tv still worked and that worked fine. It just doesn't seem to work with the digital adapter.
I'm hoping for suggestions on what else I might try to resolve this. I'd hate to have the cable company send out a repair person it it's something simple I should have done myself. Thanks in advance for any help.
bucksone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 668

1. You (or someone) used original tv remote and tried to change channel. Use it again to tune in channel 3. Then only use cable company's remote.
2. You (or someone) used original tv remote and switched input from tv to some other input like HDMI, compsite, or similar. Use original tv remote to get tv back to tv input and that tv is set to 'cable' and not 'antenna'.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diyorpay For This Useful Post:
Colbyt (10-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 199

1. We lost the original tv remote years ago and only use the cable company's remote.
2. I checked on this and the tv is set on cable, not antenna.

I got back on the phone with the cable company's tech support. Once he got me to sync up the new remote with the tv, he had me change to channel 20 and somehow this fixed the problem. He said something about them using channel 20 to fix problems like this. I don't understand this, but it works now so all is well.

Thanks for your suggestions.
bucksone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksone View Post
1. We lost the original tv remote years ago and only use the cable company's remote.
2. I checked on this and the tv is set on cable, not antenna.

I got back on the phone with the cable company's tech support. Once he got me to sync up the new remote with the tv, he had me change to channel 20 and somehow this fixed the problem. He said something about them using channel 20 to fix problems like this. I don't understand this, but it works now so all is well.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Some set the headnd at a certain frequency that hits the box with a signal to refresh it. Most companies have on their automated lines and in the acount a way to hit the box with the refresh also.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement