Wifi Network Crashing - Networking - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades > Networking

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 04-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 159
Rewards Points: 310
Default

Wifi Network Crashing


Setup
Cable Modem: Motorola Arris Surfboard
Switch: Tough Switch PoE Pro, TS-8-PRO
Access Points: UniFi Enterprise WiFi System
Router: Cisco of some sort (will have to get the model later).

I have 4 access points installed, distributed as evenly as possible around the property.

The guys that live in the house tell me that the system stops working multiple times per day. They reset the router and then it will work fine for a bit. It's never not worked when I'm present.

Sometimes there are upwards of 60+ devices (PCs, TVs, Laptops, gaming consoles) connected.

I used a wifi analyzer app and it's spread across channels 1, 6, and 11. 2.5GHz.

I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing the problem.

Any thoughts?
Fisher1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 6,075
Rewards Points: 2,514
Default

Re: Wifi Network Crashing


Not sure either with all that periphery connected. I had a similar problem in that the system would crash. Turned out to be the modem, which the provider replaced the first time free of charge. Then greed set in and they replaced it a second time a year later and wanted to charge me $10 a month. Heck modems sell for $30 online, so I opted out of that and sent it back to them.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
Fisher1871 (04-26-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Member
 
ZZZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Middle of nowhere, AZ
Posts: 7,482
Rewards Points: 1,684
Default

Re: Wifi Network Crashing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher1871 View Post
Setup
Cable Modem: Motorola Arris Surfboard
Switch: Tough Switch PoE Pro, TS-8-PRO
Access Points: UniFi Enterprise WiFi System
Router: Cisco of some sort (will have to get the model later).

I have 4 access points installed, distributed as evenly as possible around the property.

The guys that live in the house tell me that the system stops working multiple times per day. They reset the router and then it will work fine for a bit. It's never not worked when I'm present.

Sometimes there are upwards of 60+ devices (PCs, TVs, Laptops, gaming consoles) connected.

I used a wifi analyzer app and it's spread across channels 1, 6, and 11. 2.5GHz.

I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing the problem.

Any thoughts?
60 devices is A LOT for one router to route, especially if they're pulling a lot of bandwidth such as online gaming.

I'd check with Cisco support and see what they say. You may need to upgrade.
.
.
__________________
Just my 7 cents (2 cents after taxes and inflation).
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
Fisher1871 (04-26-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
Guapo
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 5,940
Rewards Points: 11,950
Default

Re: Wifi Network Crashing


It's simple math. It's crashing because the default DHCP range is probably only 50 IP addresses & they have more than 60 devices. A Class C subnet can handle up to 253 devices.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guap0_ For This Useful Post:
Fisher1871 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southeastern MA
Posts: 1,852
Rewards Points: 178
Default

Re: Wifi Network Crashing


If you have a UniFi controller running the event log should show you any issues with the APís. Iím guessing your router is running out of memory or is overheating.
__________________
Dan
djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djlandkpl For This Useful Post:
Fisher1871 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 159
Rewards Points: 310
Default

Re: Wifi Network Crashing


Great suggestions!

I'm trying to get in touch with guy that set up original network to see if the router/modem was configured in some way with the switch/APs.

I want to swap out both to test.

I believe the DHCP was set to 50-250 addresses. Can one do that without a class C subnet? Maybe he only partially set it up correctly to handle more than 50 devices.
Fisher1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 159
Rewards Points: 310
Default

Re: Wifi Network Crashing


I think I may start with upgrading to a netgear cm1000 and an edge router x sfp.

Remove the tough switch entirely.

The edge router will support the 4 APs I have plus a security camera system. I have the DHCP set to support from 50 - 250.
Fisher1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Guapo
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 5,940
Rewards Points: 11,950
Default

Re: Wifi Network Crashing


Quote:
I believe the DHCP was set to 50-250 addresses. Can one do that without a class C subnet?
The basic home router uses a Class C subnet by default. That will handle 253 devices. The DHCP default range is usually 50 addresses, wired or wireless. All wireless devices should be able to receive an IP address within 150' range without using any other hardware such as repeaters, extenders, switches, etc... If you still have trouble, list every device that you are using & how they are being used. The more info that you provide, the easier it will be to solve the problems.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 384
Rewards Points: 770
Default

Re: Wifi Network Crashing


interesting
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southeastern MA
Posts: 1,852
Rewards Points: 178
Default

Re: Wifi Network Crashing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher1871 View Post
I think I may start with upgrading to a netgear cm1000 and an edge router x sfp.

Remove the tough switch entirely.

The edge router will support the 4 APs I have plus a security camera system. I have the DHCP set to support from 50 - 250.
You should consider a switch and/or router from the UniFi line since you already have the APs. Essentially the same ad EdgeRouter but with different badging. The UniFi controller integrates all of the devices.
__________________
Dan
djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djlandkpl For This Useful Post:
Fisher1871 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 159
Rewards Points: 310
Default

Re: Wifi Network Crashing


Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
You should consider a switch and/or router from the UniFi line since you already have the APs. Essentially the same ad EdgeRouter but with different badging. The UniFi controller integrates all of the devices.
Good idea.

I ordered the Ubiquiti router. The APs are 2ghz (or 2.x whatever). I am considering upgrading those to 5ghz and if I do so, I'll use Ubiquiti. Keep all the hardward the same.
Fisher1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrier Infinity Wifi Thermostat not working Hawkeye481 New Member Introductions 0 09-14-2017 08:53 AM
Honeywell 8000 wifi problem Patrick Eubanks HVAC 9 11-16-2013 01:20 PM
1958 Ranch Home, Full of Character - First Home, First Major Project Thadius856 Project Showcase 519 05-11-2013 09:43 PM
Converting cable Internet to WiFi?? polarzak PC Repairs & Upgrades 7 06-25-2012 08:49 PM
Please Help - Weird electrical issue affecting home network sxpsxpsxp Electrical 23 02-03-2008 11:42 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts